Spotsylvania new P25 P2 startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi Dave, I noticed that now they are simulcasting the SO as well. I am getting a lot of garbled traffic. What do your decoding set at? My is auto.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
It seems to me that they are turning the P25 transmissions on and off.
Yes, I noticed that yesterday Mike. The dispatcher was garbled but the mobiles were good. Tones were garbled. But it is still a new system being tune. The number of sites compared to their present system should present a great improvement in coverage. Oh, another Mike is tweaking it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4625_khz

The new P25 system is partially online. The Chancellor, Livingston and Wilderness sites are still on EDACS and have not been switched over. The Overview site is still in the planning phase, I don't believe a final location has been settled yet. The Belmont site has a tower installed but no building or equipment. The remaining sites, as far as I know, are on and microwave linked. The techs are simulcasting the patrol 1 dispatch audio; they may have also turned on the fire dispatch audio, but I don't have any P25 monitoring equipment yet and hadn't spoken to them in a while. What little I've seen so far seems promising, looks like portable coverage on P25 may be better in some areas than it was with EDACS mobiles.

dtscho

Database Admin
Hi Dave, I noticed that now they are simulcasting the SO as well. I am getting a lot of garbled traffic. What do your decoding set at? My is auto.

Yes, I think the poor audio quality is just because it's a new system. I'm sure they'll tune it up.

Dave

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I heard Spotsy bring their P25 system audio back up around 4pm today. The talk seemed to be centered around something about the electricity. I seen their carrier all week but heard nothing audio wise out of it.

fredva

Feed Provider
I heard Spotsy bring their P25 system audio back up around 4pm today. The talk seemed to be centered around something about the electricity. I seen their carrier all week but heard nothing audio wise out of it.

I heard some audio earlier this week on my way home from work. I think it was Tuesday. But shortly after I got home it went silent. I don't know how long it had been broadcasting transmissions. The audio that I hear on my 436 is clear but I often don't get the entire transmission.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I was running the 436 in discovery on site ten today and picked up a test 1,2,3 on 5951 talk group. There was a little activity on 5950 also but for the most part the transmissions were garbled. Scanner showed very strong signal and the test 1,2,3, came in loud and clear compared to the other talk group. I have the threshold set to manual 7.

fredva

Feed Provider
I was running the 436 in discovery on site ten today and picked up a test 1,2,3 on 5951 talk group. There was a little activity on 5950 also but for the most part the transmissions were garbled. Scanner showed very strong signal and the test 1,2,3, came in loud and clear compared to the other talk group. I have the threshold set to manual 7.

I've been wondering if the garbled/broken transmissions were a result of piping the EDACS system to the new system. Perhaps 5951 sounded better because it's not connected to the old system. Just a theory.

K4APR

I've been wondering if the garbled/broken transmissions were a result of piping the EDACS system to the new system. Perhaps 5951 sounded better because it's not connected to the old system. Just a theory.

It's most likely one side is running encryption (AES or DES-XL) and the other is in the clear. This is quite common on STARS. Sometimes it's a case of one side doesn't know they are running encryption, but the user at the other end has no idea because the audio is automatically decrypted.

Dafe1er

It's most likely one side is running encryption (AES or DES-XL) and the other is in the clear. This is quite common on STARS. Sometimes it's a case of one side doesn't know they are running encryption, but the user at the other end has no idea because the audio is automatically decrypted.

I would think that if it were encryption, it would not let the audio out and just show the tg id and the radio id.....kinda like it does for the Stafford radios that are encrypted.

Either way, I'm going to try to catch as much as possible before they throw the full encryption switch this summer/ fall.

fredva

Feed Provider
I will hear the first part of a deputy's transmission, then I lose it mid-sentence. If encryption was the issue, it would affect the entire transmission.

Dafe1er

The past couple days they have been actively testing the system. Yesterday they were simulcasting Fire/EMS, The Sheriff Dispatch channel and also Tac-1 through talkgroup 5951. Talk group 5952 also came up but the transmissions were encrypted. The testing they have been doing this morning has been going on with TGID's: 6030, 6001, 65170 and 6002. One minute they are doing testing in the clear and the next, they are encrypted.

So, I am sure once this is all running they will be in the dark for most of us. Start getting prepared for it folks.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Anybody heard if Spotsylvania still going to their new system by July 1st?

fredva

Feed Provider
Anybody heard if Spotsylvania still going to their new system by July 1st?

I don't know, but given the amount of time the system has been online recently for testing, I wouldn't be too surprised if they meet that date.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
It seems the tech's are pushing hard to get this new system operational by July 1st. The communications situation for several hours yesterday afternoon showed how poor the HH side really is. I really hope this improves for the SO fast. I noticed here at the house that the signal levels with the P25 varies so much!
BenS

Status
Not open for further replies.