need help with central ohio scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech2326

Premium Subscriber
i am trying to find a scanner for my sister . she lives in Whitehall Ohio, can someone direct me to a scanner that is ez to program via computer . needs to get whitehall and columbus

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
i am trying to find a scanner for my sister . she lives in Whitehall Ohio, can someone direct me to a scanner that is ez to program via computer . needs to get whitehall and columbus

Depends on how elaborate a radio she wants and how "scanner savvy" she is.

If she's not too technically oriented, I recommend the Uniden Home Patrol 2. Just punch in the zip code, set the range to 1 mile and select the services (police dispatch, fire dispatch, etc) she wants to listen to.

Works just fine.

Police Radio, Uniden HomePatrol-2 Police Scanner, Policescanner Radios | Scanner Master

tech2326

Premium Subscriber
Ordered her the home patrol 2 ., do any of you scan whitehall pd ?

KD8DVR

Ordered her the home patrol 2 ., do any of you scan whitehall pd ?
Sometimes, yes. They are pretty active. Very high crime area. 1 dispatch and two tactical groups. All in the clear. On Columbus Simulcast.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

METhomas314

Depends on how elaborate a radio she wants and how "scanner savvy" she is.

If she's not too technically oriented, I recommend the Uniden Home Patrol 2. Just punch in the zip code, set the range to 1 mile and select the services (police dispatch, fire dispatch, etc) she wants to listen to.

Works just fine.

Police Radio, Uniden HomePatrol-2 Police Scanner, Policescanner Radios | Scanner Master

Sorry if this doesn't fit here but I am new to posting and not very "scanner savvy" either.I bought a Home-Patrol-2 and it seems to set up pretty easily but I don't understand everything about it yet. I live in Pataskala which is pretty close to Whitehall and I can receive Whitehall communications. If someone could tell me what is going on in Pataskala that prevents me from receiving their police communications I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know if they have gone digital and maybe the HP-2 doesn't support that or what the problem is. Like I said, any help would be appreciated.

KD8DVR

Sorry if this doesn't fit here but I am new to posting and not very "scanner savvy" either.I bought a Home-Patrol-2 and it seems to set up pretty easily but I don't understand everything about it yet. I live in Pataskala which is pretty close to Whitehall and I can receive Whitehall communications. If someone could tell me what is going on in Pataskala that prevents me from receiving their police communications I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know if they have gone digital and maybe the HP-2 doesn't support that or what the problem is. Like I said, any help would be appreciated.
Pataskala is dispatched by the licking county sheriff. They go off the pataskala tower, not Columbus simulcast, although, they will affiliate with them often. Pataskala does have it's own tactical talk group though.

phask

Premium Subscriber

I think you will find that stock antenna will not receive the Licking Co. tower in Pataskala from Whitehall.

Also - without creating a favorite list (or a lot of avoiding) even if you could hear it, you rarely would with it loading all the C-bus sites.

METhomas314

Pataskala is dispatched by the licking county sheriff. They go off the pataskala tower, not Columbus simulcast, although, they will affiliate with them often. Pataskala does have it's own tactical talk group though.

Thanks for the info about being dispatched by the Licking county sheriff. I receive that just fine. Does that mean that when I hear something that says Licking County Sheriff it could be either the Pataskala PD or the Sheriff's cars responding? Also, do you know if the Pataskala tactical talk group would automatically be programmed when I put in my Pataskala zip code? I just am trying to figure out if my HP 2 is set up correctly and this is not being filtered out or scrambled. I read something about DMR which sounded like it was some kind of new way of blocking the communication but I didn't understand it all.

One last question. Where can I get a "current" list of the police/sheriff/state patrol codes they use? Mine is so old I fear it is outdated.

Again, thanks for everything you have told me already.

METhomas314

Yes, there is a lot of activity from Columbus and other cities nearby but I usually get decent signal strength from where I live just barely inside Licking county (Pataskala address). Pickerington isn't the greatest and some of the different zones of Columbus PD aren't as good as others but it isn't too bad.

ibagli

Does that mean that when I hear something that says Licking County Sheriff it could be either the Pataskala PD or the Sheriff's cars responding?

Yes, and also several village police departments. Pataskala's unit numbers are 451 for the department and the 500s for the individual units.

METhomas314

Yes, and also several village police departments. Pataskala's unit numbers are 451 for the department and the 500s for the individual units.

I thought I understood but apparently I am still confused. If my scanner stops and says it is Licking County Sheriff, how do I tell if it is a sheriff deputy communication or a Pataskala police officer communication? I don't usually hear the 451 or the 500s you refer to. Sorry to be so naive but I have had a chance to listen for a little while and still don't get it. Could you try again to clear that up for me? Thanks.

ibagli

If my scanner stops and says it is Licking County Sheriff, how do I tell if it is a sheriff deputy communication or a Pataskala police officer communication? I don't usually hear the 451 or the 500s you refer to.

Listening for the unit number is pretty much the only option on that talkgroup. If you miss the beginning of a transmission and don't hear it, you'll have to hope there's some context that lets you know. Pataskala has only about 17% of the population of the area covered by that talkgroup, so the majority of transmissions will not regard Pataskala.

If your scanner supports radio IDs, you could use those to help figure out who's talking, but I don't know of any public list of radio IDs and I don't think they were assigned in a way that lets you know from the number itself, so you'd have to figure them out from listening first.

Status
Not open for further replies.