Good mobile with DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

whooey

Want to eventually install a mobile in my 2008 Suburban. I have DMR repeater in my town. Looking for suggestions on a mobile with DMR capabilities. Don't need many more bells and whistles than that. :D

Thanks!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Currently choices aren't plentiful. I have two Connect Systems CS800 mobiles; one for the shack and the other for my car. At $280 each they get the job done without a lot of "bells and whistles." They support up to 65k "contacts" which is quite a bit more than the currently active DMR subscribers worldwide.

N4KVE

Can't go wrong with a Motorola XPR4550. Mint used ones seem to be going for $300, or less. Last Melbourne Hamfest I picked up a "used" one for $300 which included a base mike which alone sells for $50-$100. The radio can't be told from new, & was only a few months old. Motorola radio for $300, Chinese radio for $280, it's a "no brainer" to me.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'll be paying special attention for any new DMR products that appear at Dayton this year.

Oh yes, one other thing I forgot to mention is that the CS800 may be remote mounted easily using a shielded CAT5 or CAT6 cable.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You don't mention any budget.. If funds aren't an issue, the Motorola XPR5550 would be a great choice.

If you are constrained, then I agree with N4GIX and MOONBOTS. The CS800 or a used XPR4550 would be good choices.

Note that you will have to buy Motorola's CPS programming software to program the Motorola units (Or have someone with the software to do it for you). The Connect Systems programming software is free.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Fairly new to the commercial DMR market in the USA is Kenwood.
TK-D740HV VHF and TK-D840HU UHF radios are now on the market.
These are a lower tier commercial radio, so probably not what you'd initially be looking at for amateur use, but it's an option. Drawback is they are only 32 channels.
If you can wait a few months, they'll be releasing the DMR option for the NX-5000 radios. That'll give you the option of analog, DMR, NXDN and P25 all in one radio. They can also be linked together with up to 3 RF decks and 2 control heads.

whooey

N4KVE

Actually, right at this moment there is a really nice XPR4550 for sale on eBay, but only two hours + left. Starting bid is $279 with zero bids so far, so maybe it could be your's at that price!

Motorola Mototrbo XPR4550 UHF 450 512 MHz 40 Watt 1000 CH Mobile Radio | eBay
Since he probably wants to use DMR in the ham band, he would want a 403-470 version. The 450-520 radio will work in the ham band, but programming is more involved. Just get the proper split. This radio is priced higher than others I've seen, but this is the model you want. A programming cable is easily made from a USB cable, & if you don't know anybody who can give you Trbo CPS, it's easily found on Ebay for $25, or less.
Motorola Mototrbo XPR 4550 UHF 403 470 MHz Mobile Two Way Radio Fast Delivery | eBay
Motorola Trbo Programming Software Mototrbo CPS 12 1 CPS | eBay

Last edited:

Stephen

I have both a VHF and UHF XPR5550 in my truck, they are great radios. One feature I really enjoy when I am traveling is roaming of which last time I checked is only available in the newer DMR radios from Motorola. They have served me well, though I only use Motorola so I maybe a tad bit partial.

N4KVE

I have both a VHF and UHF XPR5550 in my truck, they are great radios. One feature I really enjoy when I am traveling is roaming of which last time I checked is only available in the newer DMR radios from Motorola. They have served me well, though I only use Motorola so I maybe a tad bit partial.
1st gen Moto radios {XPR4550, & XPR6550] roam just fine too.

RayAir

I too suggest either the Motorola XPR4550 or 5550.

The Hytera MD782 is a good radio too.

I've never had a problem with CS radios, they are how I got started in DMR, but the above listed radios are more professional grade and will last you a long time.
I think you'll be happy with purchasing any of them.
Just buy from a reputable seller.

PACNWDude

+1 on the Motorola XPR4550. I have used one of these myself for a couple of years now. They were about $600 each when I bought mine. They take a bit to program, but $300 gets me three years of CPS updates via Motorola Online. Several calls to Motorola were needed to get everything set up correctly, account, web access and updates and all. Hardware is typical Motorola, proprietary yet durable.

Some friends have used the Hytera radios, and those are good too. Better price and seem to hold up in mobile environments.

My experience with Kenwood, and the entire JVC/Kenwood Group - Zetron - EF Johnson has not been so good. My Kenwood radios are on my chopping block. (Not DMR models though.) Customer service, repair and warranty issues are making me leave those manufacturers behind. They have some internal issues that they need to work out before my money goes that direction again.

Kb2Jpd

Can't go wrong with a Motorola XPR4550. Mint used ones seem to be going for $300, or less. Last Melbourne Hamfest I picked up a "used" one for $300 which included a base mike which alone sells for $50-$100. The radio can't be told from new, & was only a few months old. Motorola radio for $300, Chinese radio for $280, it's a "no brainer" to me.

Don't you have to still get the programming software and cable for the used Motorola radio. Then there is the money spent on gas and time spent coming and going to the " radio shop".

That’s a "no-brainer" to me.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Everyone has their own version of Roaming. Simoco for instance functions the same but the subscriber actually votes against the beacons selects channel accordingly. They call their version voting.

As far as mobiles go, new options are available from Motorola, Simoco, Tait, Connect Systems, Kenwood, and Hytera.

If remote head is needed, Simoco only currently offers remote head (2 HHCH, 1 full featured head) as they haven't released their dash mount mobile yet. All of which use regular CAT5E for interconnection (that has been one of their features now since they released their MPT radios nearly two decades ago). Downside to Simoco, 25W only.

Motorola is one of my favorites with Simoco answer Tait coming in a tied second.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Don't you have to still get the programming software and cable for the used Motorola radio. Then there is the money spent on gas and time spent coming and going to the " radio shop".

That’s a "no-brainer" to me.

Radio shop? What radio shop? I have 5 Motorolas, and have never had to go to any radio shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.