USCG Baltimore -- New Callsign

Status
Not open for further replies.

baydog

Group Baltimore for the longest time
then
Activities Baltimore ( I never understood that one)
then
Sector Baltimore
Now
Sector Maryland- NCR ( National Capital Region|)

The first time I noticed the change was today.

ecps92

hill

Premium Subscriber
Due to their area going into Northern Virginia the old name of Sector Baltimore was confusing to some of the public. Within the last year or so their also took over Station Ocean City, MD from Sector Hampton Roads, so all of the USCG in Maryland was under one command.

Activities Baltimore was when the old Marine Safety Office was combined with Group Baltimore around 1997 timeframe.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it's definitely a bit more Atlantic than Bay.

ClayD

Do the Sector and smaller stations all use CG-111? or Are some of the stations using other channels. I never knew what they used down around DC.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
111 is used by Sector Maryland for primary ops, 112 is used by Sector Delaware Bay (either for prim or sec ops, not sure).

ClayD

Thanks guys. I previously heard 111 in use.

I know its outside of Maryland per se, but has anyone confirmed what CG Station Washington DC uses for comms?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Station Washington is a subordinate unit of Sector Baltimore. I haven't heard them key up, but primary ops should be on CG111.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
USCG Indian River

When in Rehoboth Beach,DE,I occasionally hear Station Indian River, DE on 112.

USCG Station Indian river is the odd ball in this region. Majority of the Coast Guard nationwide P25 transmissions will occur on CG 111 & CG 121. They do have the ability to go secure on those channels if necessary. CG Sta. Indian River uses CG115 and CG Sta. Annapolis Uses CG 122. Of course all back comms is on standard vhf 16, 21A,& 23A. Civilian to USCG is 22A.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What does the USCG talk about on these CG1xx channels? Is it much different from their traffic on their marine channels?

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
What does the USCG talk about on these CG1xx channels? Is it much different from their traffic on their marine channels?[/QUOTE

The USCG utilizes the CG Channels which are P25 to conduct daily operations such as underway comm's and morning boat checks. These channels are Vhf and Uhf. The boats use the VHF frequencies and the Aviation use the UHF. The frequencies are posted on the database in the USCG section. As for the old standard Marine Band vhf, the USCG still monitors and utilizes these frequencies as necessary. The local fire and police do not have comm's capabilities on the p25 frequencies, so we must conduct our comm's with marine vhf 16 , 22A, & 23A on the emergency incidents.

boatbod

What does the USCG talk about on these CG1xx channels? Is it much different from their traffic on their marine channels?[/QUOTE

The USCG utilizes the CG Channels which are P25 to conduct daily operations such as underway comm's and morning boat checks. These channels are Vhf and Uhf. The boats use the VHF frequencies and the Aviation use the UHF. The frequencies are posted on the database in the USCG section. As for the old standard Marine Band vhf, the USCG still monitors and utilizes these frequencies as necessary. The local fire and police do not have comm's capabilities on the p25 frequencies, so we must conduct our comm's with marine vhf 16 , 22A, & 23A on the emergency incidents.

Well there's really no reason why the local fire companies couldn't get their radios programmed for the USCG P25 system. By now most all of us have 700/800Mhz capable of FiRST and whatever other local trunked systems we are using.

As a rescue boat captain and fire officer I can say first hand that having to interoperate on both P25 and VHF16/VHF22A is a royal PITA and leads to garbled comms and the fireground version of Chinese Whispers.

Status
Not open for further replies.