Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC31

Feed Provider
I am setting up a Raspberry Pi feed using Darkice on a RPi3 and Raspbian Jessie Lite, a clean install on a blank micro SD card following the instructions in the Wiki on the subject. I also installed an Icecast2 server on the pi to stream locally and work out the bugs prior to going live on bcfy. All the step by step instructions went well with no errors noted.

When I try to start darkice ($ darkice -c /etc/darkice1.cfg), I get this error:

darkice: error while loading shared libraries: libjack.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Googling this error message seems to indicate a missing dependency or a file stored in the wrong location.

If I try to start it using the service method in the instructions, I get no error message, simply back to the command prompt but the stream does not start.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Jim

DC31

Feed Provider
Raspbian Jessie

Using Jessie as the OS on the pi, darkice will start and run manually fine. However, Jessie uses a different means of starting programs as a service. The instructions to start it as a service and to load it on boot do not work with Jessie.

If you are setting up a feed using these instructions, you should load Wheezy on your SD card rather than Jessie until the instructions are updated.

putterizer

I am trying to get a new BCFY feed up using a Raspberry Pi3. I am having issues getting DarkIce to connect to the servers.

I have followed the setup instructions here: Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Build - The RadioReference Wiki

I have edited the config file and double and triple checked to see that the feed mount info is correct.

When I get to the final step and run "sudo service darkice1 start" the feed never goes online.

Any help is appreciated.

DC31

Feed Provider
I am trying to get a new BCFY feed up using a Raspberry Pi3. I am having issues getting DarkIce to connect to the servers.

I have followed the setup instructions here: Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Build - The RadioReference Wiki

I have edited the config file and double and triple checked to see that the feed mount info is correct.

When I get to the final step and run "sudo service darkice1 start" the feed never goes online.

Any help is appreciated.

Raspbian Jessie uses systemd to start programs rather than service. Your line above, "sudo service darkice1 start" Is attempting to start darkice as a service. Won't work on the new Jessie. I don't even pretend to understand it but there are several posts out there about it, including this one: Making a simple systemd file for Raspberry Pi jessie | Neil's Notes

If you use an earlier version of Raspbian (Wheezy) those instructions will likely work.

I use "screen" and run my darkice in a detached screen. Use a line in crontab to start it on boot.

To install screen : $ sudo apt-get install screen

To start darkice in a detached screen: $ screen -dmS Bcfy-feed darkice

$ crontab -e Will get you crontab info.

Using screen is probably "old school" but it works.

putterizer

Thanks for the reply. I'll tinker tonight and see if I can get it to run.
If I can get it to run and connect up to BCFY, then I'll work on seeing if I can get the cron to work.

I am going to be putting this in a remote location at a non tech savvy persons house, so I need Darkice to auto reboot and launch after a power outage so the feed comes back online.

DC31

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply. I'll tinker tonight and see if I can get it to run.
If I can get it to run and connect up to BCFY, then I'll work on seeing if I can get the cron to work.

I am going to be putting this in a remote location at a non tech savvy persons house, so I need Darkice to auto reboot and launch after a power outage so the feed comes back online.

More info:
https://sites.google.com/site/glyman3home/raspi-streaming-to-broadcastify/scannerfeed-disk-image

You might also want to look into noip.com or cayenne.com for remote access after relocating it. I tried cayenne a month or so ago and could connect up to a relocated pi without any modifications at the remote site.

Try cayenne.mydevices.com

putterizer

More info:
https://sites.google.com/site/glyman3home/raspi-streaming-to-broadcastify/scannerfeed-disk-image

You might also want to look into noip.com or cayenne.com for remote access after relocating it. I tried cayenne a month or so ago and could connect up to a relocated pi without any modifications at the remote site.

Try cayenne.mydevices.com

I tried the image from glyman3 above. The pi wouldn't boot past the rainbow screen.

I also tried the "screen" steps you had in the prior post. That was unsuccessful at getting Darkice to run as well.

I tried to get Wheezy image installed and it wouldn't boot past the rainbow screen either.

