Burleson County - Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

partyguy816

Premium Subscriber
The other day I thought I heard their dispatch call out and ask the deputy if they were on digital or analog. I thought I was hearing things because I wasn't paying attention. Long story short, I was talking to my parents and they asked me if I knew anything about it and proceeded to tell me the same thing mentioned above. Once the deputy responded with "digital", dispatch told them to go to analog. So what's going on over there?

nd5y

The RadioReference database listings are probably obsolete for that county.
According to the FCC license data they have both analog and digital.
One license was issued earlier this year for several new frequencies that are not in the database.
WQXC851 (BURLESON, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details
Somebody needs to figure out what the new frequuencies are used for and submit the information to the database.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
According to the FCC license data they have both analog and digital.

Where in the license data do you determine analog vs. digital? I don't know where that is listed.

What a waste of money for the county. I can hear them up and down 21 already. The unnecessary upgrading of radio systems is one of the most hidden government abuses no one has any idea about. Meanwhile, state and local debt held continues to outpace the federal government.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Tom! I've got it down now. For whatever reason, I never followed a frequency hotlink in the FCC database, and I usually don't download the PDF. I've been missing out. Thanks again for the information.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I thought I heard some P25 transmissions over the last few days. I hope that it doesn't end up like Grimes County and have P25 but almost never use it.

partyguy816

Premium Subscriber
151.1525 & 151.3250 are the two that seems to be the ones that are making all the beeping noise today. Maybe they are just testing stuff or perhaps it's not a functioning channel(s).

partyguy816

Premium Subscriber
They have something going on down there. Listening to dispatch on 155.535 and you will hear two way traffic. If you leave it on "hold" long enough, you'll hear dispatch talk and answer, but you'll never once hear who they are talking to. Strange happenings...

nd5y

They have something going on down there. Listening to dispatch on 155.535 and you will hear two way traffic. If you leave it on "hold" long enough, you'll hear dispatch talk and answer, but you'll never once hear who they are talking to. Strange happenings...
There could be several reasons for that.
What scanner are you using?
What kind of antenna?
Do you have a PL tone programmed?
Do you have a digital scanner?
Dispatch could be analog and mobiles digital. If you have a tone programmed you would not hear the digital transmissions.
Everything could be analog but dispatch could have several channels multiselected and you would not hear anything on the other channels because you are holding on the first one it stopped on.
They could have repeaters with different tones in different areas, and you can only hear the closest one, or only the one with whatever tone you have.
Are there TxWARN or LCRA sites in your area? They could have some operations on those with dispatch patched to VHF but not the mobiles.

Last edited:

partyguy816

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the BCD996XT and BCD996P2. Both are the same as far as what I hear.
Regular base antenna and an external discone antenna that is mounted about 30ft high.
No clue if PL Tone is programmed.
Burleson Co only uses 155.535 for all police matters, so I'm not missing anything by "holding" this freq.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
151.1525 & 151.3250 are the two that seems to be the ones that are making all the beeping noise today. Maybe they are just testing stuff or perhaps it's not a functioning channel(s).

In another, older thread, there was a discussion about them planning on adding additional fire and law enforcement channels, I believe one extra each. From what I understand, the plan fell through after the owner of the land where the new tower sites were supposed to be located changed his mind and declined to go ahead with the plan. I guess they might have found someone else willing to offer their land for the sites.

partyguy816, you probably have the PL activated for 155.535. What you are describing seems to be a lot like what I was hearing prior to realizing what was going on and turning off the PL.

nd5y, there are TXWARN sites in range (North Brazos 1-040 and Bryan 1-021). 1-040 is not active yet as far as I know (too far north for my scanners to pick up). They have used their TXWARN TGs in the past, though they were patched as opposed to actually talking on the system. I don't know if using TXWARN is in the plan, but they do have two law enforcement and two fire channels on there.

TexasRadioMan77

Premium Subscriber
Not sure the reasoning involved behind aggie's comment above, because most of the time the 'wasted money' is because infrastructure was put in place without sufficient planning. Unfortunately, more often than not government agencies simply don't have a resident 'radio guy' that truly understands what it takes to make a system run efficiently so they rely on a third party vendor. Now sometimes that works out well, the vendor designs a good system that will allow public safety to communicate effectively (And let's admit it, that is a HUGE safety concern not only for responders but for the public they serve). Sometimes, that doesn't work out too well because they either listen to a 'trusted advisor' that has no idea how to truly make a system fly, or they latch on to a vendor that just sells them some stuff, claims it will work, and then sells them some more stuff because it doesn't.

Also, north brazos is on the air. the db is wrong. or so I've heard.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Seems the P25 traffic had decreased some over the past day or so. I was listening all day yesterday and didn't hear a single P25 transmission.

svfd455

Feed Provider
Burleson county

As for the 2 new frequencies they are active the just haven't used them. The 155.535 is the Primary LE channel and they are using mixed digi (going to get someone killed because no ones on the same page) and yes they did have a resident programmer and have decided that he doesn't know anything. As for the PL tones are the 141.3 and the 2 new channels are DPL 043 and 032 the NAC code for the digi is 200.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
So what are the new channels for?

Just FYI, some Motorola P25 radios (at least this goes for the XTS5000) have the ability to mix analog and digital signals in one channel. In other words, you can enter both an analog squelch code (PL/DPL) and a NAC code in the same channel. The radio is then able to receive in both modes without the need to change channels. I don't know about transmitting, but this is how it works for RX.

Last edited:

svfd455

Feed Provider
Most of the radios in the county are icoms programmed like that but there are just about as many that don't do p25 vhf. The new channels are 1fd and 1 ems or that's what they are meant for.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Ok. To be clear it's:

151.1525/DPL043...Burleson County FIRE 1
151.3250/DPL032...Burleson County EMS 1

So I take they are going to abandon 154.385?

svfd455

Feed Provider
No we aren't going to abandon 154.385 is Fd 1 .325 is Fd 2 and .1525 is ems. I think the way you have the DPL is right but I don't have my programming sheet on me.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
No we aren't going to abandon 154.385 is Fd 1 .325 is Fd 2 and .1525 is ems. I think the way you have the DPL is right but I don't have my programming sheet on me.

Okay. CORRECTION:

155.5350/PL141.3/NAC200...Burleson County LAW (I guess?)
154.3850/PL141.3...Burleson County FIRE 1
151.1525/DPL043...Burleson County FIRE 2
151.3250/DPL032...Burleson County EMS

Is there any idea as to when these new channels will be implemented?

svfd455

Feed Provider
flip your FD2 and your EMS and they when full implementation is a good question as the new channels aren't in all radios yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.