Fort McMurray Wildfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
First and foremost I'm hoping all of the folks who are on this forum, who live and work in that part of the world, are all OK.

For those who are unaware, a wildfire burning SW of the city of Fort McMurray in the far NE corner of Alberta has blown up over the past 3 hours and entered the southern portion of town. There are structures lost and infrastructure threatened. Most of the city has been put under mandatory evacuation, which is difficult to effect since the one route in and out of the area - either north or south - is Highway 63, which the fire has reportedly crossed.

Amateur radio emergency services are operating an emergency net on the SARA backbone. Please do not interfere with the net if you are tuned to a repeater.

Just heard word that an HF relay is being coordinated to help with comms in and out of the area.

All the best to everyone in the area and everyone affected!

Jay911

Feed Provider
I was looking but evidently nobody covers it. Even if there were feeds of fire/public safety in-town, everybody's being evacuated so it is unlikely they'd stay up. Even the media are heading out - local radio stations have basically let things run on autopilot and walked out the door.

We have a couple people on the forums who work and reside in the region. I presume they're too busy to pipe up. Guys, when you can, let us know you're OK.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
AEMA has NOT, at this point asked for amateur radio assistance, currently there is one ham in Ft Mac, at the EOC, but his HF station is on the other side of the fire. IRLP is operational but we can only hear Ft Mac, the can not hear us. Amateur radio is on standby only. Updates as possible. No feeds on SARA unless ve6efr adds it to his EFR feed.

JustAScanner

anyone know what the HF frequency is? that is if there is a net going. are there any vhf frequencies I could monitor too? I'm in St. Albert so I'm not too sure what I could listen to on VHF

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Closing the net for rhe night. In Edmonton losten to 444.950, and 146.640. On HF listen if there is a net it will be on 3.675 and 7.135. Likely womt hear much there, as there is no body in Ft. Mac on HF at this time

Jay911

Feed Provider
Heard from RR user calking early this morning. He made it out to Anzac with a colleague safely.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Heard from my AFRRCS contact just now. They got on site overnight. AFRRCS infrastructure appears to be functional and unaffected, but they have a SOW present just in case. Outside (mutual aid) agencies are using AFRRCS by way of radios from the emergency cache, and local FD is getting radios to allow them to communicate with the outsiders.

SCPD

QRT
Heard from my AFRRCS contact just now. They got on site overnight. AFRRCS infrastructure appears to be functional and unaffected, but they have a SOW present just in case. Outside (mutual aid) agencies are using AFRRCS by way of radios from the emergency cache, and local FD is getting radios to allow them to communicate with the outsiders.

I swear AFFRCS shows up at major events for a headline in the next newsletter
Yes they showed up handed out radios with a quick briefing but when the user went to use it could not figure out the channeling and ended up in frustration. Eventualky it was sorted out over a cell phone call to a friend of a friend who had radio knowledge

QDP2012

News story with pictures

In case anyone might be interested, this news story has quite a few pictures...

"These incredible aerial shots show the sheer scale of a wildfire in the Alberta city of Fort McMurray that is set to become the costliest ever Canadian natural disaster for insurers. The unchecked fire, which entered its fourth day on Wednesday, has prompted the full evacuation of Fort McMurray's 88,000 residents. Alberta declared a state of emergency on Wednesday afternoon. Premier Rachel Notley said fire had destroyed or damaged an estimated 1,600 structures. Flames are being kept from the downtown area thanks to the 'herculean'' efforts of firefighters, said Scott Long, of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency. No injuries or fatalities have been reported. " -- DailyMail.co.uk

Incredible aerial shots show the sheer scale of Alberta wildfire set to become costliest Canadian natural disaster ever with $1.6BILLION-worth of damage -- DailyMail.co.uk

Best wishes to all involved,

Jay911

Feed Provider
STAR-6, the temporary Lac La Biche based bird using the backup Edmonton machine, is operating off AFRRCS AHS MA11.

Status
Not open for further replies.