FleetNet Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
We should probably make a new thread for the new Fleetnet system discussion that will evolve as the new system comes to life.

Why not have EMS on a local system? Fleetnet is being rebuilt this year for 2017 and all users need to purchase or rent new gear so depending on budgets this might be the time for deciding to stay on the provincial system or use a local system?.

Guelph just upgraded to fully encrypted P25 radios for fire and like police they are on the current fleetnet but have been told they need to get new gear by the end of 2016 or find another system to use. Guelph I believe just spend well over a million dollars to upgrade to encrypted radios for fire.

2015-2017 Capital budget project descriptions - City of Guelph

Last edited by a moderator:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I don't think they have the option of staying on Fleetnet or going to their own system. Fleetnet is going to be a Phase 1 (maybe Phase 2?) P25 system in a few years. If they switch to a local system, they're still going to have to buy & rent the radios for whatever the Provincial flavour is going to be.

For example, Toronto has it's own system. However, every ambulance here has a VHF MCS radio in it. Come time for Fleetnet upgrade, they're still going to have to fork out the $$ for whatever radios Fleetnet use then.

So at the end of the day, if they opt to switch to the regional 700MHz trunk, they're still going to have to spend the money to put a Fleetnet radio in each vehicle.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Guelph just upgraded to fully encrypted P25 radios for fire and like police they are on the current fleetnet but have been told they need to get new gear by the end of 2016 or find another system to use. Guelph I believe just spend well over a million dollars to upgrade to encrypted radios for fire.

It just mentions Guelph paying for infrastructure costs or going it alone. There's nothing in there that I can find that mentions upgrading their gear.

I'm sure they've probably swapped out all of their Astro Spectras for some form of ASTRO25 or APX gear by now.

SCPD

QRT
I don't think they have the option of staying on Fleetnet or going to their own system. Fleetnet is going to be a Phase 1 (maybe Phase 2?) P25 system in a few years. If they switch to a local system, they're still going to have to buy & rent the radios for whatever the Provincial flavour is going to be.

For example, Toronto has it's own system. However, every ambulance here has a VHF MCS radio in it. Come time for Fleetnet upgrade, they're still going to have to fork out the $$ for whatever radios Fleetnet use then.

So at the end of the day, if they opt to switch to the regional 700MHz trunk, they're still going to have to spend the money to put a Fleetnet radio in each vehicle.

Perhaps, unless they opt for patching to a provincial common channel from 700 mhz system to the new Fleetnet? You are right this is gonna cost $$$. So maybe some municipalities are deciding to use their own systems going forward. I think the new Fleetnet comes sooner than a few years, like at the end of this year as Guelph fire has been told their brand new P25 encrypted radios won't be compatible on the new system. Makes me wonder if it's phase 2. I can see them going phase 2 as they will have has to add tower sites and improve coverage for the encryption so at that point phase 2 should be a problem if I understand correct.

I notice Georgian EMS sounds different so I think they got the new consoles already, they sound a touch digital but very crisp clear and sharp vs the old muffled audio.

Guess the other thing to figure out about the new Niagara system is all the frequencies and if it's a 100% encrypted system or if fire and works will be in the clear. If it's 100% encrypted then it would be a waste of time to chase down all the system data for something we can't heard on our scanners.

I have the BC996xt and it doesn't even do phase 2 so.....

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They could patch yes, but what happens when a Niagara vehicle needs to transfer to say Barrie or London where they won't be able to hit their local system?

The only reason I can see them going Phase 2 is due to channel use. Phase 2 sounds like ***** (even on a system radio), so I don't think they'd be too willing to throw the OPP/EMS on P2 - maybe MTO?

You're right about Georgian. It isn't so much that they have new consoles, its that Fleetnet is using a system called SmartX which is used to bridge a P16 system to a P25 system - a result of that means that to subscriber radios, dispatch has that digital-like sound, and to a dispatcher, subscriber units sound like that.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I can see them going phase 2 as they will have has to add tower sites and improve coverage for the encryption so at that point phase 2 should be a problem if I understand correct.

Phase II and/or encryption does not require more tower sites.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
This upgrade is going on now ? does that mean opp enc is likely coming soon ? are alot of city services joining fleetnet , I thought we just spent a bunch here to make sure we could talk to Detroit ,..

ve3zo

Windsor is not joining fleetnet. The radios that you mention were purchased by the Dept of HS. So that Windsor and communities on the Detroit river could communicate with the communities in Michigan that are also along the Detroit River.

Hope that clears up some confusion... Now back to the Fleetnet conversation.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Windsor and Detroit have radios on each other's system for interop last I heard. And no, city services aren't joining Fleetnet. Only public safety/government agencies are allowed.

There aren't any end users (ie OPP) being upgraded yet that I've heard of. As far as encryption goes, nobody knows at this point and it would be purely speculation.

highstupid

Banned
I do know that the dispatchers and officers use the FleetNet as a one way communication to tow trucks so I can imagine that they'd either put in more Media Access Channels or keep it clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Oh ok I misunderstood it somehow ,..I thought the windsor detroit systems were designed for compatibility with each other , so ya wouldnt make sense for some of them to go fleetnet

SCPD

QRT
What are the odds the new Fleetnet will be in the 700Mhz band?. Reading that Guelph has to buy all new radios including replacing the new encrypted fire dept radios has been wondering if they will go up into the 700Mhz band. I believe the new Alberta version of FleetNet is encrypted but also in 700 as is the new one on the east coast.

Need to set up the scanner in search mode and keep checking as other services who are getting new systems might go there as well.

VE3RADIO

Oh ok I misunderstood it somehow ,..I thought the windsor detroit systems were designed for compatibility with each other , so ya wouldnt make sense for some of them to go fleetnet

That is the common white lie the salesman, police and fire dept's use to get funding for new systems.. every city says the same thing.. but they almost NEVER use the functionality... although its technically possible.. just as it was before the move.. i.e. fleetnet patches OPP to DRPS and so on.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Oh noos maybe they are starting tonight. Zone 2 everyone just went into Wide Area TAC mode for the night until 4am.

Status
Not open for further replies.