what freq for LAFD station 95 (LAX) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpritjr

Hello Folks

I am near LAFD station 95, and am listening to 859.4375, however trucks have left the station on calls and I never got any radio traffic over that frequency.

Is there another freq that I need to be listening to ?

Thank You

Eng74

You never know they could be going out on calls that are called into the station and they phone it in to Metro/OCD. Normal ARRF ops is to have your lights going when you are on the field so there are other reasons for them to be going out that are just normal days at LAX.

Mikerh91

Premium Subscriber
Hello Folks

I am near LAFD station 95, and am listening to 859.4375, however trucks have left the station on calls and I never got any radio traffic over that frequency.

Is there another freq that I need to be listening to ?

Thank You
The basic channels go like this:

If Engine 95 or Light Force 95 are going on a fire related call they monitor/talk on LFD T-7
If RA95 gets a medical call or if Engine 95 or Light Force 95 get a medical call too, they monitor/talk on LFD T-4
If any of those resources are going on a structure fire they monitor/talk on LFD T-9.

SCPD

QRT
And if they are being dispatched to a brush fire or a water rescue they will be on Channel 5. I don't think they have the label of "T" before the channel as this stands for "Tactical," something that the LAFD's frequency list on their website only shows for Channels 12+.

I haven't been in southern California since 2012, but prior to that I spent anywhere from 2-12 weeks a year there (taking care of an elderly parent who passed in 2012) and I did not hear any radio traffic for dispatches of apparatus that are all in station. For example, if apparatus from Stations 5, 51 and 95 are all in quarters and an incident is dispatched that includes resources from those stations the dispatch does not go out over the radio. The dispatch is voiced in the station over an intercom and via computer screen and an automatic printout. Now if any of the resources is out of the station, is available on scene or returning to station the entire dispatch will be put out over the air. I spent my time near the intersection of Manchester and Lincoln and Station 5's apparatus rolled Code 3 through that intersection several times per day. Prior to these calls I would have my scanner parked on LAFD Channel 7 and did not hear the dispatches unless one of Station 5's apparatus was available in the field.

When I took a station tour at 5's in the mid 2000's I was told dispatches were not transmitted on the radio if all the involved units were in quarters. I've mentioned this in threads and was told every dispatch is always voiced on the radio. However, up to 2012 I did not find this to be the case when 5's rolled apparatus to the more northern portions of Batt 4.

Mikerh91

Premium Subscriber
And if they are being dispatched to a brush fire or a water rescue they will be on Channel 5. I don't think they have the label of "T" before the channel as this stands for "Tactical," something that the LAFD's frequency list on their website only shows for Channels 12+.

I haven't been in southern California since 2012, but prior to that I spent anywhere from 2-12 weeks a year there (taking care of an elderly parent who passed in 2012) and I did not hear any radio traffic for dispatches of apparatus that are all in station. For example, if apparatus from Stations 5, 51 and 95 are all in quarters and an incident is dispatched that includes resources from those stations the dispatch does not go out over the radio. The dispatch is voiced in the station over an intercom and via computer screen and an automatic printout. Now if any of the resources is out of the station, is available on scene or returning to station the entire dispatch will be put out over the air. I spent my time near the intersection of Manchester and Lincoln and Station 5's apparatus rolled Code 3 through that intersection several times per day. Prior to these calls I would have my scanner parked on LAFD Channel 7 and did not hear the dispatches unless one of Station 5's apparatus was available in the field.

When I took a station tour at 5's in the mid 2000's I was told dispatches were not transmitted on the radio if all the involved units were in quarters. I've mentioned this in threads and was told every dispatch is always voiced on the radio. However, up to 2012 I did not find this to be the case when 5's rolled apparatus to the more northern portions of Batt 4.

The lafd website has been wrong since 2011. All radio channels became tactical channels in an effort to get away from specific names. All dispatches are now verbalized on the radio. This change was due to the fact that resources returning from a call/hospital were not able to hear if they were going to drive by another emergency incident.

PaulNDaOC

I visited the new dispatch center co-located at Station 4 a couple years ago, at that time everything was being voiced at that time.

