Balch Springs 7/800MHz P25 Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I saw a bid for their new radio system a bit back. (There is a bit more if you search the thread title on Google)
(http://206.217.198.138/getdoc.php?cID=10000121&bID=140&mID=545&iID=3435)

And haven't checked in since. They now operate on a 7/800MHz P25 Radio System. I have limited details as of right now but am finding out more. It's possibly encrypted from what a friend who works at the FD is saying. I didn't see anything on the RRDB about it, although I seem to never look good enough. :p

I'll report back on this thread with updates. :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've had those frequencies loaded for quite some time. Hearing a small amount of traffic, but only occasionally, on one of the frequencies. Still hearing traffic on the Vhf frequencies.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
The license indicates conventional P25?? Are they not going to trunk these?

Last edited:

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
The license indicates conventional P25?? Are they not going to trunk these?

I was literally just looking into that.. I didn't see "trunked" on the license, I was so confused. Maybe its easier? Easier to link to the VHF system and other agencies trunked systems? I can't wait to meet with my guy about this. This is getting really interesting..

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I was literally just looking into that.. I didn't see "trunked" on the license, I was so confused. Maybe its easier? Easier to link to the VHF system and other agencies trunked systems? I can't wait to meet with my guy about this. This is getting really interesting..

With an agency that small it makes sense to use P25 conventional. Why they didnt simply go with a digital license on the existing freqs is beyond me. But with Dallas eventually going 700/800 from their UHF, and some of the other neighboring agency's already in that band range from an inter op perspective it makes sense. But then again it would also make more sense if the agencies banded together to make a regional system. I look at Forney and wonder why they have a trunking system when they only utilize a few talk groups. Also the linking of agencies at a dispatch level is easy no matter what system or frequencies or protocols they use. Dispatch consoles are designed to have multiple connection types in them to facilitate patches. Some can be a matter of having an additional radio hooked up to it or a land line / data line hooked to a central controller. Either way the more agencies on 700/800 in the near future the better for people to monitor with less equipment. :)

Also if memory serves me correctly you can set up a P25 single channel with a talk group. Dont recall all the details because i have not seen it but i do believe its possible. Please someone correct me if i am wrong on that.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Technically speaking, conventional P25 is actually single frequency trunking. Most users simply use TG 1 for everything. They have radio IDs and many other features of multi-frequency trunking. If you have a Uniden try it as a One Frequency Trunking system. As I said most use Tg1 but I've seen systems where multiple TGs are used; i,e, TG2 in on a DPS P25 channel.

Russell

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
There is a difference between conventional P25 and single channel trunking.

I read that media release, and, wow, if I lived there, I would be looking to replace people. They're obviously clueless. But that aside, their disposition regarding transparency and their relationship with the public is undesirable.

With an agency that small it makes sense to use P25 conventional.

I generally disagree, unless you mean a small agency in a rural setting. In a more populated area, small agencies should be on trunked systems since their low volume of radio traffic does not justify tying up a frequency in a crowded metro area. On the other hand, some larger agencies many not really need trunking. For instance, the primary talk group for a police department nearby is probably utilized 75%+ percent of the day. Of course, they would probably all talk over each other if not queued up by the system, so perhaps they just need a dedicated channel on the trunked system.

Anyways, next time I am driving through, I'll setup a transient feed so people can listen on their cell phone. Oh, the horror! We will have to act as if we might be held accountable for our actions.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Scanned all day.. All 4 repeaters I programmed in, with CSQ, didn't hear a peep, I think they may be operating on talkgroups as mentioned.. I left the default at 1. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm using my XTS3000. Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Do you guys think they will move to the TxWARN system.....
I guess you could never say never, but I doubt it. Here in the DFW Metro area, there's very little usage on TxWARN P25 other than some ems in Kaufman County. Nobody in Dallas County using it at all. The closest site to Dallas is in Kaufman.

Hopefully, Balch Springs' new radios will be capable of P25 trunking so that they can interact with Mesquite (moving to a new shared P25 Phase II system along with Garland), and eventually Dallas, both city & county. As noted in another thread, Dallas asked for proposals from bidders to construct a new system, with Dallas County also on board. Dallas & Mesquite quite often assist Balch Springs on fires, along with responses on LBJ/IH-635 for major traffic accidents.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Scanned all day.. All 4 repeaters I programmed in, with CSQ, didn't hear a peep, I think they may be operating on talkgroups as mentioned.. I left the default at 1. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm using my XTS3000. Thanks.

I would have programmed them as analog, so you can at least tell if they are used at all or not...but that's just me. :wink:

Programming them as P25 limits your reception to P25 only.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Eh... if they worked together with others on shared radio systems, too many people would be able to listen. At least that's the vibe I get from their official press release... It's much better if each agency runs separate responses and tactics for the same incident. It's also best that the public not be aware: We shouldn't be able to make decisions to stay off the highway, and more traffic makes working the scene safer for the responders. Also, they really just like the power and control.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would have programmed them as analog, so you can at least tell if they are used at all or not...but that's just me. :wink:

I entered them without setting to analog or digital.

Only traffic I've heard, so far, was on 854.6375, NAC 057. Only caught bits and pieces of the traffic, so not enough to confirm usage (PD, Fire, whatever).

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber

Haha! I will try that!

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I entered them without setting to analog or digital.

Only traffic I've heard, so far, was on 854.6375, NAC 057. Only caught bits and pieces of the traffic, so not enough to confirm usage (PD, Fire, whatever).

I will note that down and listen. Thank ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.