Nc game wardens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awz1287

Does the nc wildlife commission use their viper talk groups? I programed all the channels for "wildlife resources talk groups" from the database and I have been scanning it for a few days now with not a single transmission? I'm trying to listen to the game wardens specifically.
Also anyone know what district wake County and the surrounding areas would be, and what the burn channels 1-10 are for (Forrest fires?)?

reconrider8

Yes the game wardens use their system I hear them D3 all the time. And as far as the burn channels goes as far as I can tell this is what's used when they burn the wildlife game lands off to clear them

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Game Wardens

The Game Wardens/conservation officers or whatever the proper title is are definitely on the Viper system. I listen to district 2. They are not as active as I thought they would be. Certain times of the year I hear them checking seafood distribution facilities for violations and other times checking fishing and hunting licenses. I also hear them responding to game related complaints It is not uncommon for one of my days to go by and I don't hear anything (Of course I don't listen 24/7).

The burn channels are exactly what reconrider8 said they are. The beginning of the year I heard some activity on one of them and they were clearing land.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Game Warden talk system

HI, can someone give me a little more detail on monitoring the Game Wardens or Wildlife Officers in NC ? Talksystem? System type ? I am in Caldwell County NC & have a pro-106. Thank you in advance

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
"Setuphelper" - The Wildlife Resources Commission officers operate on the N.C. Viper system ... the same 800 trunked system that Caldwell County Sheriffs, fire departments and EMS use.

Some WRC units may still be using VHF high band channels for some communications. They were licensed for simplex and repeated channels in the 151 and 159 MHz ranges prior to Viper.

The WRC units in Caldwell County are assigned to WRC District 8. Besides Caldwell Co., the district includes Avery, Catawba, Burke counties.

District 7 includes the counties to the north of Caldwell Co., including Alexander, Wilkes, Watauga and Ashe counties.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
thank you jeffmulter - I will certainly give this a try - good evening : )

Slightly off topic...

I wonder if Marine Fisheries and Wildlife will be using any simplex frequencies at times.

When I lived in Brunswick County in the 90s Marine Fisheries were very heavy users of simplex on their repeater output (159.240 if I remember correctly) and 99% in the clear. Being close to the ICW gave me lots of listening opportunities.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Slightly off topic...

I wonder if Marine Fisheries and Wildlife will be using any simplex frequencies at times.

When I lived in Brunswick County in the 90s Marine Fisheries were very heavy users of simplex on their repeater output (159.240 if I remember correctly) and 99% in the clear. Being close to the ICW gave me lots of listening opportunities.

I have no idea - I do know that in western NC I haven't been able to monitor wildlife in a very long time

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
NC Game Warden

Thanks for the advice above
But it occurred to me that I left a scanner on "wildcard" with the Hibriten frequencies for several months & never heard and Game Warden , Wildlife traffic.
Do you have any idea why ? Some setting I have missed ?
Thank you

WA4MJF

Don't know if it still happens, but back in my day the High Sheriff would give the Rabbit Sheriff a county radio. Usually only one out at a time covering a county and so if he needed help it would come faster that way than calling Raleigh. Maybe same way today, Sheriff gives him, and now her, a radio of whatever kind the High Sheriff, uses to the Rabbit Sheriff and that how he /she, not the pervert kind, communicates.

kg4uad

Game Wardens are definitely on Viper in Henderson and surrounding counties. I receive D9 and D8 traffic regularly, I still cant pin down the frequencies they use when they switch to "direct" mode however. I suspect one would need to be very close to one of the mobile units to pick up 700/800mhz simplex comms. I still hear traffic on the old Vhf Mt. Pisgah wildlife repeater 159.285 but it is some type of data. It transmits a nac 293 now but with transmissions that are not P25 and to short for voice comms.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
NC Game Warden

Wa4mjf
Thank you for the info - I will keep on the listen for Game Warden traffic on Sheriff frequency. In my area Game Warden scanner traffic disappeared years ago , even before VIPER came on the scene the Game Wardens were gone.I have just restarted my efforts to monitor them .
Thank you

