GPS Questions-Am I doing something wrong (Probably)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

As a point of reference only.... I have a 996XT with the Uniden GP18 GPS puck and it works fine. When connected I get the screen display and beep with "GPS Connected". If I have selected a System Quick Key to monitor and it is out of my current lat/lon/distance set location via software programing "Unlocked" will display and a "beep" heard and when at specified radius edge of the distant SQK, the GPS beeps with a "Locked" display on the SQK and a "beep"..
-------
My 536 GPS issue (Lack of comparable audio/screen display GPS status feedback?)

I have viewed all three YouTube videos on 536 location scanning and as usual with most help YouTube videos my exact situation or issues never are discussed.

I programed my 536 mostly by importing my 996XT files using ARC536PRO doing editing and file transfers. My 536 works fine as a base scanner and is installed for testing temporarily mobile using a separate Uniden GP18 GPS Puck. It seems to be working as "GPS" displays on the front panel with the GP18 connected and no display when I remove it powered on.

Currently I have only local area FL systems selected to scan which they do fine mobile with the GPS interface. However, I also have many out of area radio system favorites lists programmed in my main Favorites List I wish to scan when travelling mostly in state next month. One question is when I select an out of area FL system to scan now using location based scanning does that override GPS control? I suspect it does. If I deselect that same FL to scan will the GPS select it automatically based on the lat/lon/distance settings when at that radius rim? I hope it will. Some of the terrain I will travel is relatively flat and rural but also within reception range of some distant mountaintop repeaters. It is my understanding that distances greater than the 50 mile range selected via software programming override the 50 mile maximum range setting for the 536.

I think my settings will work as programmed but I am not sure and I certainly don't want to have 536 GPS issues when traveling. I think the 536 GPS might give a quick beep when selecting/deselecting a FL but again I am not sure.

If I am specifically doing anything wrong, I would appreciate guidance to correct as to what and how to correct it. Tnx.

John

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There isn't any feedback when something (FL/Site/Department) transitions from one "status" to another. The 536 GPS doesn't have some of the features (such as speed, direction, points of interest,dangerous crossings) that the x96 series scanners have with GPS devices.

As far as I have seen, the GPS location will prevail if you are using FLs that have Location Control On. To over-ride this, you'd have to change Location Control to Off and then probably use quick keys to turn the FL On/Off manually.

How locations work with the x36 and Home Patrol scanners is a concept that is difficult to understand. Definitely different than the x96 scanners.

This is way oversimplifying this, but as an example: If your scanner range is set for 50.0 by either keypad or profile and you have a site with a range value of 30.0, that site will turn on when you are 80.0 miles away. Range values are additive: Scanner Range + Site/Department Range. (From what I've seen posted, a number of folks use a low Scanner Range value so they aren't casting such a wide net when travelling. Usually on the order of 10.0 miles).

Here is something very important: With the 996 scanner a Group (called Department in 536) can use a 0/0 value for the Lat/Long and that group will NOT be turned off owing to location. With the 536, 0/0 is considered a valid Lat/Long (somewhere off in the ocean). As such a Department with a 0/0 Lat/Long won't be turned on as you drive around your state. This means you also need to have a "valid" Lat/Long on your 536, which may or may not have been programmed in your 996. (I learned this the hard way).

Another important thing, just to mention in case: The 536 uses Service Types where the 996 did not. So if you import the 996 data, you'll need to check these.

Going on "test" road trips is always a good idea before taking that important road trip, just to be sure your scanner works in conjunction with the GPS.

The good news is that even if your Favorites List programming is messed up, you can always turn the full database on and scan it. You'll get something that way for sure.

marksmith

Sounds like you figured it pretty much out.

I was not aware you could set range greater than zero when using gps. I always use zero anyway. I will modify the range of the system if it is readable outside it's default programmed range.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

W4UVV

My 536 GPS issues

There isn't any feedback when something (FL/Site/Department) transitions from one "status" to another. The 536 GPS doesn't have some of the features (such as speed, direction, points of interest,dangerous crossings) that the x96 series scanners have with GPS devices.

As far as I have seen, the GPS location will prevail if you are using FLs that have Location Control On. To over-ride this, you'd have to change Location Control to Off and then probably use quick keys to turn the FL On/Off manually.

How locations work with the x36 and Home Patrol scanners is a concept that is difficult to understand. Definitely different than the x96 scanners.

This is way oversimplifying this, but as an example: If your scanner range is set for 50.0 by either keypad or profile and you have a site with a range value of 30.0, that site will turn on when you are 80.0 miles away. Range values are additive: Scanner Range + Site/Department Range. (From what I've seen posted, a number of folks use a low Scanner Range value so they aren't casting such a wide net when travelling. Usually on the order of 10.0 miles).

