Pro-668 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I hope this question hasn't been asked before if it has Im sorry I didn't find it.

Usually when i plugged my Pro-668 into my computer the radio shack screen comes up and looks for updates and allows you to access the scanner. But for the last few weeks I plug it in and that screen wont pop up and I have tried this on a couple of computers and still nothing. it does pop up the file screen but not the usual one.

Do i have a bad sd card or just needs to be reset?
Thanks
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

seth21w

Does the computer side software recognize the scanner? You can check by going to scanner/sdcard at top left and see if it will let you set the time to the computer time. If not you may have to check unsigned drivers again you have to redo this any time your computer does a windows update.

marksmith

There is an option that needs to be set for it to automatically check for updates, etc. I have that turned off on mine and manually tell it to do that when I want to.

Usually I am just tweaking something in the setup, and don't want it to automatically update the database and definitely not the firmware. I like to review the purpose for firmware updates and also see if anyone has had problems before I upgrade firmware.

If you can still upload or download data files to the scanner, you just need to turn the automatic function back on.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

KB0VWG

Hear are some attachments

The computer recognizes the scanner no problem. And it does this same thing on my other computers too.
Please see attachments.
kb0vwg
wqoi992
Thanks

Attachments

• Pic1.PNG
    Pic1.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 325
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 320

marksmith

This tells me that the computer is recognizing the SD card in the scanner, and not necessarily the scanner itself, which requires a driver.

Open iScan to determine if it is recognizing the scanner device. Try to update firmware and you will know if it is recognizing the scanner.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

KB0VWG

Reinstalled he driver and the software now were are back in business.
Thanks for the help.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have never seen a piece of hardware that interfaces with computers be such a pain in the butt, in my over 36 years working with computers, software, and hardware! It should not be so unstable, and uncertain! Whistler really needs to resolve this quagmire, and also supply their software/drivers on a CD like everyone else!

I had a PRO-668. Currently I have a WS-1088, and a WS-1098. None have them been a smooth straight forward process, with Windows 7 Pro, or Windows 10. Yes I was able to get everything working, but it was just too much BS'ing around to do so! So unecessary today!

Ed6698

What I do not understand is why some have so much trouble getting these scanners to work with a computer, while some don't have any problem.

Both my 1080 and 1095 installs were totally simple. Been using EZScan for the 1080 for over a year now, EzScan for the 1095 for 6 months or so both on the same computer. No issues what so ever and I am using Windows 10 x64.

I build my own desktop computers the way I want. Just wondering if some are having the issues with named brand computers like HP, Dell, or using a laptop. Took me under 5 minutes to get both scanners working with the procedure here. I am no expert at a computer either, but know my way around with desktop computers.

http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/317662-whistler-scanners-windows-10-a.html

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
What I do not understand is why some have so much trouble getting these scanners to work with a computer, while some don't have any problem.

Both my 1080 and 1095 installs were totally simple. Been using EZScan for the 1080 for over a year now, EzScan for the 1095 for 6 months or so both on the same computer. No issues what so ever and I am using Windows 10 x64.

I build my own desktop computers the way I want. Just wondering if some are having the issues with named brand computers like HP, Dell, or using a laptop. Took me under 5 minutes to get both scanners working with the procedure here. I am no expert at a computer either, but know my way around with desktop computers.

http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/317662-whistler-scanners-windows-10-a.html
Were is the like button!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

You seem to contradict yourself, when you said "No issues what so ever and I am using Windows 10 x64." Yet you quote a link at the bottom of your post that provided a necessary workaround in order to get the unsigned drivers installed with Windows 10!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The problem occurs when you connect the scanner to your computer via a USB port. Windows attempts to install a driver to support the scanner's internal USB-to-serial adapter circuit. In doing so, it installs the wrong driver, and it does not work properly. You need to connect to the scanner to the USB port, so you can attempt to access the software/drivers that are supplied on the memory card.

Had the proper drivers were available on a CD to begin with, this all could have been avoided. The drivers are unsigned, so you need to bypass that obstacle, again, so uneccssary!

Ed6698

I did use that procedure, considering it took less then 5 minutes to correct it,I hardly call it a issue. That is why I am wondering if it has to do with Pre built bought computers

From what I have read this is a Windows issue, not a Whistler issue.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I did use that procedure, considering it took less then 5 minutes to correct it,I hardly call it a issue. That is why I am wondering if it has to do with Pre built bought computers

From what I have read this is a Windows issue, not a Whistler issue.

My point is it should not be necessary. I just installed a Brother Color Laser printer, a P-Touch label printer, and a page-scanner. All on USB ports. Everything just worked, the first try, no workarounds, etc. It took about 3 minutes, first pass.

Whistler supplied the unsigned drivers that are causing some people difficulty, not Microsoft.
It is the responsibility of the hardware manufacture to supply the proper signed drivers for their own devices.

Other than that, Whistler scanners are awesome!

Ed6698

Until someone comes here that that knows more about this issue can explain it, the inf file is not actually a driver from what I understand, all it does is tell the Windows driver to use it for the USB port some how since Windows won't do it.

I believe the originator of the procedures for the work around has explained it one time or another. The issue is in Windows.

Whistler even explain on their website it is a Windows issue, as the inf is not a actual driver.

Last edited:

TAbirdman

From DonS on this thread on GRE page: http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/303131-gre-made-scanner-firmware-update-3.html post #41 Sums it up!

The truly annoying part is that the PSR-800 doesn't require any drivers that are not already present on a Windows 7/8 system. All that's required is a .INF file that says "hey, Windows, for this USB serial device, use the USBSER.SYS driver that Microsoft provided and which is already in C:\Windows\System32".

Status
Not open for further replies.