NMSP listing errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
It appears from casual observation that the State Police section of the database is somewhat fubar.

Its listed as repeaters (the districts) but it appears they are duplex setup (the mobiles do not repeat, aka New York style where you need to listen to both freqs to hear what is going on http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=615 ).

If this is correct, I'll change the listings so that those with DB aware scanners will hear both sides of the conversations. In ABQ now, and that seems to be the setup, unless the DB is really messed up with incorrect information.

As much as it only appears that only a handful freq's are reused around the state, I am inclined to separate out all the districts and add in correct GPS range information and note each county that the district operates in.

If anyone has an accurate list of what is used where, please PM me. When its all restructured, it should be more user friendly and read a bit nicer.

Any further information on an accurate line up and how its used would be great.

SCPD

QRT
I moved from New Mexico quite some time ago, but as far as I know the State Police radio system works the same as when I was there. There are microwave linked remote bases all over the state with a base frequency and a mobile frequency and very few repeaters. If I remember correctly there was a repeater near Santa Fe when I was there. The last time I looked at the licenses for the state it seems as though this is pretty much the same. This is similar to the CHP in California, however, while I lived there the mobile was not patched through to the base anywhere in the state.

The Wiki article for agency has a map that is incorrect. It shows "radio influence zones" that cross district lines. I don't know what an "influence zone" is, but each district has its own base and mobile pair and the use of those frequencies follows the same lines as the district boundary. I"ve PMed with the guy who developed the map and he is not a New Mexico resident. His reply is that the data shows his map to be accurate and I can't understand his thinking. I listened to the system all over the state while traveling and living there and it doesn't work the way he presents.

Pairs are used for more than one district as long as distance and topography allow. I'm not aware of any tone squelch being used to reduce interference between districts that share frequency pairs. I hope this helps.

P.S. New Mexico Game and Fish works the same way, there is one base frequency and one mobile frequency in VHF Low and you have to listen to both to hear the entire conversation. The NMDOT radio system works the same way. State forestry does not use two frequencies, but works simplex into the dozens of remote bases around the state.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
It appears from casual observation that the State Police section of the database is somewhat fubar.

Its listed as repeaters (the districts) but it appears they are duplex setup (the mobiles do not repeat, aka New York style where you need to listen to both freqs to hear what is going on NY State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference ).

If this is correct, I'll change the listings so that those with DB aware scanners will hear both sides of the conversations. In ABQ now, and that seems to be the setup, unless the DB is really messed up with incorrect information.

Yep, that's about the size of it. I've programmed what's listed as the "Input" so that I can hear both sides. It works, but it sucks. Especially when the field unit is more than about 25ish miles away.

There was one time when I was up near Raton where I could hear both sides on 155.565. It was probably a year ago that happened and it was only that one time. I was in that area this past weekend and needed both freqs to hear the full conversation.

Also, it might be helpful to list each District separately instead of grouped like they are now.

Perhaps sometime this century they'll adopt repeaters. :p

PJH

Premium Subscriber
In planning on listing each district as its own, in line how most other states are. Using a gps uniden it's rather annoying. As far as NM, it doesn't help that they appear to use the same 3-4 channels in the state.

It also appears that there are different input (mobile) PL(s) in the ABQ area but I wasn't around long enough to figure it out, it if they used different PL per district. Raton was setup the same as the rest of the state - at least for the short time I was there today.

Look for changes to start tomorrow as time permits.

nd5y

Are you visiting Carlsbad any time soon? It appears the city has a 800 MHz trunked system licensed for years that isn't in the database.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
MNSP has been mostly updated and should be pushed to the next DB update for Uniden users (I don't know how the others update from the DB).

Those with scanner that automatically search for tones, please make note of which and where (district, location) they are being heard. I know in the ABQ area, something other than 127 is used, so please make a note if more than one is being used.

Since districts can cover several counties, they may overlap with the GPS circles of other districts. There isn't much I can do about that to cover the intended areas.

Please see how the database works and performs for you. Its pretty much the same as other states and the format will likely remain as is, just the data needs to be confirmed.

I will also be moving some of the statewide stuff into the statewide mutual aid sections as required and straighten that out as well.

Also please let me know that what is in the database is accurate. There were some things I heard that didn't sound right to the descriptions, such as the regional mutual aid repeaters in the NMSP category. Are these NMSP, regional specific to another agency(s) or....

In addition, the NMSP Mounted patrol is showing multiple locations in the state which looks like regional repeaters than a mounted patrol exclusive function. Much of the information looks suspect, but I am not local that often to do my research.

Thanks

nd5y

There were some things I heard that didn't sound right to the descriptions, such as the regional mutual aid repeaters in the NMSP category. Are these NMSP, regional specific to another agency(s) or....

Over 30 years ago when I lived in El Paso there was a 154.800 mutual aid repeater on a mountain near Deming. If I remember right it was used as a point to point channel for the dispatchers in the SW part of the state. There is still a FCC license with the same callsign they used back then, KLD827 (NEW MEXICO, STATE OF) FCC Callsign Details. I think they had similar repeaters in other parts of the state. I don't know if they still do.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The NMSP page looks so much cleaner. Thanks PJH!

