Dundee FD also going to WCCCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7DDC

It was mentioned by the Newberg Fire chief at the City Council meeting that Dundee Fire was also likely going to be moving over to the WCCCA. This comes with the upcoming test merger of NFD and TVF&R. This would mean that ALL Fire and Medical calls answered at the Newberg 9-1-1 would be transferred to WCCCA and dispatched by them. There were no other details at all given at this time.

ORE007

Feed Provider
Currently there is no intention for Dundee to move to WCCCA and they will continue with Newberg's dispatch center.

ORE007

Feed Provider
I wonder why the Newberg Fire Chief thinks otherwise and mentioned it.

From the council minutes: FC Hallman said they would be switching to the Washington County’s dispatch and would be part of the CAD system.

Dundee is completely separate and has no ties to NFD or the merger and have their own contract with Newberg dispatch center.

KD7DDC

Out of curiosity, was this at the Newberg city council, or Dundee city council?

From the council minutes: FC Hallman said they would be switching to the Washington County’s dispatch and would be part of the CAD system.

Dundee is completely separate and has no ties to NFD or the merger and have their own contract with Newberg dispatch center.

What I am referring to specifically was during this weeks Newberg City Council Work Session on Monday, I do stand corrected that it was Police Chief Casey that made the comment.

His comment is around 4min 45sec:

http://www.newbergoregon.gov/sites/...cordings/citycouncil/2016-0502councilwork.MP3

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Operationally, it makes sense to have them both on the same radio system, as they are geographically close and respond with mutual and automatic aid to each others' jurisdictions. Same goes for forwarding all fire/medical calls to WCCCA, at least for streamlining the process.

Logistically, it starts to get interesting, with a lot of issues to decide. Will Newberg retain all of their existing dispatchers, or will some be offered a lateral transfer to WCCCA? And WCCCA's possible future move to digital with the upcoming bond measure means that new equipment such as radios will need to be purchased/leased. This isn't cheap, especially for smaller departments. And both Newberg and Dundee have existing VHF pagers and UHF comms., and will likely need to retain part or all of that for mutual aid to the rest of Yamhill County. Which brings up the question of whether the paging system will be able to be accessed by WCCCA.

And... if the residents of Newberg decide at the end of the contract not to renew it, all or most of these infrastructure and personnel changes will need to be reversed.

KD7DDC

Operationally, it makes sense to have them both on the same radio system, as they are geographically close and respond with mutual and automatic aid to each others' jurisdictions. Same goes for forwarding all fire/medical calls to WCCCA, at least for streamlining the process.

Logistically, it starts to get interesting, with a lot of issues to decide. Will Newberg retain all of their existing dispatchers, or will some be offered a lateral transfer to WCCCA? And WCCCA's possible future move to digital with the upcoming bond measure means that new equipment such as radios will need to be purchased/leased. This isn't cheap, especially for smaller departments. And both Newberg and Dundee have existing VHF pagers and UHF comms., and will likely need to retain part or all of that for mutual aid to the rest of Yamhill County. Which brings up the question of whether the paging system will be able to be accessed by WCCCA.

And... if the residents of Newberg decide at the end of the contract not to renew it, all or most of these infrastructure and personnel changes will need to be reversed.

I had asked a city councilor about your last point and also did some research. The TVF&R merger really has zero effect as far as a system standpoint. The NFD already uses the WCCCA System for its radios, they are just changing the dispatch.

Your point about the dispatchers was also brought up at some point in one of the meetings; basically, they will not need to downsize at all. Some may be moved to other shifts and part of the center but all will remain. They currently are very overworked and under-staffed, the reduction in call/dispatch volume is just going to make life a bit less stressful on the dispatchers.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
And WCCCA's possible future move to digital with the upcoming bond measure means that new equipment such as radios will need to be purchased/leased. This isn't cheap, especially for smaller departments. And both Newberg and Dundee have existing VHF pagers and UHF comms., and will likely need to retain part or all of that for mutual aid to the rest of Yamhill County

Newberg-Dundee Police, Newberg Fire, and Dundee fire already use the 800Mhz system and the Newberg City Council has already approved funding for the purchase of P25 radios for both the police and fire departments. But I don't know if Dundee FD has P25 radios yet though.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Your point about the dispatchers was also brought up at some point in one of the meetings; basically, they will not need to downsize at all. Some may be moved to other shifts and part of the center but all will remain. They currently are very overworked and under-staffed, the reduction in call/dispatch volume is just going to make life a bit less stressful on the dispatchers.

That was kind of my hunch -- good to hear they will be retained. Thanks for the info!

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Newberg-Dundee Police, Newberg Fire, and Dundee fire already use the 800Mhz system and the Newberg City Council has already approved funding for the purchase of P25 radios for both the police and fire departments. But I don't know if Dundee FD has P25 radios yet though.

Guess I didn't realize that Dundee Fire was being dispatched on the 800 MHz Washington / Clackamas / Newberg system already. Are they using the Newberg Fire Dispatch TG (53200)?

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
Guess I didn't realize that Dundee Fire was being dispatched on the 800 MHz Washington / Clackamas / Newberg system already. Are they using the Newberg Fire Dispatch TG (53200)?

They've been with Newberg on 800 for quite a while now - have their own set of ops channels (42-47) for Newberg and Dundee to use for incidents. Site 5 (what was once Newberg's own 800 system) is now a part of WCCCA, and that allows for at least 3-4 repeaters (Parrett Mountain, Newberg, Chehalem, and Bald Peak) for better coverage than they had.

taborj

This might be deserving of a new topic, but has anyone heard if there are plans to go encrypted once they switch to P25? I hear speculation that it'll just be the tac channels, but nobody seems to have any hard evidence one way or the other.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
This might be deserving of a new topic, but has anyone heard if there are plans to go encrypted once they switch to P25?

Washington County LE supposedly will be fully encrypted -- at least, according to board minutes. That could create quite a headache for interoperability.

Baker845

It could change, and only special and Tac channels go Encrypted. I'm not big fan of public safety systems going full Encrypted. I just don't understand need for it .The Law full public as the the right to listen to there local law enforcement. .

Status
Not open for further replies.