• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Freeband

Status
Not open for further replies.

friskidog

Just wondering if there's much activity up there these days. I'm running legal now but thinking about getting another export.

PrimeNumber

OK that was fun, but to answer your question for real, skip's been way down on CB and is only going to get worse over the next what 5 years. Unless there's somebody you want to talk to locally who's freebanding too, it's probably not worth the effort.

Token

First, freeband = illegal. I don't do it, but I am not my brothers keeper. With that said...

It is absolutely true we are on the downward slope of a dismal Solar Cycle. Even at its peak it was not very good. And it will definitely get worse over the next few years. However, that does not mean that 11 and 10 M, and anything in between, will be a wasteland. While good conditions will not be an everyday thing they will happen. And possibly more often than some people realize.

15 minutes ago, at 0100 UTC or 1800 local, I took this shot of the spectrum:
large.jpg

A more detailed, and larger, version of this image is here:
http://www.pbase.com/token/image/163111447/original.jpg

Certainly the spectrum is not as full as it might be, but obviously there is activitiy there. Frequency is left to right, low to high. Channel 1 is marked, channel 6 is marked, and channel 40 is marked. Everything to the right of CH40 on that image would be "freeband", and there appear to be many conversations going on, I would say at least 20 in the 30 seconds represented in the image. I suspect earlier in the day there would have been more.

T!

Token

Neat chart. How does a person find charts like this on the web? Or was it some software that compiled the data as an output within a given band?

This is a combined waterfall (the bottom part) and spectrum display (the top part) from SpectraVue which is looking at data from an RFSpace NetSDR, a software defined radio.

The NetSDR can look at pieces of spectrum up to 35 MHz wide, and show, in real time, all of the signals in that 35 MHz. In this case I set it to 1 MHz wide, from 26900 kHz to 27900 kHz. The waterfall portion is a running histogram of signals, frequency on the X axis (left to right, low freq on the left), time on the Y axis (up to down, newest signals at the top), and signal strength in the Z axis (stronger signals are lighter colors).

There are SDRs to be found online, WebSDR and SDR-Radio are a couple of examples, but this one was a local SDR at my home.

T!

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So I took a Picture from my SDR Setup.
Channel 1 - 40 above are Channels for Various "Voice Channels" who the called official and above them Amateur Radio.

This picture is without the Noise from Powerline.

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 752

RFI-EMI-GUY

How much of the stuff below and above CH 40 is FM? Ch 40 and below would be UK hams, above CH 40 would be Part 90 and federal land mobile.

Your_account

Banned
Here in Europe you have on CB AM, FM, SSB. Some country like UK and PL have an differed Frequency.
In Germany and CZ the also have CH 40 - 80.

Above CB are in Austria Commercial (?!) Channels and Amateur. Below? I dont know. There is nothing interesting. Police and Fire, Ambulance use Tetra Radio 380Mhz - 400Mhz.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was asking Token because I am curious what activity can be heard in the US. Is there much UK or EU FM activity?

Token

I was asking Token because I am curious what activity can be heard in the US. Is there much UK or EU FM activity?

I did not realize you were asking me.

While there is some occasional FM activity both above channel 40 and below channel 1 I typically see very little here below 29500 kHz. In the image I posted there was no FM activity that I know of, it was all SSB and AM, naturally there may have been one or two FM signals buried in there that I missed, but nothing that stood out.

From 29500 kHz up I see FM. The 10 meter ham FM segment is 29500 to 29700 kHz, and various business, public service, military, etc, can be found from 29700 kHz up in FM mode.

T!

RFI-EMI-GUY

It bugs me the FCC won't entertain some novel improvements to 11M CB to bring order. 1) phase out AM in preference for FM. 2) Permit CTCSS tone squelch 3) Permit Frequency Hop Spread Spectrum using a preset number of hopping codes. Now instead of 40 channels full of noise, you could have 512 hopping codes and reliable local (and DX) communications. This coukd be done within the pricepoint of a premium SSB radio or less.

gewecke

Banned
It bugs me the FCC won't entertain some novel improvements to 11M CB to bring order. 1) phase out AM in preference for FM. 2) Permit CTCSS tone squelch 3) Permit Frequency Hop Spread Spectrum using a preset number of hopping codes. Now instead of 40 channels full of noise, you could have 512 hopping codes and reliable local (and DX) communications. This coukd be done within the pricepoint of a premium SSB radio or less.
You can tuck that dream under your pillow and wish for a NPRM in the morning but seriously, it's not going to happen. 11meters is not worth that kind of attention. Even allowing FM in the U.S. is not in the slightest of any interest to the FCC, much less tone squelch or FHSS. 73, n9zas

TheSpaceMann

Way too many AM CB radios already out there! The have been selling AM CBs for almost 60 years!!

Token

Not gonna happen, no matter how good an idea it might be.

The least intrusive suggestion you have is the replacement of AM with FM.

They can’t afford to police CB now more than a token amount, there is no way they could force the existing users to abandon their existing radios and buy all new gear to accommodate the new mandated mode. At BEST they could introduce FM as an allowed mode and only certificate FM only radios (no new certificated AM or SSB radios), possibly steering the users towards FM. And then you have this mish-mash of incompatible modes on the air.

As for replacement with FHSS, that just ain’t even in the wildest pipe dreams. Again, how would they force people to go to the new mode over their existing radios? And even if EVERY US user (the FCC being a US specific regulatory agency) did convert to FHSS CB the rest of the World would not, and so you would again have this mish-mash of modes, when South American, Central American, Pacific, Asian, and sometimes European stations skip into the US.

T!

krokus

Premium Subscriber

There would be interesting disputes between the sidebanders and newer technologies.

Sent via Tapatalk

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
The changes suggested about altering

the 11 meter CB band just ain't gonna happen. That band has been a thorn in the side of the FCC for many years. They will not entertain the thoughts suggested. One, the cost will be very high; two, it would only be a very few CBers who would buy the over priced transceivers; three, why do such a thing as has been suggested?
CB is fine as it is now. And yes, some oversea countries do have FM and other modes in their 11 meter bands. We don't need those alterations. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.