Replacement top elements for a Radio Shack discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canvoodoo

Recently, while having to move my Radio Shack discone antenna, three of the top elements were broken off.

I'm happy with the antenna and it meets my requirements. Unfortunately, Radio Shack no longer supplies replacement parts for this item.

Does anyone have any ideas for a straightforward replacement for these elements? Your ideas would be welcome.

Martin

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Buy the same diameter alum. Stock then cut and thread your own.... I did the cone elements on mine that way....

byndhlptom

RS discone

Measure diameter of existing elements, go to welding supply house, buy either aluminum, stainless steel or bronze welding rod of the same diameter, cut to length, run one end through threaded die, screw into mount

If my memory serves me, the threads are either 6-32 or 8-32

Aluminum is probably not the best choice for outside use, but OK if in attic or other interior room (not as durable as SS or bronze)

$.02

prcguy

I did the same thing but to the whole antenna, used 3/16' dia aluminum rod and 10-24 or 10-32 threads. You could also remove the top hub and solder in 1/8" dia brass elements in using a torch then reinstall it. Or drill them to 3/16 and solder in 3/16" dia brass elements.
prcguy

Buy the same diameter alum. Stock then cut and thread your own.... I did the cone elements on mine that way....

Canvoodoo

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I took a look at this, and found the following:

3/16" stainless rod is an ideal replacement -- Same diameter as the original elements, but solid instead of hollow. Elements are 11" long.

The original thread is 8-32. Unfortunately, the 3/16" rod is thick enough that I couldn't get a die to fit over it. (The threads on the original elements are on an insert which is narrower than 3/16").

So I am getting a machinist friend to turn down the ends slightly so that the 8-32 die will fit. Then i will replace all of the original elements (the elements themselves are stainless steel, but the threaded inserts aren't).

I figured I'd post the details of what I found, in case anyone else wants to try this with their discone.

Status
Not open for further replies.