Mohegan Lake Bootlegger

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Young kid today was bootlegging today on the MT. Beacon 146.97 repeater. He was using the call sign K2BP. I was able to make contact with the real K2BP, and he stated he hasn't been on the air in a few years. This bootlegger sounded like he could of been a teenager. Kept asking for signal reports, said he was in Mohegan Lake. He stated he was using a Baofeng with a Nagoya antenna, and was switching from 1 to 5 watts.

Just an FYI.

teufler

Perhaps he's new to the radio hobby, not understanding the use of someone elses call sign is a NO NO. I'm sure that in time, he will learn. My time as an OOC, I df'ed on a signal that was upsetting a local sheriff frequency. Turned out the signal was on their dispatch frequency putting out false aid requests. Along with a sheriffs deputy, we encountered a 14 yr old boy. When his father found out what he was doing, the father gave the radio to the sheriff, and that was the end of it. I think the father had a come to Jesus session with his son later. There was no legal actions as the sheriff was happy the interference was gone, and it seemed was just a prank. No lasting harm.

emt587

Premium Subscriber
Well,

Since the Moderator felt the need to remove my Posts, let me rephrase my thoughts, Yes, It is wrong to use someone elses call. However, I believe Discretion here is the key, Discretion NOT throw the baby out with the bath water but to Educate. especially if someone is Young. It sounds like all that this young person was doing was MAYBE using someone elses call. I don't think he was causing any interference or jamming anyone. So why not just politely tell this KID. YOU need to get a license of your own. and maybe, refer him to the ARRL. tracking people down and playing cop is NOT in the TRUE Spirit of Amateur Radio.

Again, this is only MY opinion. and am entitled to express it.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Since the Moderator felt the need to remove my Posts, let me rephrase my thoughts, Yes, It is wrong to use someone elses call. However, I believe Discretion here is the key, Discretion NOT throw the baby out with the bath water but to Educate. especially if someone is Young. It sounds like all that this young person was doing was MAYBE using someone elses call. I don't think he was causing any interference or jamming anyone. So why not just politely tell this KID. YOU need to get a license of your own. and maybe, refer him to the ARRL. tracking people down and playing cop is NOT in the TRUE Spirit of Amateur Radio.

Again, this is only MY opinion. and am entitled to express it.
Within the last few months we have had issues with jamming on our repeaters. It was bad to the point that we had to shut the DTMF decoder off to the repeater. If the kid wants to get a license I have no issue pointing him in the write direction. He wasn't just using someone's call sign, he was also using the person who the license is issued to name.

I'm sorry you feel a problem with the way it was handled, but with the problems we been having we do get a little suspicious rather quickly. That is your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.