• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bird 43 Wattmeter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0nhp

AM is a modulated CW so yes it will work on full carrier AM.
FM is frequency modulated CW and yes it will work just fine.
SSB deletes the carrier wave so the 43 will not give you a true representation of the envelope power. It will give you a relative power out and SWR however (using the right slug).
To look at PEP output (SSB) you would need the 43P or one of their other Peak Envelope Power reading meters.

Bruce

teufler

look at a Telewave 44AP. By the time you get a Bird 43, then buy a handfull of slugs, you will get a 50 watt for your mobile and a large one for hf, then some others to match what you need, the Telewave needs no slugs, covers from 20 mhz to 1000 mhz, power from 5 watts to 500, you are money ahead to get the Telewave. Same drop resistant case, just you don't need slugs.

prcguy

I have a couple of Bird 43s and had two Telewave 44s but only have one now. Everyone knows what a Bird 43 is and they are very reliable and fairly consistent in accuracy. The Telewave meters are not the same quality and mine were not as consistent across the full range of the meter.

All my bird meters and slugs agree very close but the Telewave meters were off some from each other and below about half scale on the meter face the readings were not agreeing with each other or the Bird 43s. Another problem with the Telewave is below about 100MHz you have to use a correction chart which adds another layer of doubt.

I keep the Telewave around for relative measurements but don't trust it for anything I would risk my licenses on. I'll stick with my Bird 43s and verify their accuracy with my 1/2% accuracy HP power meter and calibrated attenuators.
prcguy

look at a Telewave 44AP. By the time you get a Bird 43, then buy a handfull of slugs, you will get a 50 watt for your mobile and a large one for hf, then some others to match what you need, the Telewave needs no slugs, covers from 20 mhz to 1000 mhz, power from 5 watts to 500, you are money ahead to get the Telewave. Same drop resistant case, just you don't need slugs.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree on the TeleWave's. They are a good "go, no-go" indication of RF power, but no where near accurate enough for anything serious. I bought one at work and have been overall disappointed with it. I bring my own Bird 43 in from home if I need accuracy.

Don't overlook the used market on the Bird 43's. There really isn't much to them. There the meter, an interconnecting cable and the line section. Not much to go wrong. You can purchase replacement parts for them easily. I picked up my first 43 for less than $100. Looks pretty rough, but works just fine.
I'd be slightly wary of used slugs, though.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have a Telewave 44A that I use at home for ham stuff, but we use the Bird 4410A at work. Although much more accurate, I just don't like the multiple elements. Would the Bird 4304A be a good compromise, or would it be the Telewave's twin? I see that it uses conversion charts for below 100 MHz just like the 44A. Thoughts?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I agree on the TeleWave's. They are a good "go, no-go" indication of RF power, but no where near accurate enough for anything serious. I bought one at work and have been overall disappointed with it. I bring my own Bird 43 in from home if I need accuracy.

Don't overlook the used market on the Bird 43's. There really isn't much to them. There the meter, an interconnecting cable and the line section. Not much to go wrong. You can purchase replacement parts for them easily. I picked up my first 43 for less than $100. Looks pretty rough, but works just fine.
I'd be slightly wary of used slugs, though.

I paid $120 for mine with case and a slug. It was in pretty good shape. A friend bought a trashed one for $5 (meter was good) and recased it for $75.

Status
Not open for further replies.