How to get on ARMER

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh555

Premium Subscriber
Hi Im looking for a good way to get on armer that is relatively cheap if possible. i have been listening to Hennepin county fire dispatch for a while using my BaoFeng UV-5r+ for a while (on 154.385) but i want to be able to listen to other stuff. thanks! -Josh

By the way, this is my first post here.

stmills

Besides getting a digital scanner, you can also get inexpensive USB receiver sticks and run a pc based program. I got my setup running with a dedicated Winbook tablet for under $100.

blue5011

Besides getting a digital scanner, you can also get inexpensive USB receiver sticks and run a pc based program. I got my setup running with a dedicated Winbook tablet for under $100.

I have been using Uniden 996XT scanners for recieving ARMER. Now I picked up a cheapo USB dongle and am attempting that route. Have tried using SDRSharp, can see the signal in the waterfall but am not hearing any "legible" audio. All I am getting is static.

Is there a recommended site to find out more about USB SDR tuners that you used? The SDRSharp startup site was little more than a page or two, just not enough posted there to help me.

Another Ham Op and I have the same setup, both of us are trying to tackle this at the same time. I looked at the forum on RR about SDR and was not able to garner much. Maybe I am not asking the right questions...

SCPD

QRT
Hi Im looking for a good way to get on armer that is relatively cheap if possible. i have been listening to Hennepin county fire dispatch for a while using my BaoFeng UV-5r+ for a while (on 154.385) but i want to be able to listen to other stuff. thanks! -Josh

By the way, this is my first post here.

Well, if you want to get on armer, become a cop or a firefighter :) just kidding and welcome to this site. There are many digital scanner models out there and are new ones coming. Depending on your budget pick one up. You can even import systems and talkgroups right here via the RadioReference database as a paid supporter (which is so worth it). You will get lot's of help from this forum so feel free to ask questions. Armer is a fantastic statewide system but in the metro area it's great for interop between agencies.

josh555

Premium Subscriber

Where can I purchase one of these usb things?

Also thanks everyone for the replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is it even worth getting my own rig if I can use JohnMoe's scanner?

If this site has everything you wish to monitor, not really. However if you want to monitor areas that his site is unable to receive (St. Cloud, Hennepin west may be "iffy" for him) because you are closer to those areas than he is, or talkgroups he hasn't enabled, then you might wish to get your own rig.

By no means am I being critical of John Moe's site - it is far and away the very best such thing I've ever seen. Rather, he's subject to the same laws of reception as everyone else and his reach is limited by the laws of RF reception.

blue5011

stmills

The link I posted is for based around older versions of DSDPlus and Unitrunker. I believe the setup is still the exact same for DSDPLUS, for Unitrunker you can now have 3 vfos per stick- you can choose what each vfo is- control channel feed or voice channel, however if the systems you monitor use frequencies spread out across the entire 800 band you will need 2 sticks- example : Hennepin 2-001 uses CC of 852.3625-but the system uses channels up to the 860's- with the CC in the 852s the bandwidth does not allow for picking up all the way to the 860's.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I have not had good luck with the USB sticks in the Metro. The simulcast issues have been too much to overcome without an extensive amount of trial and error. I have had better luck in hibbing where simulcast isn't as much an issue. I would be concerned that directing a new user to the USB sticks could lead to frustration and them getting out of the hobby before even getting started. My opinion is that a better route would be to get a used scanner on ebay or a local member who's willing to sell one. That will be a lot easier for a new user to get up and running.

stmills

As with all scanning on ARMER not using an affiliating radio results between users will vary. I recommend people try USB stick scanning since I receive better reception with my USB sticks than with my Uniden 396T.

anthonymodrow

As with all scanning on ARMER not using an affiliating radio results between users will vary. I recommend people try USB stick scanning since I receive better reception with my USB sticks than with my Uniden 396T.
With stock antennas or improvements?

Sent via Tapatalk on Note 4

stmills

I tried an assortment of antennas- most for handhelds, my current setup on my SDR is a a piece of 75 ohm coax cut to a quarter wavelength on each one. My backup for picking up towers outside my normal range is an amplified set top tv antenna- works great.

anthonymodrow

I tried an assortment of antennas- most for handhelds, my current setup on my SDR is a a piece of 75 ohm coax cut to a quarter wavelength on each one. My backup for picking up towers outside my normal range is an amplified set top tv antenna- works great.
**** i would pay for help haha

Sent via Tapatalk on Note 4

Status
Not open for further replies.