152 MHz Directional Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfriberg

Premium Subscriber
Because I like to tinker and experiment and I have a distant trunked site I would like to listen to...

What kind of antenna would you suggest based on these criteria in priority order.
1. 150-154 MHz (even better if it could get down to 139 MHz)
2. Smallest size
3. Gain
4. Directional

I have built a few coaxial-collinear and ground planes before but need something with a bit more direction and hopefully smaller size.

What about a reflector antenna? Something based on 1/8 wave? Something utilizing an old Dish Network dish? A regular yagi would be a bit large in the area I need to install it in.

What might you suggest?

Thanks everyone.

k9rzz

A SMALLER antenna won't help you pick up stations FARTHER away. Gain isn't free, it doesn't work that way. Your easiest bet would be to get a 2 meter beam, try it as is, if not up to par, then scale it down to your frequency (i.e. cut the elements and maybe change the spacing). How big of an antenna? Depends on how far you need to hear and how high you can mount it. Good luck!

Last edited:

jfriberg

Premium Subscriber
A SMALLER antenna won't help you pick up stations FARTHER away. Gain isn't free, it doesn't work that way. Your easiest bet would be to get a 2 meter beam, try it as is, if not up to par, then scale it down to your frequency (i.e. cut the elements and maybe change the spacing). How big of an antenna? Depends on how far you need to hear and how high you can mount it. Good luck!

Yep. Just looking for suggestions and the best compromise.

byndhlptom

154 direction antenna

If you don't need a lot of gain, just try mounting an antenna on the side of the pole (assuming it's metal). 1/4w spacing will shift the pattern away from the pole (cardoid pattern). This may be of help if you need a interfering signal nulled (pretty good null towards the pole). Should give you about 2db of gain and about 3+ db of loss in the null. Adding a reflector accomplished much the same results.

Heck, try using the side of a file cabinet or refrigerator as the reflector..... :<)

The ARRL VHF antenna handbook is a good resource for 140-150 antennas.

$.02

Status
Not open for further replies.