First scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilo7127

Hello everyone from California , I just stumbled across his site and could use some help. Can anyone recommend a entry level handheld / base unit scanner. I primarily want to listen to police traffic approximately 10 miles from me. I looked up the police department on this site and they use RM , the department is lodi police in San Joaquin county. Any help would be appreciated, I'm looking for very little investment to start out in this hobby.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
San Joaquin County

Welcome!

San Joaquin county is mostly digital, so you'll need a P25 capable scanner. The model I use is no longer made. Additionally, I'd make sure to get a Phase II capable model, of which mine is not. Otherwise you'll go through the expense of getting only Phase I and at some point may not be able to hear who you want.

There are only a few P25 Phase II models to choose from. There is a lot of information in the Wiki, I'd read through it. Looks like for hand-held your choices are BCD325P2, PRO-668 or WS1080.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong..please...but the Uniden 436HP is a portable, along with its sister the 536 which is a desk model.

I'm afraid that if you need to monitor Phase II, (and if you don't now you may very well have to do so in the future), you will need an advanced scanner. Expect to pay $400.00 and up. Aside from that, once this hobby consumes your every waking moment, you should have an advanced scanner to meet your needs.

Consider also scanning software. Years ago you could program a scanner with your fingers; not so today. You really need a software program to program the scanner with, and that can be a steep learning curve. It's not hard..just needs lots of time to become proficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.