Here is something very important: With the 996 scanner a Group (called Department in 536) can use a 0/0 value for the Lat/Long and that group will NOT be turned off owing to location. With the 536, 0/0 is considered a valid Lat/Long (somewhere off in the ocean). As such a Department with a 0/0 Lat/Long won't be turned on as you drive around your state. This means you also need to have a "valid" Lat/Long on your 536, which may or may not have been programmed in your 996. (I learned this the hard way).

Another important thing, just to mention in case: The 536 uses Service Types where the 996 did not. So if you import the 996 data, you'll need to check these.

Going on "test" road trips is always a good idea before taking that important road trip, just to be sure your scanner works in conjunction with the GPS.

The good news is that even if your Favorites List programming is messed up, you can always turn the full database on and scan it. You'll get something that way for sure.

-------------------
ofd8001

Tnx very much for your response. It was very informative, helpful and confirmed some of my suspicions. Yes, I also learned the hard way about the 0/0 lat/lon situation by oversight in programing I think at the Department level. I use ARC536PRO which is a Godsend in programming the 536. In my opinion, Sentinel Software maybe is one enhancement above basic MS DOS with primitive user editing choices. It could have been so much more. But authorizing third party vendors for the 436/536 was a no no. Fortunately, I trial and errored through it and managed to create one favorites list which was all ARC536PRO Professional required to program it. After that it was so easy to program, edit and make file transfers after importing my 996XT files I never went back.

Regarding the software programing for each radio system GPS attributes, I soon had a question as to which dominates, i.e., the location set value, i.e., 50 miles in my case or for example, my FL 4 which lists a state police division comprised of 8 sites about 100 air miles from my beginning location. Long story short nobody could tell me initially and I eventually heard from UPMAN who believed it was as you stated, i.e., set location range is added to software programmed FL distance. I also set the same attributes at both the department and channel levels.

I also learned the hard way about the 536 requiring a service code regardless of whether it is appropriate or not. To get it to work select "Other" for all entries and later go back and pretty it up.

It would be nice if a "sticky" 536 "Lessons Learned" link could be created to post helpful hints, etc.

I know it can time consuming to respond to a post in detail and I really appreciate you taking time to share your insights and experiences.

John
W4UVV

W4UVV

I was not aware you could set range greater than zero when using gps. I always use zero anyway. I will modify the range of the system if it is readable outside it's default programmed range.

Mark
Believe me it was just a lucky guess.

John
W4UVV

W4UVV

Lucky guess

Mark

Believe me it was a lucky guess.

John
W4UVV

marksmith

I am not aware of any editing that CANNOT be done in Sentinel. It allows you to modify everything that can be modified in the radio, and a lot easier. Same with Sentinel for the HP2.

Both allow full cut and paste as well as duplication of settings across departments and talkgroups. Have been using both versions for years now and while I have used some of the other software out there, I have never found it to do anything that Sentinel does not do, so I keep coming back to Sentinel.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I use both ARC and Sentinel. Just like any other software programs, one is better and some things when compared to the other.

Sentinel allows for update of full database and editing Profiles, where ARC does not. ARC allows me to "pretty up" the appearance of Favorites Lists (Upper case and centering of text) where Sentinel does not.

Since Uniden is a hardware manufacturer and not primarily a software developer, I don't expect anything more than modest functionality with Uniden software.

Here is a critical point: If you create/modify Favorites Lists in ARC, after writing them to the scanner, you should start Sentinel and read them. (Opposite is true if you create/edit in Sentinel, then read with ARC).

Two reasons for doing this. One is so you have identical Favorites Lists, otherwise something you add in ARC won't be in Sentinel. Another is it gives you a back-up copy just in case.

Voyager

Well said. You will likely soon be labeled a Uniden Apologist, too.

(A Uniden Apologist is anyone who does not hate Uniden)

phask

Premium Subscriber
I don't get this. " But authorizing third party vendors for the 436/536 was a no no. Fortunately, I trial and errored through it and managed to create one favorites list which was all ARC536PRO Professional required to program it. After that it was so easy to program, edit and make file transfers after importing my 996XT files I never w"

It sounds like you are saying Uniden did not allow any other software, yet Arc is OTHER software.

All the programing requirements are open and published, any one is free to develop their own.

As others stated - I find Sentinel orks just fine.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We published the full specification so that 3rd party software developers could make compatible applications. We are restricted from distributing the main database spec, as it is used under license.

Status
Not open for further replies.