R5 Tac Frequency Use - Stanislaus NF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I found some information today that shows the 2016 channel plan for the Stanislaus National Forest. It incorporates changes made to the admin net that was the subject of discussion in a thread from 2015. The biggest change is that NIFC Tacs 1-3 have been deleted and R5 Tacs 4-6 have been substituted. In 2014 I first became aware of a directive to eliminate the use of the NIFC cache frequencies for initial attack on locally managed incidents. NIFC cache frequencies are now to be reserved for "national incidents" only, those being managed by Type I or II incident management teams. I'm aware of new tactical frequencies being issued on a Geographical Area Coordination Center (GACC) basis, with three being the common assignment, although in some areas the BLM and USFS have pooled their frequency assignments to come up with statewide sets of up to 7 frequencies. This is done on a statewide basis as that is how the BLM is organized, their state offices are the BLM's equivalent to Forest Service regional offices.

2015 channel plans showed that R5 National Forests dropped the use of NIFC Tacs 1 and 3 for initial attack, but some retained the use of NIFC Tac 2, which was formerly known as "'Crew Net." The changes made by the Stanislaus NF bring the forest into compliance with national direction. I suspect that in the next couple of years other forests in R5 will follow suit and remove the NIFC frequencies from the initial attack groups in their radios.

I changed the Wiki page for the Stanislaus to reflect the change. I will change pages for other National Forests in R5 as soon as I gain access to this year's information, assuming I'm able to. If your radios don't have the R5 tacs in them you should include them. If you aren't hearing any initial attack tactical communications on the NIFC cache frequencies make sure to check out the three R5 frequencies.

f40ph

Feed Provider
R5 tac 6 is being introduced this year in the BDF "initial attack radio group". It might be "4th choice" after the 3 NIFC tacs, unconfirmed as yet.

SCPD

QRT
Based on the national direction and the actions of other National Forests, not only in California, but in the rest of the nation, I would think the use of the NIFC tacs would not be the first choice in 2016. The channel plans of some other National Forests in California include groups where all six NIFC tacs are included, but these are groups designed for use on national incidents. I've been noticing a complete switchover to the R5 tacs on the channel plans of a couple or more NF's in R5.

The trouble with R5 is that quite often national incidents run out of tacticals and R5 tacs have been utilized for extended attack. R5 was the first region with its own tacticals, but their primary use has been observed to be on national incidents, while leaving the NIFC tacs, especially Tac 2, for initial attack. It seems like NIFC needs more national tactical frequencies. Maybe they will use more of the NIFOG mutual aid frequencies in the future. The use of the NIFOG command frequencies is fairly common now so it makes sense the tacs would be utilized as well.

jbaker6953

Based on the national direction and the actions of other National Forests, not only in California, but in the rest of the nation, I would think the use of the NIFC tacs would not be the first choice in 2016.

The Angeles NF just received a new radio update a few weeks ago to coincide with the changeover to the new admin net and not one of the 400 channels is an R5 tactical frequency. Every tactical channel in the radio is still NIFC 1, 2, and 3. :/

f40ph

Feed Provider
Wow, that's amazing. I thought the ANF would at least have to have the R5s buried somewhere in their load.

SCPD

QRT
The Angeles NF just received a new radio update a few weeks ago to coincide with the changeover to the new admin net and not one of the 400 channels is an R5 tactical frequency. Every tactical channel in the radio is still NIFC 1, 2, and 3. :/

That is interesting considering this memo:

To: All Geographic Center Managers and Aviation Dispatchers.

Subject: NIFC/NIRSC Tactical Frequencies

Date: March 3, 2015

Issue Limited Radio Frequencies: The National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC), National Interagency Incident Communications Division (NIICD), Communications Duty Officer (CDO) is having issues with the assigned tactical frequencies, which are a limited resource. The National Incident Radio Cache (NIRSC) is assigned 6 tactical frequencies for wild land firefighting and all-risk incident support. The use of these frequencies must be coordinated with the NIFC/CDO prior to any assigned use.

DISCUSSION: There seems to be a trend for individual forests assigning the NIFC/NIRSC tactical frequencies for day to day use or to support IA/EA incident’s without prior coordination with the NIFC/CDO. This causes issues when there are project fires in the same close proximity. There have been cases when an Incident Management Team (IMT) has been told by a local forest that they cannot use the NIFC assigned tactical frequencies because the local forest is using them for IA/EA. This practice must stop.

The Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Operations, Chapter 15, Page 15-5 states:
“National Interagency Fire Tactical Frequencies (168.0500 MHz, 168.200 1 MHz, 168.6000 MHz, 168.2500 MHz, 166.7250 MHz, 166.7750 MHz)
These frequencies are used to support ground tactical operations (line of sight) on incidents.
They are not authorized for:
• Air to air communications;
• Air to ground communications;
• Mobile radios with more than 5 watts output power;
• Base stations; or
• Repeater frequencies.

Use of these frequencies will be coordinated between the COML and the NIFC CDO/COMC.

