Looking for a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHaze911

I was curious if the Uniden BCD436HP (thinking about purchasing) picks up Madison County SO, London PD, West Jeff PD, Jefferson Twnshp Fire, London Fire etc...

I tried doing a search on here...But, haven't had any luck.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated!

budevans

I was curious if the Uniden BCD436HP (thinking about purchasing) picks up Madison County SO, London PD, West Jeff PD, Jefferson Twnshp Fire, London Fire etc...

I tried doing a search on here...But, haven't had any luck.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated!

BHaze911,

I'm sure you will get some responses if you repost your question on the main Ohio Radio Discussion page. This forum deals with questions about MARCS, the old Moto Type II system which is being retired.

When I looked at the MARCS Database I don't see any Madison County sites listed. So I would expect that the former MARCS users have moved to MARCS-IP. In fact there are two Madison County sites listed in the MARCS-IP Database. If you scroll down to the counties lists, I see the towns you posted listed there.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Look on MARCS IP West Jefferson, Madison County. It's there. I just saw it

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

budevans

Madison MARCS-IP Sites

BHaze911

You should check out the MARCS-IP Radio Reference Database. Here's a link: Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

It looks like most if not all of the agencies you listed are showing up in the MARCS-IP Madison County listing:

Here are the two MARCS-IP towers listed for Madison County:
London: 774.08125, 771.65625
Darby West Jefferson: 853.42500, 852.93750

The next question is can you monitor those agencies from your location. When I looked at the Madison County listing I see two towers. The first is located in London and the second in West Jefferson. Rough guess, if you are within 20 miles of a tower. You may be able to monitor it. If you are located near the outer border of your county, there may be neighboring county towers that might carry Madison traffic. You'll need info from someone in your area.

Last but not least the BCD436HP scanner. It's a good scanner which can monitor the MARCS-IP system plus UHF & VHF public safety and Aircraft bands. There are other scanners which should also work. You should consider checking out the scanner offerings from Uniden and Whistler/Radio Shack.

budevans

Scanners

The following is a list of current scanners that are capable of monitoring MARCS-IP.

Uniden: BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD996P2, BCD325P2, HP-2, HP-1, BCD996XT,BCD396XT

Whistler: WS1098, WS1088, WS1095, WS1080, WS1065, WS1040

Radio Shack: Pro-668, Pro-652, Pro-651

mmartinfan

Banned
The 436 is an excellent choice. You will hear them off of the London/Madison County MARCS-IP Site. The Darby site is used for the Franklin County system.

Darby site will extend coverage to the east side of Madison County. Darby site will broadcast Madison County Sheriff, West Jeff PD, And Madison County Fire Departments if it is affiliated with the site.

Yes the 436 is perfect for the system in question the base unit the 536 is what I use.

budevans

Consider your choices carefully

BHaze911,

I would seriously urge you to do your homework with regards to picking a scanner. Go to the Uniden, Whistler, Radio Shack and even GRE forums. See what folks have to say about the various models. Features, do they work or don't they. Ease of use, ease of programming, sound quality, battery life, cost, etc...

I see that two respondents gave opinions regarding the 436. One saying it's perfect for your use. The other saying it's an excellent choice.

I own two P25 scanners. An eight year old GRE PSR-500 and a one and a half year old Uniden BCD436HP. If I was forced to only keep one scanner it would be a an easy decision. In my opinion there's no comparison, the PSR-500 wins hands down.

FYI, the PSR-500 is the predecessor of the Whistler WS1040 and the Radio Shack Pro-651.

Goodluck with your decision.

BHaze911

Appreciate all of the input! I actually have a friend who has the Uniden unit and loves it. I ordered it this weekend. It sounds like it will fit my needs!

Status
Not open for further replies.