As far as the PL tones for D5 (ABQ), I've only ever seen 127.3 used for both base and mobile.

SCPD

QRT
The district channels all use 127.3 for base and mobile. Minus local district channels some areas have up north in the more dense areas or areas where state runs policing fpr small towns and such. Up north you have district district and district local. Only a couple or three use local district while everyone else runs on district in/out. You can wait and confirm but it is how it has been the last 20 years. Since everyone merged into state police, SAR, MTD, special in etc they will be trying to reorganize things down road. SAR itself has 3 vhf frequencies and a couple uhf. MP is reserve and in most areas hardly use the mounted patrol channel unless it's at a event or such it varies in the districts your in In how they are setup. Keep in mind since MP can be called upon from any agency they will be loaned a portable from any sheriffs office, city pd, or use a loaned uhf vrs state portable. Most do have personal bought vhf portables but depending on the event they are called to aide with they can literally be anywhere. If they ride along with a state unit or 2 troopers to a marked state unit they will still have a loaned uhf vrs fpr the car. If they are at a event and no special radio is needed they will have a self bought vhf radio with the interops and primary county channels in the district they volunteer in. Why some do not hear anything at all on MP but it can be used if brass for the district decides today we will be on MP or vlaw32.

Edit to add additional the display in car itself just gives districts. As you noticed the same pairs are used flip flopped across the state districts in a pattern to minimize interference crossing. Always been this way. The radio and mdt in car as well as the units having the satellite dispatch cad are all tied into the computer from the trunk deck where the radio bricks and computer brick sits on a tray. To the unit and console everything is seamless. State units also have a additional radio 110 watt with heads for the districts they reside or cross into nearby with primary channels of those cities and county departments as well as the nationwide interop vhf setups. One important part of this setup is the uhf portable. It is tied into the deck extender which relays the scan lists of both radios onto the portable depending on what radio the officer has as it varies with the uhf portables he is limited to a 16 scan member list or higher on some newer portbales and mobiles. Depending on what portable is used steering can be done from the portable to deck and priority channel picked and keyed on to scan list shut off etc and both ends of the conversation are heard on district extending on the portable which has priority over the radio to key in if needed. Back in the day you would hear dispatch repeat what came in over the input as many didn't hear the input just district. Now with things tied into the computer it is all seamless. It is all still microwave linked but on digital microwave links. Eventually they plan a p25 conventional voice on vhf and 700. But it has been stalled with money and build out issues for 700 which the department t of information technology rolled it under a first net data LTE category with funding. Why nobody really heard much of it.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Are you visiting Carlsbad any time soon? It appears the city has a 800 MHz trunked system licensed for years that isn't in the database.

That system was limited use at best. It had a couple special talkgroups for pd and Fd and city services but it never really gone anywhere back then. They got it back when Lea first got edacs on 800 and Lea county was pushing others next to it to join a regional 800 NM had proposed way back. It was pretty well mapped and designed but it never went anywhere for a state wide 800. Due to money they stayed vhf and when the state said no go on a state wide trs. That was back in the mid to late 90s. As for now they still use a mix of old and new vhf equipment.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
When I was in ABQ, I programmed in 127 for the PL on the car side - would not decode. When I dropped it back into monitor, I would get voice traffic. This was on the east side of town.

Everywhere else, 127 seemed to work. Hence my question on that (I am unsure if SP is split up a tad more in the metro area or not, but that's what I came across).

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Also can we confirm that NMDOT works the same way (separate car/base, no repeaters) before I tackle that one?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Also can we confirm that NMDOT works the same way (separate car/base, no repeaters) before I tackle that one?

I don't believe so, as what little listening I've done (TMC, District 3, District 6) I've always been able to hear both sides of the conversation on the same freq.

I only monitor TMC these days and I'm certain they're simplex, so their entry is correct.

SCPD

QRT
During work related duties I ran into a IT for the state. The radios are same in the vehicles for the highway department as NMSP uses minus the other items. 110 watt XTL 5000s or 2500s. He said they have 4 zones in the highway department units. Zone 1 being statewide channels that are duplexed and microwave linked for state wide linking and communication. Zone 2 is repeated district channels that do not relay across the state. Zone 3 is simplex car to car/mobile to mobile. Zone 4 is the nmsp duplex microwaved. He said state police does have some repeaters for non microwaved use in some districts on hill tops just the transmit pl is different on the input. The repeaters for local districts for both can be turned off or on depending on if they are needed and what's going on. He said CYFD and other entities also have 110 watt units that are similiar setup. A zone with the non repeated microwaved duplex. A zone with repeated called local district. And a simplex car to car zone. Then may have another agencies duplex in the last zone or two depending on who it is.

SCPD

QRT

New APX 4000 portables and APX mobiles being rolled out now for Carlsbad. The plan is to go eventually to a phase 2 trunking for carlsbad that is secured as Hobbs chose to do. Just fyi.

Status
Not open for further replies.