New radio does DMR, D-Star and Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8OHU

I wonder if this is going to take as long to reach completion as the CS-7000 has.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Well, supposedly it will be "announced at Dayton" so I'll keep my eyes open for this bit of possible vaporware...

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Board with no chips?

I really hope they can pull this off. The pictures posted looked like boards with no
components on them. Still I wish I knew where/when in hamvention this demo will occur.

See you all there,

KB5UDF-> W5JAB

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Translation--->
The radio is running under the title "NEW RADIO" and a 2m / 70cm dual band mobile transceiver, which dominates the digital voice modes FM, D-STAR, C4FM and DMR. The device has a 1.8 GHz processor with Linux operating system and 2 pcs. AMBE + chip to allow two digital modes are heard simultaneously or heard and sent.
About an LTE modem can also be set up an Internet connection, and automatically load this way relay lists (with frequencies, storage, etc.) and user lists (ID callsign). "The code plug-programming is a thing of the past!" Writes Kurt, OE1KBC.
For more information, there will be after the official presentation of this transceiver to the Hamvention in Dayton, Ohio.

bharvey2

I'm gettin' goosebumps! I hope something comes to fruition soon. I know Jerry at Connect Systems has been working on something like this too. Rumor has it that he's got some things ironed out and will have something roughed up for Dayton.

Kb2Jpd

Edit.. I should have titled this 'Proposed Radio'.. It doesn't exist yet :)

Seems the Europeans have cobbled up plans a dual band multi mode radio that will DMR, D-Star and Fusion

European hams announce NEWRADIO - a dual-band, multi-mode radio to support DMR, D-STAR and C4FM - VA3XPR

Can't find much else on it..

http://www.newradio.eu/?lang=en

Looks like they are making two digital VHF/UHF radios and one HF/6M SDR radios.

The photos depect unpopulated PCB boards. Probably not how they will be finalized.

628b31989509fac08936f877da1585b7.jpg
5cf4bd7b02b768e6578945802d221361.jpg

However the handheld is smart. They are taking an Android phone and making it into a DMR.
aaed9f045b6bb5e0b9be88aec580025b.jpg

RayAir

Nice, but just like the CS7000, I'll believe it when I see one available for sale.

Aero125

I guess until reports come from Dayton I wont get too excited. I will give some kudos to the ohotoshop artist on the HT. That FTM-400/Iphone artists rendering looks impressive.

mm

Really your dazzled by a cobbled together concept picture, the HT just like the mobile is a concept and both have no working hardware nor software so nothing exist hardware wise at this time.

Part of The HT picture is an overlay from what appears to be a Yaesu mobile merged with the display from a cell phone.

The mobile picture has an un-populated circuit board with no components otherwise the display would be turned on,

Even a first generation red label prototype will probably take a couple of years to get a working concept together and this model will most likely have considerable software and some hardware bugs.

From experience in a commercial design environment, in 6 to 9 months time 20% of the HARDWARE will be obsoleted by the parts suppliers resulting in time to market delays to deal with obsolete procurement issues.

After software and hardware is even to a point where the product is marketable then comes considerable industry certification which entails fixing failing test which results in a ongoing process of testing, fixing, testing dealing with obsolete or poor choice components that requires redesign and then retesting resulting in a repeating cycle all the time eating up money.

Just look at the Connect Systems CS7000 a similar design mobile whose concept began about 2 years ago and still hasn't been released.

bharvey2

I was dazzled by the bright lights and pretty colors too.

I was being facetious. I guess I should know better given the problems that some radio vendors have encountered in bringing a product from concept to market.

mm

I realized that, I was busting your chops on easily dazzled.

Some more info on what is in this bulletin.

The mobile picture is an unfinished/unpopulated KYDERA CDM-550 UHF DMR radio.

KYDERA is a chicom, Chinese radio company, so nothing in this article is any of their original design.

KYD Kydera CDM-550 UHF DMR Mobile Radio | Grapevine Amateur Radio

The portable radio picture is a combination of a smartphone display and the display from a Yaesu FTM-400DR system Fusion radio overlaid to look like they have something at this time.

Yaesu and KYDERA really need to have them take these decietfull pictures out of these peoples concept article.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

Everything in the article is that of other manufacturers, yaesu and kydera, and so far none of these guys design, yet.

Also I just heard that connect systems has the cs7000 ready to debut at Dayton so they at least have a somewhat working product.

kc5hwb

Premium Subscriber
Also I just heard that connect systems has the cs7000 ready to debut at Dayton so they at least have a somewhat working product.

Yes, they claim they will have a "prototype" so for all we know, it might be a CS750 with "CS7000" stamped on the outside of the case, and nothing else changed. Who knows. But I will be at Dayton this year, and I will certain be looking for this radio, along with the German copy of the CDM-550H (along with anything else new in the DMR arena too)

dmaria

I guess until reports come from Dayton I wont get too excited. I will give some kudos to the ohotoshop artist on the HT. That FTM-400/Iphone artists rendering looks impressive.

I'm not impressed. MSN Messenger was retired by Microsoft years ago. At least use something current for your Photoshop fabrication.

N4KVE

What happened to modifying the MD-380 to use other modes?
Not gonna happen, due to the lack of hardware. While the experimental software could possible allow this to happen, the lack of hardware will not. Since this radio was designed to be as cheap as possible, it barely does DMR properly. How could one expect it to function in other modes properly. Could one expect to load Windows 10 on a DOS machine, & expect it to work?

D

DaveNF2G

Apparently this new vapor radio is brought to you by the DV4Mini people and quite a few hams are already disenchanted with their ability to make a good DMR product.

Status
Not open for further replies.