• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Password protected Codeplug for a XPR6550 Sorry If you herd this one before

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcnsdad

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse but I have searched high and low looking for a solution on bypassing, finding or overwriting a password protected codeplug. It is a motoTRBO xpr6550 with firmware ver 1.12.15 and CP ver 13.02.01. I have contacted the previous owner he has no clue (so I guess he was not the last user Hopefully that's the reason) I have tried the Wireshark and the hex edit method but from what I could gather my firmware is to recent. I don't think I could over right a codeplug for the same model radio because it has a different radio ID unless I was misinformed. I just don't want to brick the radio. If anyone has any Ideas I am up for trying them if not I guess I will ship it out to motorola as a last resort. Thanks for any help you can give me.

NotATechGuy

NotAMember
Premium Subscriber
That firmware is too new to use Wireshark. I see two options here, I don't know if the second one will work, I've not tested it. First is you can go to a dealer and pay $50 or whatever their charge is to get a key from Motorola to unlock the radio. Second option which I'm just spit balling because I've not seen it done, but don't see why it wouldn't work, is to force older firmware in the radio pre-R01.12.11 which is when they started encrypting the password. Good luck.

jcnsdad

I will give it a shot

Thank you for the reply. I know this subject has been beaten to death but nothing seems to be the answer. Can I not just reset the radio or overwrite it with a different codeplug. I don't have any from this particular radio but something generic. I will try pretty much anything but I am trying to avoid bricking the radio. I will try downgrading the firmware first and see if that gets me anywhere. Thanks for the ideas.

Bob

N4KVE

I agree with notatechguy. Create a codeplug, & "clone" it into the radio. See if that works. If that doesn't, I would return the radio to the seller, as it's useless junk. This once happened to me, & I called the seller. He said he forgot to unlock the radio, & gave me the password. That's all it took. Good luck. GARY

riveter

Premium Subscriber
... I don't think I could over right a codeplug for the same model radio because it has a different radio ID unless I was misinformed. I just don't want to brick the radio. ...

As Moon said, that's what the Clone feature is for. Same model, different serial => Clone.

Never tried that solution with a TRBO radio. With XT/APX radios, they ask you for the target radio password before overwriting - if it does that, you're screwed short of a depot wipe. If not, you're in business.

jcnsdad

One other thing well a couple of things. If my firmware is 1.12.15 and I replace it with something lower like 1.12.02 to maybe use wireshark wouldn't I need to update the codeplug which is 13.02.01 also. Don't they pretty much go hand in hand. One other thing what version cps would I use or does it not make a difference. Am I missing anything because it sounds to me like a cross your fingers and hope it works which is OK with me I just want to at lease have a fighting chance of doing this correctly. Thanks all for the guidance.

cmdrwill

What about the 'Recover' option in the CPS?

I also have a friend with a couple that has a later codeplug version, and I would like to bring it back a notch.

JRayfield

You can't go 'backwards' with the firmware in Motorola XPR-series radios without special software from the factory.

John Rayfield, Jr.

radioguy99

I know this is an old post but don't know if you got the help you needed to take care of your problem.I also don't know why everyone has the same wrong answer for this topic but this is how you do this if you run into this problem. These are not Waris or Commercial Series radios so the clone idea will not work even if you have the same Tanapa number. The reason is these use the codeplug overwrite password feature. So not only do you need the password to read the radio, but the radio needs a password to overwrite the codeplug.

You will need to use the (Recover) feature. This is in the CPS. In order to do that you must have the current or newer firmware for the radio otherwise it's not going to happen. The old Wireshark trick stopped working at 1.12.11 for these. Once you do the Recover process, the radio will have a new dummy codeplug loaded into it and you can read and start putting your info into the radio.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I know this is an old post but don't know if you got the help you needed to take care of your problem.I also don't know why everyone has the same wrong answer for this topic but this is how you do this if you run into this problem. These are not Waris or Commercial Series radios so the clone idea will not work even if you have the same Tanapa number. The reason is these use the codeplug overwrite password feature. So not only do you need the password to read the radio, but the radio needs a password to overwrite the codeplug.

You will need to use the (Recover) feature. This is in the CPS. In order to do that you must have the current or newer firmware for the radio otherwise it's not going to happen. The old Wireshark trick stopped working at 1.12.11 for these. Once you do the Recover process, the radio will have a new dummy codeplug loaded into it and you can read and start putting your info into the radio.

Just pointing out, commercial series is password protected for cloning…Waris (Pro) CPS doesn't have a clone option.

But yes, recover should work without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.