Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Earlier today, Wendy Taylor, Marketing Manager for Whistler, announced two new radios and free DMR upgrades for the more recent scanner lines. That thread went in the direction of the DMR upgrade: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/333386-cats-out-bag.html

I'm interesting in discussing the prospect of two new radios hitting the market. The announcement was particularly good timing for me -- I had intended to order a Uniden 436 this evening. Now I'm going to hold off. I'm sure this will evolve into a lot of speculation and wishful thinking, but does anyone have any substantial insight into the new TRX-1 and TRX-2 scanners?

More information on the official press release: https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/news/cat/Press-Room/post/DMR/

I'm particularly interested in hardware improvements, and this particular line of the press release caught my eye:

Additional features include:
Upgradeable CPU, DSP, and library

Is "upgradable" what they really meant to say? Or did they mean that the new scanner will have an "upgraded" CPU, DSP, etc. over the previous models? Or perhaps what was really meant was that the firmware will be upgradeable (which wouldn't be news)?

Perhaps I am reading too much into it. However, I really hope substantial changes were made to improve simulcast (LSM) distortion. I hope whistler will weigh in on this.

Here are more details from the press release:
The Whistler TRX-1 (handheld) and TRX-2 (desktop/Mobile) are multi-system adaptive digital trunking scanners with Motorola P25 Phase I, X2-TDMA, Phase II and DMR making them capable of monitoring the following unencrypted channels/systems:

• Conventional DMR (Entered as a DMR trunked system
  • Hytera XPT
  • MotoTRBO™ Capacity Plus
  • MotoTRBO™ Connect Plus
  • MotoTRBO™ Linked Cap Plus systems
Additionally, Whistler is announcing that development of NXDN monitoring is also underway and the TRX-1 and TRX-2 will include NXDN as a FREE upgrade when available.

These models feature a full backlit alphanumeric keypad in addition to the easy-to-use Scan, Pause, Select and Navigation controls. All USA/Canada services and frequencies are pre-programmed onto the included SD card making the units ready to use out of the box – they can even be programmed by entering your ZIP code.

Additional features include:

• Upgradeable CPU, DSP, and library
  • Store Favorite Scanlists
  • EZ Scan PC Software
  • IF/discriminator output
  • Permits recording by scannable object and saves into a Windows compatible audio file
  • Clock and calendar function adds date/time info to the recordings
  • Dedicated SKYWARN®/Weather button
  • Spectrum Sweeper
  • Programmable audio and visual alert system

What do you think?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmm... bears watching I think. Of course the the first buyers will become our "guinea pigs". I hope they post their thoughts and concerns so the rest of us can make informed decisions. :cool: 73, n9zas

scosgt

I would love to see pictures.
If they are being released in around 6 weeks, shouldn't there at least be an FCC filing someone can find?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I imagine we'll see and hear more from Whistler on this. :wink: 73, n9zas

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't get too excited about any hardware upgrades. I think "Upgradeable CPU, DSP, and library" all refer to firmware upgradeable, as the WS-1080, WS-1095, etc are now.

I would love to hear Whistler and Uniden come out and say, something like "we are changing some hardware and the receiver design to address LSM issues" too, but neither has said they're doing that, as far as I know.

I make me wonder more and more about saving my money and putting it into real radios or even trying the Unication G series.

bearcat

Earlier today, Wendy Taylor, Marketing Manager for Whistler, announced two new radios and free DMR upgrades for the more recent scanner lines. That thread went in the direction of the DMR upgrade: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/333386-cats-out-bag.html

I'm interesting in discussing the prospect of two new radios hitting the market. The announcement was particularly good timing for me -- I had intended to order a Uniden 436 this evening. Now I'm going to hold off. I'm sure this will evolve into a lot of speculation and wishful thinking, but does anyone have any substantial insight into the new TRX-1 and TRX-2 scanners?

More information on the official press release: https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/news/cat/Press-Room/post/DMR/

I'm particularly interested in hardware improvements, and this particular line of the press release caught my eye:

Is "upgradable" what they really meant to say? Or did they mean that the new scanner will have an "upgraded" CPU, DSP, etc. over the previous models? Or perhaps what was really meant was that the firmware will be upgradeable (which wouldn't be news)?

Perhaps I am reading too much into it. However, I really hope substantial changes were made to improve simulcast (LSM) distortion. I hope whistler will weigh in on this.

Here are more details from the press release:

What do you think?
Does anybody have a "link" of where to find a picture of this new unit?

John

Premium Subscriber
TRX-2 Mobile Use

I would love to see them address improvements for mobile use of the TRX-2. Something like an ignition sense circuit that would write to the SD card (assuming they use one) before powering down when the vehicle ignition is shut off. It would make mobile use much easier if you didn't have to manually turn the radio on and off all the time.

John

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would guess that it is not a new unit but is an existing scanner series with upgraded firmware. My reason for that is there has been no new scanners submitted to the FCC recently. It would be very difficult to get FCC approval, manufacture and ship for the end of June. I would guess it will be strictly firmware update with perhaps new graphics.

chris

wise871

Database Admin
I would love to see them address improvements for mobile use of the TRX-2. Something like an ignition sense circuit that would write to the SD card (assuming they use one) before powering down when the vehicle ignition is shut off. It would make mobile use much easier if you didn't have to manually turn the radio on and off all the time.

John

So what do you do if you want to listen to the scanner in the car but you don't want to turn on the ignition?

Voyager

If they had the new scanner built that you could see at Dayton then they would show a picture. They are not even showing artist drawings. Hey Whistler show us pictures.

I seem to recall the same comments about the 1098.

I also expect they will have a prototype at Dayton, and they want to draw people to their booth (which makes perfect sense). As such, expect pictures Friday. I can't say this for certain, but I suspect that will happen. If they don't even have a prototype at Dayton, then I don't know what to think about it as far as timelines. They had the PSR-900 there and that never made it to the public.

Voyager

So what do you do if you want to listen to the scanner in the car but you don't want to turn on the ignition?

Power button override. What do you do if you want to listen to your stereo without turning on the ignition?

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Power button override. What do you do if you want to listen to your stereo without turning on the ignition?

My thoughts on this for any flash based scanner is:

1. Wire it up to constant power
2. Put a Charge Guard in place to protect start functionality
3. Put a voltage stabilizer / capacitor in line to maintain power during engine crank
4. Optionally configure the scanner to auto power off after X time frame

Yeah, its not a cheap solution. But it lets you maintain a modern scanner in a vehicle and use it as you wish, when you wish. There remains a potential that the charge guard could shut off the radio prior to the auto power off, but I think if the above four steps were implemented you'd almost never corrupt a card.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My concern is that I don't see anything about it having a full keypad.

I guess you missed this part of the announcement:
These models feature a full backlit alphanumeric keypad in addition to the easy-to-use Scan, Pause, Select and Navigation controls.

QDP2012

...comment withdrawn...
fxdscon and I were typing the same answer at the same time.

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Who will commit to checking by the Whistler booth and getting pictures up on this thread later this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.