Staunton va mototrbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cappy400

Hello, anyone know exactly which system Staunton VA city uses?
Is it dmr, mototrbo capacity plus, or mototrbo connect plus? I see police 1 is 460.1750 slot 1, group 10001
Also police 2 is 460.3750 is slot 1, group 10001. The school buses are 461.3325 color code 1, and the schools are 466.6625 color code 1. Want to make sue the upgrade will be beneficial for me . Thank you for any help.

cappy400

thank you for the response. will i have to find a lcn order in my 436 discovery mode with the frequencies listed? like i had to with the harrisonburg/rockingham county provoice?

fredva

Feed Provider
I think Staunton's system and Rockingham-Harrisonburg system are two different animals. Rockingham-Harrisonburg is a trunking system with EDACS ProVoice while Staunton has conventional frequencies with DMR/Mototrbo.

What upgrade are you talking about that will do DMR/Mototrbo? I know there is a ProVoice upgrade for the 436hp scanner. If there is a DMR/Mototrbo upgrade, I must have missed that.

Last edited:

cappy400

The new uniden dmr/ mototrbo update announced the other day. I live in Staunton so this would help me out. You can already hear traffic on broadcastify . I think someone from the newspaper is using a scanner and a computer program. At least not all of it is encrypted.

cappy400

Hopefully the upgrade will have a dmr/mototrbo discovery to help out with programming. I have read about "slots and color codes". Maybe a Lcn order, maybe not. Confusing right now. My concern was uniden was upgrading a few things, I wanted to make sure the upgrade covered what Staunton was using so I did not "waste" $50.00.

fredva

Feed Provider
Ah, I had not seen the announcements from Uniden and Whistler concerning DMR. I see them now. Uniden's announcement says they are adding the following:

Conventional Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) channels (paid DMR upgrade required)
MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Trunked Radio systems (paid DMR upgrade required)
MotoTRBO Connect Plus Trunked Radio Systems (paid DMR upgrade required)

Based on what I see in the database, I believe Staunton police and schools fall into the first category, assuming the database is accurate.

My understanding of LCN is that it is applicable only to certain trunking systems. The database doesn't indicate that Staunton has a trunking system.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Ah, I had not seen the announcements from Uniden and Whistler concerning DMR. I see them now. Uniden's announcement says they are adding the following:

Conventional Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) channels (paid DMR upgrade required)
MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Trunked Radio systems (paid DMR upgrade required)
MotoTRBO Connect Plus Trunked Radio Systems (paid DMR upgrade required)

Based on what I see in the database, I believe Staunton police and schools fall into the first category, assuming the database is accurate.

My understanding of LCN is that it is applicable only to certain trunking systems. The database doesn't indicate that Staunton has a trunking system.
I'm the one that submitted the info for the police and schools. When I was there before Christmas, the PD info was still correct.

There is no LNC. Staunton PD and Schools are only DMR repeater based radios; nothing trunked.

Using DMR decode and the PSR800 in discriminator mode output, it's fairly easy to get the slot, CC ad group ID. I use a Hytera handheld to listen to them.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any advice on how to program Staunton PD? I installed the DMR update yesterday on my 436, updated Sentinel... thought programming would be simple- but no luck, yet:confused: .

I may be too far away to receive. I'm about 15 miles from Staunton (as the crow flies), so I think I would be in range.

Thanks!

460.17500 CC 5 TG 10001 SL 1 StauntnPD 1
460.37500 CC 5 TG 10001 SL 1 StauntnPD 2

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any advice on how to program Staunton PD? I installed the DMR update yesterday on my 436, updated Sentinel... thought programming would be simple- but no luck, yet:confused: .

I may be too far away to receive. I'm about 15 miles from Staunton (as the crow flies), so I think I would be in range.

Thanks!

460.17500 CC 5 TG 10001 SL 1StauntnPD 1
460.37500 CC 5 TG 10001 SL 1StauntnPD 2
What firmware are you using? I drove down I81 a few weeks ago using the official public release and it sounded like crap. When on vacation, I updated to the latest beta which is newer than the public release. On the way home it sounded pretty good.

http://forums.radioreference.com/showthread.php?t=337460

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I was using 1.11.15. Upgraded to .16 this morning but still no luck. Left the DMR settings basic... searching on most settings. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it, but I'll be able to look at it more in the next few days.

Maybe Sentinel will have DMR in the database from RadioReference by then.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
...I drove down I81 a few weeks ago using the official public release and it sounded like crap. When on vacation, I updated to the latest beta which is newer than the public release. On the way home it sounded pretty good.

Well... my issue seems to be my location. I have it going now. 15 miles away and up on a hill... I thought I was within range. Hooked the 436 to an external antenna and started receiving traffic.

I have programmed Staunton PD 4 different ways. I'm not sure which is the best, but right now I have had more hits as conventional frequencies with color code search on. I have changed that to color code 5, in Sentinel.

Just curious as to how you had yours programmed? I don't know a lot about DMR. Any advice as to the best setting?

Thanks!

troymail

Silent Key
Well... my issue seems to be my location. I have it going now. 15 miles away and up on a hill... I thought I was within range. Hooked the 436 to an external antenna and started receiving traffic.

I have programmed Staunton PD 4 different ways. I'm not sure which is the best, but right now I have had more hits as conventional frequencies with color code search on. I have changed that to color code 5, in Sentinel.

Just curious as to how you had yours programmed? I don't know a lot about DMR. Any advice as to the best setting?

Thanks!

FWIW - these DMR systems are all over the place as far as power and range -- but another thing to consider (maybe you already have):

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/337172-436-how-improve-your-uhf-reception.html

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - these DMR systems are all over the place as far as power and range -- but another thing to consider (maybe you already have):

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/337172-436-how-improve-your-uhf-reception.html

Thanks for bringing that up. I haven't followed the entire thread, but I have read the first few pages. I shielded my battery cover a few weeks ago. There "may" be a little improvement on UHF. I have always thought UHF reception was poor with my 436, so this may be a factor as you pointed out.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for bringing that up. I haven't followed the entire thread, but I have read the first few pages. I shielded my battery cover a few weeks ago. There "may" be a little improvement on UHF. I have always thought UHF reception was poor with my 436, so this may be a factor as you pointed out.

I do have to admit that my Hytera handheld is a lot more sensitive when receiving SPD, but having the ability on the 436HP is nice. Lot less to pack.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 451

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. It looks the same as I have it now.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Just when I thought I had things working correctly, I took a drive to Staunton earlier in the week. The way I have it programmed does not appear to receive all traffic. I did note that on SPD 2 there is traffic on slot 2. This appears to be the City Sheriff or courts, but I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.