Altus PD 800 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Nice but a repeater needs to be updated and new system worked on if they have dead spots that close in such a small town.

n5bew1

Lots of gaps in information in this story. Altus appears to be on VHF now. So are they wanting to put in a small 800 trunking system?? Baker peak has really good coverage but handheld coverage in Altus??

N5TWB

Lots of gaps in information in this story. Altus appears to be on VHF now. So are they wanting to put in a small 800 trunking system?? Baker peak has really good coverage but handheld coverage in Altus??

Since the APX 8000 is a 4-band radio (VHF, UHF, UHF-T, 700/800), it can operate on their current VHF frequencies as well as being capable in the state 800 system. You're right that there's a lack of info on their future plans. The area's OHP Troop M is only nominally on the 800 system but there's no info on any talkgroup assignments for APD to put their new capability to use.

Even more interesting is the $4100 per unit price they got on that purchase. I'd understood most of the APX line model numbers were close to the price. Looking at the Motorola list of options, it appears there are ways to keep costs down.

n5bew1

Since the APX 8000 is a 4-band radio (VHF, UHF, UHF-T, 700/800), it can operate on their current VHF frequencies as well as being capable in the state 800 system. You're right that there's a lack of info on their future plans. The area's OHP Troop M is only nominally on the 800 system but there's no info on any talkgroup assignments for APD to put their new capability to use.

Even more interesting is the $4100 per unit price they got on that purchase. I'd understood most of the APX line model numbers were close to the price. Looking at the Motorola list of options, it appears there are ways to keep costs down.

Nice info to know I was not familiar with that particular Motorola radio. Sounds like a Swiss Army hand held.:)
Sounds like several OHP troops are using the 800 system under the rules if you can get a signal use 800. I have heard Enid, Durant, and Perry all doing this.

KX5MOT

The APX8000 can be ordered with 1 to 4 bands so they necessarily didn't buy all bands, since the APX7000 is rumored to be canceled in the near future, the 8000 will be the replacement.

My guess is at the price listed in the article for 4 radios they bought VHF/7-800 units which is what you find most APX7000 users have in OK.

N5TWB

The APX8000 can be ordered with 1 to 4 bands so they necessarily didn't buy all bands, since the APX7000 is rumored to be canceled in the near future, the 8000 will be the replacement.

My guess is at the price listed in the article for 4 radios they bought VHF/7-800 units which is what you find most APX7000 users have in OK.

Thanks, Jon - I didn't read real deep into the specs to find you could customize the number of bands in the radio. And it certainly does explain the price.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
the altus pd has been getting visits from the motorola sales team here latley. wasting money they dont have. the baker peak site does ok for mobiles in altus but not portables.

Status
Not open for further replies.