Police scanning in Albuquerque

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanky876

Is this the forum where I can get assistance with scanning Albuquerque police? I've downloaded the files but I can only hear a couple of the Fire Department frequencies. I moved from another state and the scanner worked fine there with their downloaded files.

hanky876

Thank you for your reply.
I'm programming a RadioShack PRO651 using Bu-Tel software downloading files from RadioReference.com

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
The Albuquerque radio system is EDACS with ProVoice. No scanner can do that. You need a ProVoice radio from Harris or M/A Com.

scanchs

The Albuquerque radio system is EDACS with ProVoice. No scanner can do that. You need a ProVoice radio from Harris or M/A Com.

Your statement is no longer valid. Uniden now offers a $50 ProVoice upgrade for their BCDx36HP line of scanners. :cool:

ScanCHS

funbob

Only a handful of talkgroups on the system are analog, mainly fire dispatch and a few other boring things like animal control and the airport janitors. Everything else is Provoice and somewhat more difficult to monitor.

There are 3 ways you can listen...

Buy a Provoice radio on Ebay and find someone that can program it in receive only mode. They can usually be picked up for a couple of hundred bucks, programming is the hard part.

Buy a Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536 scanner and purchase the optional $50 Provoice upgrade key. this will set you back $500-550 or so.

Purchase a couple of RTL-SDR dongles for about $20 each and use some free software to listen in. Cheapest option, but needs to be tied to a computer to work.

hanky876

Say... Do you think there may be a software or hardware update for other scanner models or are there hardware/software configurations that would prevent that?

heraldstorm

Premium Subscriber
There's a local that's restreaming his 436 to broadcastify. The feed is available from the live audio section on radioreference.com. I know it isn't coming from your equipment and it isn't customizable but it's an example of what can be heard with the right rig.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Say... Do you think there may be a software or hardware update for other scanner models or are there hardware/software configurations that would prevent that?
Probably not. The 325P2 and 996P2 might be capable of being upgraded to decode ProVoice, but the consumer will never know unless Uniden releases an update for them. Personally, I don't believe that will ever happen since doing so would likely cut into 436HP/536HP sales.

ChrisABQ

I'm just wondering if any of you have purchased the BCDx36 Uniden scanners. Early July, I picked up a 436 w/provoice upgrade and it works great. Crystal clear reception of ABQ and Bernco.

Status
Not open for further replies.