Metrolinx/Go bus service

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
Go bus service will be available in Brantford, starting this coming September. Has anyone in the area been able to receive a Metrolinx site from Brantford. I would like to start listening in the fall.

Andy

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Good question.

If Spectrum Direct was working I'd take a look for new licences in the Brantford area but since it's been totally borked for months, there's no hope of doing that.

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
I have never been able to pick up a signal from my location using a discone antenna. Just curious if they would need to add another tower site. As you said, if they ever get spectrum direct functioning I can search for new licences.

Thanks,
Andy

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I was able to pull a rudimentary search out and I didn't see anything for Brantford.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Seeing a new site pop up is often a good way to tell when service is coming. As an example, there was a site in Niagara pumping out comms for about a year before service to Niagara was even announced.

slicerwizard

I have never been able to pick up a signal from my location using a discone antenna. Just curious if they would need to add another tower site. As you said, if they ever get spectrum direct functioning I can search for new licences.
Control channels are ridiculously easy to search for (I assume you're referring to the MetroLinx P25 trunking system) - and some of the existing sites would be broadcasting data for a new neighbour.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
East Simulcast is showing Peterborough, Uxbridge and West Simulcast as neighbours
West Simulcast is showing Niagara, East Simulcast and Kitchener as neighbours
Niagara is showing West Simulcast as a neighbour.

I'm not in range of Kitchener, but I'd bet it is only showing West as a neighbour - it would make sense to have Brantford included in West's neighbour list as well.

mciupa

The route will probably be an extension of Southwest since the destination from Brantford is Aldershot during the rush hours starting September.

Niagara is over 100 km's away, while Kitchener is less than 50 km's. I wonder if consideration would be given to the 410.3125 control channel (that Niagara has) for Brantford, although I see it is Kitchener's alternate.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Kitchener is showing West Simulcast and Niagara as neighbors.

East Simulcast is showing Peterborough, Uxbridge and West Simulcast as neighbours
West Simulcast is showing Niagara, East Simulcast and Kitchener as neighbours
Niagara is showing West Simulcast as a neighbour.

I'm not in range of Kitchener, but I'd bet it is only showing West as a neighbour - it would make sense to have Brantford included in West's neighbour list as well.

ATCTech

Without digging in to the lat/long etc. of the west simulcast site, it's not unreasonable to think that Brantford could easily be covered from the existing Hamilton/Waterdown (or where-ever it lives, presumably on the escarpment) location when the bus traffic would be traveling highway 403.

As for your receiving capabilities, I'm in Milton and both the West Simulcast and Niagara sites are perfectly receivable/decodable using a couple of dongles and a discone here. I'm partially blocked to the south and southwest by the escarpment, and not at all on top of it. As for Kitchener though, nada. Prehistoric 300' tall rock walls under 2km away to the west will do that to ya!

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Without digging in to the lat/long etc. of the west simulcast site, it's not unreasonable to think that Brantford could easily be covered from the existing Hamilton/Waterdown (or where-ever it lives, presumably on the escarpment) location when the bus traffic would be traveling highway 403.
The Waterdown site is 40 km from the west side of Brantford, so coverage should be ok.

icarus1963

Premium Subscriber
The Waterdown site is 40 km from the west side of Brantford, so coverage should be ok.

I re-located my antenna to make sure it was clear the peak of the house (which it wasn't). I can now pick up the West simulcast control channel, but still at a weak 3 bars. Do they use high gain antenna on the buses? As slicewizard has said, they may have sufficient coverage without adding any further sites.

Andy

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I believe GO has deployed mobile repeaters in stations where coverage is marginal.

I'd expect to hear some coverage testing just before the new routes go into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.