• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola high power Spectra mobile value

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim202

Having always been a strong supporter of the Motorola Spectra family of radios for ham use, I have a number of them.

I recently had one of the PA boards decide to have black smoke come out of the holes in the cover. Didn't know it went up in smoke until one day I went to key the radio and nothing came back from the local repeater. Opened it up and was surprised by the amount of black all over the input area of the PA board.

So decided to go see what flee bay might have available. Boy was I surprised to see that people think these radios are still worth a pile of money. They must think a sucker is born every minute for these radios and some of the parts that go in them.

Most of the radio shops I know just toss them in the dumpster. It isn't even worth trying to advertise that they have them and then go through the effort of packaging them for shipment. They weigh too much to even be bothered. Plus it would cost too much in labor to strip them down just for the cast aluminum case they have for the junkie to take them.

Kb2Jpd

Having always been a strong supporter of the Motorola Spectra family of radios for ham use, I have a number of them.

I recently had one of the PA boards decide to have black smoke come out of the holes in the cover. Didn't know it went up in smoke until one day I went to key the radio and nothing came back from the local repeater. Opened it up and was surprised by the amount of black all over the input area of the PA board.

So decided to go see what flee bay might have available. Boy was I surprised to see that people think these radios are still worth a pile of money. They must think a sucker is born every minute for these radios and some of the parts that go in them.

Before you fix it, you should let an expierenced Technican see it first and figured out how it died. Maybe it was the antenna or natural phenomenon that caused the death of the PA board. Sometimes it's more than high SWR.

Adam Kb2jpd

jim202

Before you fix it, you should let an expierenced Technican see it first and figured out how it died. Maybe it was the antenna or natural phenomenon that caused the death of the PA board. Sometimes it's more than high SWR.

Adam Kb2jpd

I have about 50 years on the bench working on radios. Have all the test equipment normally needed to service radios. Think I qualify as an experienced Technician.

I didn't indicate that it was a high SWR. My antenna has almost no reflected power.

I indicated that the problem was in the input section of the PA stage.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I threw out so many old Spectra's and 800MHz MCS2000's (after rebanding) that it was almost a crying shame. Little value on the used market, not worth the time to try and sell them.

cmdrwill

Very few Spectra radios get scraped here. If you could send a photo of the PA, I may be able to see if it is salvageable. IIRC I fixed a bunch for you years ago, 800 radios.

N4KVE

I threw out so many old Spectra's and 800MHz MCS2000's (after rebanding) that it was almost a crying shame. Little value on the used market, not worth the time to try and sell them.
Spectra's require a cap change, are wide band only, & the hi power ones are expensive to ship, but they were great radios in their day. But MCS2000's are rebandable, can do narrow band, do not have the cap problem, & I have one that's enjoying a second life as an excellent scanner.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
But MCS2000's are rebandable, can do narrow band, do not have the cap problem, & I have one that's enjoying a second life as an excellent scanner.

Right, this was after my system had been rebanded. We were still running the old MSF5K's and they were failing. Went with a NexEdge system as a replacement.
The MCS2K's were good radios, but at the time it seemed that e-Bay was flooded with them. I had about 50 of them that had to be dealt with. I put a single RX only channel in all of them and sent them off to our materials recovery department. They all ended up getting recycled for the aluminum cases. Kind of a shame, but I had no use for that many of them and it wasn't worth the time to try and sell them. I did manage to dump a few on some of our other sites that were still using SmartNet, though. The XTL's all got repurposed.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
An interesting thread. I have a couple of Spectras sitting at the station, that were removed when we prepared for narrowband.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.