I followed the steps here: https://k0fey.com/2016/01/28/ham-radio-raspberry-pi-streaming-with-scanner-part-1/
and got ezstream to work. The stream is working and will now upload to the specified mountpoint setup in the config file. With the scripts that are explained, it also auto connects and starts feeding on bootup.
To simulate a power outage, I had the feed going and uploading. Then pulled the plug to the pi for a minute, then powered it back up and the feed came right back online and was uploading the audio.
I need to do a bit more testing locally before i ship this off and know it will be good enough to run with no problems.

Also, thanks for the link to cayenne.mydevices.com. I set that up and that looks like it will work exactly like I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.

DC31

Feed Provider
I tried the image from glyman3 above. The pi wouldn't boot past the rainbow screen.

I also tried the "screen" steps you had in the prior post. That was unsuccessful at getting Darkice to run as well.

I tried to get Wheezy image installed and it wouldn't boot past the rainbow screen either.

I followed the steps here: https://k0fey.com/2016/01/28/ham-radio-raspberry-pi-streaming-with-scanner-part-1/
and got ezstream to work. The stream is working and will now upload to the specified mountpoint setup in the config file. With the scripts that are explained, it also auto connects and starts feeding on bootup.
To simulate a power outage, I had the feed going and uploading. Then pulled the plug to the pi for a minute, then powered it back up and the feed came right back online and was uploading the audio.
I need to do a bit more testing locally before i ship this off and know it will be good enough to run with no problems.

Also, thanks for the link to cayenne.mydevices.com. I set that up and that looks like it will work exactly like I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Those directions seem quite well detailed. I hadn't seen them before. A good find.

The previous images that have been posted and linked to were mostly based on the older model B or maybe B+. When the new Pi's came out they needed the current operating system to boot properly. Those older images had the older operating systems on them and thus wouldn't boot for you on a Pi3. That, combined with the "service" issue with the current RR instructions, makes what should be a relatively simple process, a lot more complicated.

Setting a pi3 up from scratch using those instructions you found is probably the best route to take now.

Jim

putterizer

So I've had the pi running my stream for less than 24 hours. I see it has stopped uploading to RR 3 times now from 10-15 minutes at a crack.
I've gotten the 15 minute feed is down email 3 times since putting it online.
It recovers and continues to upload without me doing anything, but it leaves holes in the audio archives by doing this.

Any ideas?

DC31

Feed Provider
So I've had the pi running my stream for less than 24 hours. I see it has stopped uploading to RR 3 times now from 10-15 minutes at a crack.
It recovers and continues to upload without me doing anything, but it leaves holes in the audio archives by doing this.

Any ideas?

That smells of an internet connection problem. Are you connected wifi or ethernet?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

Any ideas?

Mine has done the same since day one. I can go weeks at a time then i get 2 or 3 emails in one day. I also have it setup to text me and will get a text saying it is down followed by one it is up all in the matter of 15 seconds. I haven't figured it out and I am on an ethernet connection with cable modem. Never had this issues on the windows box. Being its not a critical feed I haven't really worried about it but would be nice to resolve the issue.

putterizer

That smells of an internet connection problem. Are you connected wifi or ethernet?

I am on a wired connection and the internet isn't going down.

kb2ztx said:
Mine has done the same since day one. I can go weeks at a time then i get 2 or 3 emails in one day. I also have it setup to text me and will get a text saying it is down followed by one it is up all in the matter of 15 seconds. I haven't figured it out and I am on an ethernet connection with cable modem. Never had this issues on the windows box. Being its not a critical feed I haven't really worried about it but would be nice to resolve the issue.

Same deal here. I never had a bit of trouble when running it off the Windows machine. This isn't a critical feed either, but its nice to not have holes or gaps in the archives or having the feed drop offline when people are listening to it.

putterizer

This is what my overnight log looks like with it dropping offline for a bit, but not long enough to even send out the offline emails.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 541

putterizer

I don't think I have done that. I will try that.

It looks like it runs for about 6hrs and 10min, then drops offline for a bit, then recovers according to my logs.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 467

putterizer

It looks like it must already be expanded since I am using the NOOBS version of Jessie.

Attachments

• expanded.JPG
    expanded.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 399
Status
Not open for further replies.