Also the National Interagency Mobilization Guide, 2014, Chapter 20, page 29 states:
“Any of the national frequencies (FS or DOI) are not to be used without prior coordination with the NIRSC CDO”

For those of you not familiar with the acronyms the CDO is the "Communications Duty Officer" at NIFC (National Interagency Fire Center), the nationwide dispatch, coordination and training center for wildland firefighting. The memo means that use of any of the six tactical frequencies in the National Incident Radio Support Cache (NIRSC) must have prior clearance from the CDO for each use, case by case. So the authority to use these frequencies is not held by the dispatch center or the Geographical Area Coordination Center (GACC), but at the highest level of authority in communications at NIFC. In California there are two, North Ops and South Ops. There is no blanket approval for their use or authority delegated to a lower level.

I first got wind of this 2-3 years ago when I came across a memo issued by the Southwest GACC regarding the assignment of three regional tacticals for the National Forests in Arizona and New Mexico. That memo outlined that the NIFC/NIRSC tacticals would not be allowed on any local initial attack, period. The three new regional tacticals were to be used for all initial attacks and the NIFC tacs were to be used on nationally managed incidents only, that is, incidents with a Type I or Type II incident commander in charge. The grey area in my mind is if extended attacks with local Type III incident commanders can use the NIFC frequencies, both tactical and command. I suppose they could, but on a case by case basis subject to the approval of the NIFC CDO.

BLM state offices have been issued tactical frequencies for more than 10 years now that are more or less unique to each state office. I know the Forest Service has issued 3 tactical frequencies in Region 3 (Southwestern), Region 4 (Intermountain) and Region 5 (most of California). In Region 6 (Pacific Northwest) and Region 2 (Rocky Mountain) there are one to two tactical frequencies assigned to each National Forest. In Region 8 (Southern) there is one region wide frequency for tactical use on initial attack, which given how far National Forests are from each other in that area of the country might be sufficient. I'm not sure of Region 1 (Northern - N. Idaho, Montana, N. Dakota) as I've not been able to get info from there for more than 3 years. Region 9 (Eastern) is a place I get little info from. Lastly, Region 10 (Alaska) does not have large fire load as those forests are temperate rain forests and glaciers so they don't have much of a need. As one firefighter from the Tongass National Forest related, "a fire is one tree, a large fire is two trees."

It will be interesting to see the channel plans in Region 5 for 2016, but 2015 saw many forests dropping the NIFC tacs from their initial attack channel groups and only having them in their large incident groups. NIFC Tac 2 was an exception. I think Region 5 was the first to have a separate tactical channel from Forest Nets and when I first got wind of it back in the early 70's it was called "R5 Crew Net." There have been more than one memo telling everyone to stop calling it "Crew Net," but the practice has not been dropped by R5 National Forests as recently as 2015. For some reason many National Forests have kept NIFC Tac 2 in their initial attack groups, perhaps the region still feels some ownership of it.

It surprises me that despite most National Forests in R5 substituting the R5 Tacs for NIFC Tacs in their initial attack frequency groups that the Angeles is not doing so at all. During my time on southern California fires in the 80's and 90's, quite a few where you could be on the Angeles and see additional large fires on the Los Padres, San Bernardino and the Cleveland when you got up to a high point, interference between nationally managed fires was common. It was bad enough having interference from illegal radio use in Mexico come booming in with God know how many hundreds of watts, but when Division A on the Angeles was called by a crew on one or more fires on other National Forests things could get confusing. There were some real safety problems as a result. We could hear tactical traffic from the Ojai RD on the LP, all the way to the Palomar RD on the Cleveland. NIFC Tac 2 was like being in a truck stop and listening to a CB Channel 19 given how much people were talking over each other.

Now mix in initial attack to that and it can be a real mess. Have the ANF radio techs gotten the memos?

SCPD

QRT

I just got a very quick look at the 2016 channel group plan for the Angeles. You are correct, none of the groups in the fire management radios have the regional tacticals. There is one group in the recreation radios that have all three R5 tacticals. I think the group title was "NIFC 1" or some such. I hope I can get more than a quick stare at the R5 Frequency Guide this year to see if more forests around the region are switching to the R5 tacs. I know that in some other FS regions the switch was completed at least 2-3 years ago.

Norman

The ENF just had a fire dispatch and told responding units to use R5, Tac 5. Tac 4 was also available if needed.

SCPD

QRT
The ENF just had a fire dispatch and told responding units to use R5, Tac 5. Tac 4 was also available if needed.

Just to verify, R5 Tac 4 was available if needed? I want to make sure NIFC Tac 4 was not being mentioned, which currently, does not exist as the widespread authorization for NIFC Tac 4 was withdrawn a number of years ago.

SCPD

QRT
I guarantee they were referring to R5 tac 4.

I was 99% sure that was the case. I read a document from earlier this spring that there were 6 NIFC tacticals. However, things can change and the replacement of Tac 4 might come at some point in the future. It would seem that one of the biggest needs for the NIFC cache is more tactical frequencies. I've been on fires where all 7 (when there was still a Tac 4) tacs were used and most more than once. In spite of trying to use topography to eliminate interference, we still had divisions interfering with each other. Mix in multiple incidents in the same area and problems arise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.