Location update with GPS - not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I have the current FW 536 with the Uniden GPS receiver.

This is what I am running into:

The scanner does not automatically update the scan lists as I travel around the area. I have the range set for 1 - 5 miles as I am testing this.

Disclaminer: I do not have the GPS plugged into 12vDC - however the scanner does get a general location when I go into the autolocate.

Part of the issue I am having is that its not really ranging anywhere close when I went out of state. For instance, I was in City A, and asking if I was in County B 50 miles south. I would select no, and then ask if I was in County B, further south of County A. GPS receiver was on the dashboard with a clear view.

I haven't played with a Uniden GPS enabled scanner (I do have a HP1, but never hooked up a GPS). My understanding is that as you move thru your "Range", it should auto update. Currently, the 536 is not.

Any suggestions or what am I missing, I don't see anything obvious.

D

darunimal

Auto locate works off matching a frequency or 2 it hears with the internal database, it doesn't use the GPS at all. GPS-use works with Departments (Sites) & (TGID Groups) or (Conventional Frequency "Systems"). "Disclaminer: I do not have the GPS plugged into 12vDC" - you might want to Plug it in power and the scanner for it to work, but make sure if you "added stuff by hand" you have "Location Control Enabled" not just the one in the Main "Menu" but also in the Departments and Systems, or 0.0.0 will make the scanner not turn them on unless you are in the BAY OF BENGAL

marksmith

The gps must be powered to work, so that's one issue.

Second is as noted above.... you must either be using the full database, or be using favorites lists that you have designated as location control on in the software. Also, anything you "add" must also have the gps coordinates and a specified range entered under the system, department and talkgroups.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, Auto locate does not use GPS and does not continuously check. It is a one time process that determines your general location (within 30 miles) using radio tower data.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
So in short, once the gps is powered it should be a hands off feature b

Status
Not open for further replies.