• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Measure amp draw for radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWarrior

How would I go,measuring the amp draw from a cb mobile radio,while transmitting ?
I have the meter,just do not know how to do it.

Thanks

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

radiation8

How would I go,measuring the amp draw from a cb mobile radio,while transmitting ?
I have the meter,just do not know how to do it.
Thanks

Proceed with Caution.

You might want to look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zt3P9bvn8M Youtube video, skip to 2:25mins for visuals but imagine the CB radio in place of the Drill, but on almost every meter, You have a common (Black) side and 2 Hot (Red) sides, where the meter leads plug into.

One Side is for Volts, Ohms, Continuity, and the other side is for Amps.

To measure Amps, Plug the Red Lead into the Side (or hole) marked for Amps , if it doesn't say Amps, it may be marked "10A, 20A, or Load, or Ampers" Black to Black as normal.

You may want to try this on a 12volt battery with a 12v LED or Normal 12volt Lamp first to be safe.

With the Red Side of the Meter Completely unplugged from the Meter, proceed. As some meters do not have a separate on/off switch I have seen some meters throw volts between the off position and Amp position.

1. Unplug the CB unit, power off and make sure the wires can not touch!!!!!!!!!!
2. Plug Just the ground wire into the radio like normal (wither its from your chassis ground or neg side of the battery)
3. From the Red(12v) wire from the battery attach this to the RED side of the Meter Lead.
4. Attach the Black (Neg, or common) Lead from the meter to the Hot(12v) side of the Radio.
5. Turn your meter to the Amp (Current) position it may be marked with DC10A or ADC, or Just A In bold RED LETTERS.

6. Then plug the Red lead into the Meter Marked appropriately , and this should give power to the radio and instantly start giving you a reading of the Amps, at this point you can turn the radio on, and try to transmit.

Note: depending on what kind of meter you have it may not be very quick and not able to read peak amps, unless it is a true RMS meter or a meter with Peaking function.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
As we are dealing with DC, RMS or average should be the same. for an AM or SSB transmitter, power (or current) draw will depend on modulation. I would hook the radio to a dummy load (so as not to interfere with anything). then key the mike and transmit a tone. Start with a low level tone and increase (while watching the meter) the level of the tone till there is no more increase. That should be at 100% modulation or whatever radio limits modulation to. That will also let you know how 'loud' to speak into the microphone-any more will just cause splatter or limiting.

The instructions above are great for how to hook up your meter-remember to set for DC current.

As a 'rule of thumb' most AM gear takes about 2-1/2 to 3 times the 'output' rating so a CB at 4 watts I would expect to go up about 10-12 watts from receive to transmit. Assuming 13.8 volts that would be 10 W/13.8 V or .724 amps. the Receive current depends on volume and many other factors like panel lighting. A 4W CB should not need more than 5 amps. 12 W PEP is actually about the same with a single tone.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.