Help choosing PORTABLE antenna for railbands 160-161Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to have either a Yaesu FT-270R or a Kenwood TH-K20. I'm really beginning to lean on the Kenwood, as it's VHF only as well as Yaesu, but has narrow band receive, which all major railroads use. Plus it's more compact, and seems to be a highly performing unit. If anyone has other suggestions, though, feel free.

Anyways, I'm going to need an antenna. (Railroads are 160-162 Mhz)

I have a J Pole for the roof, but I will need something for mobile purposes.

Here are some options that many people have recommended
Diamond SRH77CA
MFJ 1717S
Smiley Antenna Tuned Telescopic 160 MHz (10 inches short is 1/4), (48 inches is 5/8)
Smiley Antenna 5/8 Slim Duck (10.5 inches) Tuned to 160 MHz

IIs there any advantage to get the more pricey, Super Stick II 160 MHZ instead of the 5/8 Slim Duck 160 MHZ model?

Because BOTH are tuned to the same frequency, does the 48 inches on the telescopic one make a difference? It says 48 inches is the 5/8 setting, so would it perform the same as the slim duck 160 at 160Mhz?

Thanks.

I am going to have either a Yaesu FT-270R or a Kenwood TH-K20. I'm really beginning to lean on the Kenwood, as it's VHF only as well as Yaesu, but has narrow band receive, which all major railroads use. Plus it's more compact, and seems to be a highly performing unit. If anyone has other suggestions, though, feel free.

Anyways, I'm going to need an antenna. (Railroads are 160-162 Mhz)

I have a J Pole for the roof, but I will need something for mobile purposes.

Here are some options that many people have recommended
Diamond SRH77CA
MFJ 1717S
Smiley Antenna Tuned Telescopic 160 MHz (10 inches short is 1/4), (48 inches is 5/8)
Smiley Antenna 5/8 Slim Duck (10.5 inches) Tuned to 160 MHz

IIs there any advantage to get the more pricey, Super Stick II 160 MHZ instead of the 5/8 Slim Duck 160 MHZ model?

Because BOTH are tuned to the same frequency, does the 48 inches on the telescopic one make a difference? It says 48 inches is the 5/8 setting, so would it perform the same as the slim duck 160 at 160Mhz?

Thanks.

Any recommendations guys? Maybe a MFJ 1717S or a SRH77CA?

cmdrwill

The antennas listed will put way too much tork on the antenna jack in the radio. I doubt they are any better than a factory 160 antenna.

Use the factory antenna for the 160 range, same as used on the commercial version of these radios.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
non telescopic smiley tuned to the appropriate frequency band will outperform any stock antenna without adding any stress to the jack, especially in a receive only environment.

FKimble

Like all HT's currently made, the FT270 will do wide and narrow deviation. See page 64 in the manual, downloadable from Yaesu, for instructions on changing the deviation from wide to narrow. For about the same price, last time I checked, I would consider the Ft60R also. It's dual band with a wide receive range which would give you a lot more potential uses. The FT60 also gets glowing reviews on Eham. I am a Yaesu HT, Kenwood mobile guy.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an older thread, but what did you end up getting?

Of those choices the Slim Duck is the best. Although it's harder to find, the Laird EXH-160-SMV is a great choice if you go with the Yaesu since it's the same "gain" antenna used on Kenwood portables the railroads use. As far as performance they do about the same, but the Laird has better build quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.