Confused..again

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I spent half a day looking thru these forums and the WIKI pages; Also, I have looked forever trying to figure out where I should post this thread by attempting to decipher all the Rules. Even the WIKI pages were confusing the 996T with the 996XT.

One scanner I own is the 996T. I have figured out the 996XT has replaced this mobile model.

I'm considering buying the software from BUTEL for my 996T.

The question: Is the 996T still worth buying the BUTEL software for, and primarily, what is the difference between the T and XT models?

I really could not find any useful comparisons between the two. Any help would be really appreciated. I would LIKE to keep my 996T and fall in love with it again (been busy with my 436HP) but coming from a group of very knowledgeable guys and gals here, your opinions are important to me

Thanks, Greg

Last edited:

marksmith

The main similarity between the 996T and 996xt is that they have both been discontinued by Uniden.

Having said that, I have both radios and in practical use there is really no difference in what you can monitor as both support Rebanding with appropriate entries.

The size of the memory in the 996T is a little smaller but I have never run into that as an issue. Both are limited in terms of total records per system, meaning if you have a big system you might need to break it down into smaller systems in the radio.

The 996xt supports radio ID display, but that feature is compromised by the records per system issue.

I actually think the audio (decoding quality) of a digital system sounds a little better on the T than the XT if you are using the latest firmware.

I use Freescan with both of mine, which is free. Don’t know what if any additional features Butel might add.

Go ahead. Fall back in love with that 996T. It's still a very capable radio.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well actually the 996P2 has superceded the 996XT - one of the biggest differences with the P2 is the ability to receive Phase 2 sigs, which the earlier XT and T versions can't (even with a firmware fix).

As to the differences between the T and XT models, look at the features section on the XT article, and pay attention to anything that's bolded. These are differences - if you could be more specific about what you don't understand, that would be helpful...

BCD996T - The RadioReference Wiki

BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

Now as to software - while the BuTel packages are popular, there's better ones that support the 996T, XT and P2 scanners. You have ProScan and the freeware FreeScan.

We have the FreeScan user guide stored in our wiki, and the link for ProScan is below...

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

ProScan

It's just my opinion, but if I had both models, I'd want software that would support both without a lot of hassle. Software is always a person's opinion and what that person's perceptions are as much as how it works. But if the freeware does what I want, so much the better. If you don't like it, you lose nothing.

You should find out if Phase 2 is coming, or is working, in your area. If so, jumping to the 996P2 makes more sense, as it complements your 436.

Mike

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
One scanner I own is the 996T. I have figured out the 996XT has replaced this mobile model.

Actually, at this point, the 996P2 has replaced the 996XT:

BCD996P2 - The RadioReference Wiki

The question: Is the 996T still worth buying the BUTEL software for, and primarily, what is the difference between the T and XT models?

I really could not find any useful comparisons between the two.

The differences between the 996T and the 996XT are pretty well defined in the WIKI:

BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

Scroll down to the "Features" heading and take note of the first line there.

EDIT ---> I see that I was late to the party!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A very dumb question - why not sell your 996T and get the 536HP instead? In this case you could, in theory, dump your programming from your 436 into the 536 and be done rather quickly...Mike

D

darunimal

I wouldn't buy the Butel software, I would use Freescan, the differences are in bold on the BCD996XT. When I bought an updated model of a previous one I just transfer everything I could from the old to the new, adjusted a couple things and save a file with NEWBCDXXXxx, then spent a week adjusting other thing in the new one and save it without the "NEW" moniker but the new models name and suffix. FRRESCAN ALLOWS 6 models pretty darn good control and swap ability . Butel gives extras at a premium and would be better used to purchase their BCDx36HP series software, so you can then import from your t, xt and p2 models

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I knew I wouldn't post in the right area.

I thank you all. I am shocked by the rapid responses. Great help and Ideas from all...especially selling the Pro 106.

I think I will power down and out of the Pro 106 for most things, and keep it around for fun..searches, drive thru, etc.

I cannot buy another scanner now. I'll pick a software program and use the 996T at my desk connected to a rooftop antenna.

My 436HP is a great portable and useful for anything not needing a power cord...like when we lose power. I already have software for the 436.

Alternately, I have my childhood first scanner...the regency 8 channel scanner using crystals. Wonder if they would do a P25 system?:)

Thanks again. Greg

marksmith

Like I said.... fall back in love with that 996T. Don’t let people sell you something, as it was not your question. It's still a scanner that does everything but phase 2.

I would suggest Freescan, since it's free and well supported for the 996T. If you want something more you can always pay later.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While "long in the tooth", the 996T is still a very good scanner. The only thing is you can't cram as much stuff in it as newer scanners.

It might take a little effort but through copying and pasting, you could use Freescan and Sentinel to program your 996T simillarly to the 436.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
You guys are great. Another good use for my 996T is, when connected to my outdoor antenna, I can pick up both Chicago Police and fire.

The police are basically non-stop in their radio traffic, and with Chicago being the murder capital of the U.S., there is always something interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The 996T stays with a software do-over!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.