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
NC Game Warden

kg4uad - thank you for the info
Could you give me the details of your setup that allows you to monitor the Game Wardens ? Talkgroups? But more specifically the tower frequencies and system type ? (P25AUTO) ?
Thank you

spacellamaman

well since yall seem to care

and my previous posts about this have elicited little interest, for over a
year now i have been trying to figure out

159.315 $526

up until recently it has been full time encrypted, with a weird type of
encryption, that i call the "no-sound-sound" encryption. also CAP uses $526 in this area.

over the winter holidays since the feds and the military all stood down, as
they do every year it seems, i spent a few days dedicated to the oddballs.
still unintelligible but did get some unencrypted comms. all TGIDs and
RIDs previously had come up as 1 or not at all except for a single instance
of a TGID of 20xxx (will give exact later).

over christmas though on 159.315 i got a handfull of oddball RIDs and NACs. I had been thinking it was NCSHP but now not so sure. There is a tower in Concord that this comes off of, confirmed via signal stalker and signal bleedover in proximity to, which corresponds with the old WRC system.

I will provide more info on the details if anyone pipes up who is interested.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
NC Game Warden

Spacellamaman thank you for the info - so apparently you have been trying to monitor Game Wardens as well ? And like me with no luck ?
I just loaded up my scanner with some Henderson Co frequencies & Game Warden talk groups - I'm about 100 miles away so I may not hear anything - I will post here if I learn anything significant
Thank you

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Slightly off topic...

Marine Fisheries is very active on VIPER, North, Central and South regions use VIPER primarily. This past summer inthe OBX, they were very active

kg4uad

kg4uad - thank you for the info
Could you give me the details of your setup that allows you to monitor the Game Wardens ? Talkgroups? But more specifically the tower frequencies and system type ? (P25AUTO) ?
Thank you
Nothing exotic, pro106 with the wnc viper sites loaded. I only do control channels in my frequency list and system set to p25 auto. Wildcard channel programmed into the talkgroup id's is critical. I can program a talkgroup in and alpha tag it and still comms will come up faster and sometimes ONLY in "wildcard" mode.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

kg4uad

and my previous posts about this have elicited little interest, for over a
year now i have been trying to figure out

159.315 $526

up until recently it has been full time encrypted, with a weird type of
encryption, that i call the "no-sound-sound" encryption. also CAP uses $526 in this area.

over the winter holidays since the feds and the military all stood down, as
they do every year it seems, i spent a few days dedicated to the oddballs.
still unintelligible but did get some unencrypted comms. all TGIDs and
RIDs previously had come up as 1 or not at all except for a single instance
of a TGID of 20xxx (will give exact later).

over christmas though on 159.315 i got a handfull of oddball RIDs and NACs. I had been thinking it was NCSHP but now not so sure. There is a tower in Concord that this comes off of, confirmed via signal stalker and signal bleedover in proximity to, which corresponds with the old WRC system.

I will provide more info on the details if anyone pipes up who is interested.
Interesting, I heard a rumor that wrc vhf legacy systems were going to be handed over to the nc forest service. I doubt ncfs is running encyption so that throws it back at sbi I would think but they seem very cosy on viper. I wonder if the repeaters are mixed mode voice/data? The NAC is what throws me since I would think its p25 conventional voice but my pro106 passes the non sounding p25 emission with never an attempt to decode it just the indication of NAC. transmissions are usually no longer than 1-5 sec. Not long enough to scan and monitor you have to sit on the frequency to catch it. We have river water level monitoring stations here in Henderson co. That have vhf antennas, wonder if maybe these are the source.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

reconrider8

This could be something like the federal systems have. Could this be some sort of tower pings? (Mind went blank when trying to remember the correct term for this). The whole 1-5 sec thing throwing a nap sounds about right for this to be going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.