Help with Rasp Pi and RTL Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Okay guys, I need some help. I want to be able to run my current feed off my Rasp Pi using the RTL SDR. I have gone through all the setup and its not working. I am not too familiar with linux so im probably missing something simple.

Now, I had setup at first using this: Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Image - The RadioReference Wiki
And I was able to run the feed with my current scanner without a problem.

Now I started to follow these directions to try to transition to running the feed with the RTL device:
I have followed the directions found here: Raspberry Pi RTL-SDR Broadcastify - The RadioReference Wiki

At this moment, I just want to get one feed up and online using this method, and then I am planning to add a second RTL and add a second feed this way too.

My feed is FM and scans 460.575, 460.525, 453.8, 453.9, 453.6, 453.5, and 460.6. When playing with the RTL on my laptop, I determined I needed 60 ppm. So if I understand correctly, this is what my code should be (Assuming I did everything correctly up to this point--I think)

/usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -d 0 -M fm -f 460.575M -f 460.525M -f 453.8M -f 453.9M -f 453.6M -f 453.5M -f 460.6M -p 60 -l 65 -g 40 -t 2 -E pad -s 12k |
/usr/bin/lame -r -s 12 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - - |
/usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml > /var/log/bcfy2.log 2>&1 &

Where does this code go? Let me know if I need to backup a step or two.

Thanks in advance for any help

DC31

Feed Provider
Okay guys, I need some help. I want to be able to run my current feed off my Rasp Pi using the RTL SDR. I have gone through all the setup and its not working. I am not too familiar with linux so im probably missing something simple.

Now, I had setup at first using this: Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Image - The RadioReference Wiki
And I was able to run the feed with my current scanner without a problem.

Now I started to follow these directions to try to transition to running the feed with the RTL device:
I have followed the directions found here: Raspberry Pi RTL-SDR Broadcastify - The RadioReference Wiki

At this moment, I just want to get one feed up and online using this method, and then I am planning to add a second RTL and add a second feed this way too.

My feed is FM and scans 460.575, 460.525, 453.8, 453.9, 453.6, 453.5, and 460.6. When playing with the RTL on my laptop, I determined I needed 60 ppm. So if I understand correctly, this is what my code should be (Assuming I did everything correctly up to this point--I think)

/usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -d 0 -M fm -f 460.575M -f 460.525M -f 453.8M -f 453.9M -f 453.6M -f 453.5M -f 460.6M -p 60 -l 65 -g 40 -t 2 -E pad -s 12k |
/usr/bin/lame -r -s 12 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - - |
/usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml > /var/log/bcfy2.log 2>&1 &

Where does this code go? Let me know if I need to backup a step or two.

Thanks in advance for any help

I am no linux expert, either, but i have learned many of the pitfalls along the way. First of all, what looks like three lines of code in your post is one line, i don't know if you have figured that out. It took me a while.

The vertical line | is a pipe meaning take the output from the first part and use it as input to the next part. So your line of code near where the pipes are should look like this:

...12k | /usr/bin ... lowpass 4 -- | /usr/bin/ezstream ...

Remember, all one line.

Good luck with it and please post back here your results, I, for one, am quite interested.

Sorry, it looks like i didn't realy answer your question. That line of code goes at the command prompt ($).

Last edited:

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
I actually got it working late last night. I just got my 2nd feed approved so I played around with that and was able to get it all running for that feed. I'm planning to buy a second RTL and hopefully transition my other feed to it as well, to free up that scanner.

Here is the link to the feed running off of the Pi and RTL right now: Schenectady City Police

DC31

Feed Provider
I actually got it working late last night. I just got my 2nd feed approved so I played around with that and was able to get it all running for that feed. I'm planning to buy a second RTL and hopefully transition my other feed to it as well, to free up that scanner.

Here is the link to the feed running off of the Pi and RTL right now: Schenectady City Police

Great news, Alex. You have been more successful than me!

Have you tried monitoring only one of your frequencies rather than scanning? Your frequencies are very close to mine. When i monitor 460.400 (the local fire freq), 460.350 (the local police freq) bleeds in to it. You are monitoring frequencies that are closer together than that but when scanning you probably wouldn't notice any bleeding through.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Great news, Alex. You have been more successful than me!

Have you tried monitoring only one of your frequencies rather than scanning? Your frequencies are very close to mine. When i monitor 460.400 (the local fire freq), 460.350 (the local police freq) bleeds in to it. You are monitoring frequencies that are closer together than that but when scanning you probably wouldn't notice any bleeding through.

The current feed I have running on it is not the freqs I listed above, but its one channel thats 155.640 and the other is 460.400. I will be trying the frequencies listed above soon when I get a second RTL-SDR.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Okay running into a problem. Over the last hour or so the audio seems to be a skipping type of noise whenever there is a transmission. You can not hear any voices, just like a carrier opening and dropping every second or so. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.