What Digital Voice Formats Are Popular On HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I still haven't bought a DMR/D-Star/YSF/NXDN radio yet. Until now, I assumed that those were only for VHF/UHF. Now I have heard that hams on HF are using some other digital modes. How is that working out? I assume it is upsetting some/many SSB folks. How well does YSF or D-Star work out on HF?

nd5y

Not sure why you think it would upset SSB folks?
I think he means digital voice modes like what is used on VHF/UHF, not data modes which have been commonly used by hams on HF for decades. None of the modes on the WB8NUT page you linked to are for digital voice.

I don't think YSF, D-STAR, DMR, etc. would be legal in the US because the bandwidth those modes occupy is way more than what is allowed for voice transmissions. 4 kHz NXDN would probably be legal but I don't know if there is any way to do that on HF. A few manufacturers over the years made HF digital voice modems but they were expensive and never caught on.

Last edited:

ButchGone

Many hams are opposed to change, and oppose digital voice on HF and even on VHF/UHF. In fact, on one local fusion repeater, if a couple of hams use the digital voice mode the hams opposed to change will kerchunk, or QRM the conversation by keying up in analog mode in at attempt to keep the repeater from being operated in the digital mode.
It's the same crowd that complained about dropping the requirement for morse code proficiency to get a license, that feels the only "real" hams use morse code.
But the reality is that innovation and modernization will continue. As technology develops there will continue to be new ways of doing things, and that includes the advance of digital voice technologies.
As for being legal, yes it is. DStar uses a 4.8khz bandwidth, smaller than the bandwidth needed for the ancient AM mode and FM voice mode that a handful of folks still use on HF.
BG..

toastycookies

I think he means digital voice modes like what is used on VHF/UHF, not data modes which have been commonly used by hams on HF for decades. None of the modes on the WB8NUT page you linked to are for digital voice.

I don't think YSF, D-STAR, DMR, etc. would be legal in the US because the bandwidth those modes occupy is way more than what is allowed for voice transmissions. 4 kHz NXDN would probably be legal but I don't know if there is any way to do that on HF. A few manufacturers over the years made HF digital voice modems but they were expensive and never caught on.

D-STAR on HF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGF-qkdoid4

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
They have a D-Star HF Net on one of the VHF/UHF/DVAP reflectors where they test D-Star on different HF frequencies. The net controller calls the HF frequency and everyone goes there. After making HF contacts, everyone returns to the reflector to discuss the results.

D-STAR HF Net - D-STAR Info

I've heard them on the HF frequencies. My HF rig doesn't decode D-Star, but you can hear the distinctive sound.

djs13pa

Spread Spectrum has some adherents. There are also quite a few ALE Ops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1MO-Bob

Premium Subscriber
You might want to join the Google group for the Yaesu 991 There are a few people trying to set up schedules on HF with the Fusion mode of that radio. It also appears that there were random Fusion contacts on 10 meters when the band was open.
Bob

djs13pa

ALE is not a digital voice mode.... Plus some ALEs make be burp.
prcguy

Lol at burp but ALE is not considered digital? Is it because the information is not digital even though the frequency hopping algorithm is? (Ignorance not snarky)

Status
Not open for further replies.