Spectrum Management System Data Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfxChris

Database Admin
So, am I missing something here? I can do a single frequency search, but when I try to limit the results to just Nova Scotia for instance, I get results from right across the country.

Also every time I do a new search I have to select the fields to display in the results every damned time. It doesn't seem to remember my settings from one search to another.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Still a lot of bugs BUT it's kind of working. Step in the right direction.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Also licensee name search doesn't seem to be working for me. I typed Halifax into the licensee name field and it returned no results. There should be a number of licenses under the name Halifax Regional Municipality.

Edit: And now it's working. What a piece of work.

Edit 2: After some further playing, it seems the text field for the licensee name is case sensitive! Most of the licenses are under "HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY" in caps like that, so my search for Halifax wasn't finding them.
Also annoyingly the text box for the licensee name is limited to 20 characters.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
It appears that name and location searches require an exact match.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Work in progress

Still a lot of bugs BUT it's kind of working. Step in the right direction.

Yea, I tried all weekend to use it and the whole site was down so they must of been doing a lot of work on it, sometimes the frequency search will work good and also the geographic search works good then an couple of hours later nothing works, so from time to time they are shutting everything down so they can fix the problems.
Steve

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's still nasty as hell. I've been doing searches for locating DMR licenses in BC and Alberta over the weekend and even after the "improvements" that kept it down all Saturday, it's still ugly.

Not only is the search field case-sensitive but it breaks on single quotes ("Vancouver Int'l" fails but "Vancouver Int" will get you the results including "Vancouver Int'l Airport Authority"). Little Bobby Tables, anyone?

I don't know if this is a Chrome thing or if it works differently in IE, but search result pages that have more than one page (10 results) very briefly show the search criteria menu and then blank/hide it, leaving a ton of whitespace below the results instead. I figured out that if you hit Esc to stop loading the page when you see a blue border poking out from under the search results, you can get (some of, depending on how fast you are vs your browser's load time) the criteria to stay on screen. Included on that criteria page is an option to download your results via CSV, which prevents you from having to copy-and-paste 10 results at a time and then hit Next Page and repeat x up to 99 pages.

Frequencies with more than 3 significant digits past the decimal are still rounded up or down in search results, which is annoying as hell. The biggest frustration here is it isn't consistent. 466.6375 might be rounded up to 466.638, but 451.2375 is rounded to 451.237. And there's a bunch of freqs in BC that go out to 6 decimal places, so 412.884375 for example is returned as 412.884.

Search results are limited to 1000 rows returned, unless you decide to filter out some unwanted returns by asking for "Land Mobile" results only... now you're limited to 500 rows. WTF?

Lat and long are displayed in (d)dd:mm:ss format which is tolerable (except that lat and long are separated in the table that's returned by "Location", since it comes alphabetically before longitude) - unless you paste into an Excel workbook or save to CSV and load into Excel, at which point Excel interprets them as times ((h)hh:mm:ss)! Okay, I know that one isn't entirely IC's fault, but still, ugh.

The other gripe I have about search returns is that you get two returns for every frequency you're looking for. The type is designated as "TX_RES : Simplex", "TX_RES : Duplex", or the same two repeated for "RX". So if you're looking for a large amount of search results, you'll essentially get twice as much data as you need (or be limited to returning half as much as you want, since you're limited to 1000 rows). For example for a UHF repeater and the authorization for a mobile (or handheld) to talk to it, you get four rows - "TX_RES : Duplex" with ITU class FX for the repeater site's "output" frequency, "RX_RES : Duplex" for the repeater's "input" freq; and "TX_RES : Duplex" with ITU class ML for the repeater's input freq as permission for a mobile to use it, and "RX_RES : Duplex" for the repeater's output freq as permission for mobile.

Having said all that, the virtual license documents are kind of improved.

Though it's amusing to see DMR and NXDN licenses with restrictions stating "CODED SQUELCH AND/OR PRIVATE-LINE IS MANDATORY ON THIS SHARED FREQUENCY".

slicerwizard

Frequencies with more than 3 significant digits past the decimal are still rounded up or down in search results, which is annoying as hell. The biggest frustration here is it isn't consistent. 466.6375 might be rounded up to 466.638, but 451.2375 is rounded to 451.237. And there's a bunch of freqs in BC that go out to 6 decimal places, so 412.884375 for example is returned as 412.884.

Lat and long are displayed in (d)dd:mm:ss format which is tolerable (except that lat and long are separated in the table that's returned by "Location", since it comes alphabetically before longitude)
I noticed these as well. It's like they hired someone straight out of - oh, I dunno - DeVry or something? Coding a search function and not realizing - before writing a single line of code - that a case sensitive search wouldn't cut it? Couldn't remember the URL for stackoverflow.com? Just seems like someone is in over their head.

hfxChris

Database Admin
I don't know if this is a Chrome thing or if it works differently in IE, but search result pages that have more than one page (10 results) very briefly show the search criteria menu and then blank/hide it, leaving a ton of whitespace below the results instead. I figured out that if you hit Esc to stop loading the page when you see a blue border poking out from under the search results, you can get (some of, depending on how fast you are vs your browser's load time) the criteria to stay on screen. Included on that criteria page is an option to download your results via CSV, which prevents you from having to copy-and-paste 10 results at a time and then hit Next Page and repeat x up to 99 pages.
Same here in Chromium and Firefox. I was wondering what all that white space was about, never did once see the search thing pop up though.

This legitimately made me laugh when I saw it. Rounding frequencies for display. Awesome job guys..

mciupa

Also. when doing a Search by frequency and selecting the location menu, United States of America is listed with the provinces in the All Canada drop down.

Whaaaaat !!??:confused: :roll:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Also. when doing a Search by frequency and selecting the location menu, United States of America is listed with the provinces in the All Canada drop down.

Whaaaaat !!??:confused: :roll:

I suppose it is possible that you could have Canadian-owned licenses in the USA.

It doesn't matter, though - search by freq ends up returning the entire country regardless of what option you pick (at least, when I pick Alberta, it does).

Just found another gem in the Name Search. I was looking for a licensee called NAUTA FARMS, so I just put in NAUTA. With the old Spectrum Direct system, if you have multiple (similar) matches, you are presented with a list of licensees to pick from. With Spectrum Manglement System, you are presented all the licenses for all the matches. So I get AARON NAUTA, SERVICES COMMUNAUTAIRES PRESCOTT ET RUSSELL INC., and about 9 pages of others. And of course no Nauta Farms because it's in their DB as mixed/proper case. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.