If all else fails it seems most if not all calls are real-time on pulse=point

PaulNDaOC

I've been there too. what a cool place.

Agreed, I will never forget that kitchen they have.

I loved when I was dispatching on a 12-hour shift,,, but I have trouble with the idea of big fire agencies that have dispatchers on a 24 hour platoon schedule.

I should have asked if people are arriving at work in the morning and heading right to the dorm to sleep in order to be ready to be on the floor overnight.

Anybody here know how that works?

OCFA operates in this fashion too.

SCPD

QRT
The lafd website has been wrong since 2011. All radio channels became tactical channels in an effort to get away from specific names. All dispatches are now verbalized on the radio. This change was due to the fact that resources returning from a call/hospital were not able to hear if they were going to drive by another emergency incident.

I've been thinking about this as I'm positive Station 5 responded to incidents without anything being transmitted on Channel 7. If a light force or and engine respond with a RA on a medical incident would the entire dispatch be on Channel 4? I suppose that inside the station it does not matter what channel the dispatch goes out on.

Another question, if a wildland fire or swift water rescue dispatch is put out, is the entire dispatch transmission and followup (on scene, sizeup, etc.) on Channel 5 and for structure fires on Channel 9? Or, is the dispatch first transmitted on Channel 7 (south of Mulholland) and the followup on Channel 9? I suspect the initial dispatch is transmitted on Channel 7 or Channel 8 (for the Valley) and the followup is on the appropriate channel such as Channels 5 or 9 as apparatus away from quarters would either be on Channels 7 or 8.

That brings up another question. If an engine or a light force is in service and they are dispatched to an EMS call, is is transmitted on Channel 7 or 8 and at the same time on Channel 4? Do the medic units (south of Mulholland) keep their radios on Channel 4 at all times while away from quarters?

I would try to answer these questions by listening to the feeds, but the channel names don't show up on them so it is not possible to track channel use.

Mikerh91

Premium Subscriber
Exsmokey:

You are correct on all of it.

If a light force or engine (south of Mulholland)is in service (or on the radio) then they are listening to channel 7. If that same light force or engine gets a medical call with or without an RA then they switch to channel 4. Once the engine or light force is complete with the incident they switch back to channel 7.

River rescues and brush fires are assigned an admin/dispatch channel of 5. Structure fires are assigned an admin/dispatch channel of 9. All resources assigned to that particular incident, regardless of engine or RA will switch to that dispatch channel. All further size ups or additional request will be handled on that channel.

All RA units (south of Mulholland) keep their radios on channel 4 unless directed as above.

You nailed it.

SCPD

QRT
Exsmokey:

You are correct on all of it.

If a light force or engine (south of Mulholland)is in service (or on the radio) then they are listening to channel 7. If that same light force or engine gets a medical call with or without an RA then they switch to channel 4. Once the engine or light force is complete with the incident they switch back to channel 7.

River rescues and brush fires are assigned an admin/dispatch channel of 5. Structure fires are assigned an admin/dispatch channel of 9. All resources assigned to that particular incident, regardless of engine or RA will switch to that dispatch channel. All further size ups or additional request will be handled on that channel.

All RA units (south of Mulholland) keep their radios on channel 4 unless directed as above.

You nailed it.

Since I wrote my last post I began to remember my long hours of listening to the LAFD. When listening to Channel 7 you will hear "Light Force 5 from Metro, switch to Channel 4, EMS victim of a fall." This while Light Force 5 is available and returning to quarters from another incident. This makes Channels, 4, 7 and 8 the home channels for EMS, south and north. All other channels are those that resources switch too, depending on the type of response is called for.

Since the LAFD replaced that VHF-Low, UHF-T hybrid system they had I've often wondered how they get by with the relatively small number of tacs and with only one channel designated as command. During wildfire conditions some unrelated structure fires can occur and it would seem like 2-3 command channels would be needed. I suppose a tac channel is designated as an additional command. This does not leave a very large number of tacticals, especially now that one of them has been designated "West Bureau Ops."

Status
Not open for further replies.