Yaesu: 8900 quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

davecason

Hi Kids,

On the 8900 can you set each side to scan different channels or memory places?

I don't see the left bank and right bank setting when programming like on my 8800.

So I'm assuming that if you set it to skip or scan its the same setting for both sides
of the radio ...

Cheers'
Dave

jhooten

Right side will not scan 6/10 memories. Other than that the manual does not address the issue. I haven't tried to set up separate scan list for each side on mine. I have run memory scan on one side and band limit scan on the other side with no problems.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
The 799 channels set up on Band A are the same as Band B. They are not different like on the 8800. However, the scan can be set up different. I cannot remember but I believe skipping a memory frequency on side Band A will not affect the scan on Band B. I used to have Band A set up to scan all 799 frequencies, but Band B was set up to Preferential Scan only the frequencies I desired. So, I could set up Band A to scan every thing in the city, but Band B to scan only the frequencies in the area I was at. Now that I remember, you can skip a frequency on one Band but it will still scan on the other Band. To set up Preferential Scan is a little time consuming. I used software to set up the frequencies and Preferential Scan and would download for the area I was going to visit. Preferential Scan and all memory scan is a memory setting so can be turned on and off as one desires on both bands A and B. I have used radios, ICOM and Yaesu, that you can set up different frequencies on Band A and Band B, but to be perfectly honest, I find this a pain. I would sooner have 1000 frequencies the same on both Bands and just set up preferential. I have not set up any radios that one can use different Bands for frequencies. Once set up, I can see the value of using Bands. But one can get around this. The scan rate of the 8900 isn't too bad so goes through the 799 frequencies fairly fast, thus I have never felt the need for setting up a lot of Bands.

davecason

yep, thought so

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers, I thought that might be the case ..... I may give Robert's idea a try of scanning most of my stuff on A and then toss the rest of the stuff I want to monitor on a pref scan on B that would work.

Like he said it's work to setup but I did buy Rt's software and cable for the 8900 so that might make it easier!

Thanks lads !

Cheers'
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.