• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Good and Affordable GMRS with License Radio Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrod

Hello,

Just got my GMRS license and looking into be able to communicate at a big distance with repeaters and wanted to know what the hive approves as good and affordable for starters. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for portable, mobile and bases.

Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is your budget?
There's all kinds of options, but it really comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

I know you posted this in the "budget and entry level transceivers", but some dollar numbers will help.

Back when I was active on GMRS, I used Icom F-4 portables, Icom F-420, Icom F-2020 and Icom F-221's as mobiles For base use, I used an Icom F-420s with a 12v power supply.
Those are older radios now, but you can pick them up rather inexpensively on e-Bay.
Older Kenwood's are a good option, and some Motorola's are suitable, but you have to know what you are buying. Not just any UHF radio will do what you need.

For "big distance" you need to pay close attention to antennas. You can spend $8000 on the latest Motorola multi band hand held radio, but if you have crap for an antenna it's not going to work any better than the $12 Wal*Mart FRS radio.
For base use, it's not only antenna, but antenna height and coax cable.

As for repeaters, make sure you have access to one before spending a bunch of money. Repeaters on GMRS are considered private property and you need to have permission from the owner before using them. Many GMRS repeaters are "open", but it's always a good idea to check, first.

Another thing to consider:
GMRS is great for many uses, however it has the nasty habit of being a "gateway" to other radio services. After a while you'll realize how useful it is having good radios. You'll realize how nice it is having access to wide area repeaters. Then you want more. And more. And more....
A lot of people start off in GMRS and then branch off into amateur radio. A number of GMRS capable commercial radios will cover into the 70cm amateur radio band pretty well. This can be handy as you progress and maybe get an amateur license. Doesn't hurt to keep that in mind as you are starting.

Good luck, and welcome to the club.

gabrod

Thank you for the reply, very informative! I am starting on GMRS while I study for the Ham and like you said I have been in contact with a couple of owners of some repeaters nearby and they are very nice and said that as long as I have my call sign (which I just got) it shouldn't be a problem. I noticed that some good amateur radios are around 150 like the yaesu so my price range is around that. Would it be ok to use a Kenwood t281 for mobile for GMRS? thank you.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would it be ok to use a Kenwood t281 for mobile for GMRS? thank you.

No. Two reasons:
1. The Kenwood TM-281 is a VHF amateur transceiver. It won't transmit or receive on UHF, where GMRS is.
2. GMRS radio require FCC type certification for the service they are used on. Amateurs radios do not have type certification on their transmitters and can only be legally used to transmit inside the bounds of the amateur radio bands. For GMRS use, the FCC rules require type certification for Part 95A, the section of the rules that apply to GMRS. That limits what radios you can legally use. Even though some amateur radios can be hacked/modified to make them transmit outside the amateur radio bands, this isn't legal and would ultimately put not only your GMRS license but also your amateur license at risk.

Nice thing is you can purchase a suitable GMRS UHF mobile and legally program them to work inside the amateur radio bands. That's what a lot of GMRS/Amateur radio operators do, and it's perfectly legal.

gabrod

No. Two reasons:
1. The Kenwood TM-281 is a VHF amateur transceiver. It won't transmit or receive on UHF, where GMRS is.
2. GMRS radio require FCC type certification for the service they are used on. Amateurs radios do not have type certification on their transmitters and can only be legally used to transmit inside the bounds of the amateur radio bands. For GMRS use, the FCC rules require type certification for Part 95A, the section of the rules that apply to GMRS. That limits what radios you can legally use. Even though some amateur radios can be hacked/modified to make them transmit outside the amateur radio bands, this isn't legal and would ultimately put not only your GMRS license but also your amateur license at risk.

Nice thing is you can purchase a suitable GMRS UHF mobile and legally program them to work inside the amateur radio bands. That's what a lot of GMRS/Amateur radio operators do, and it's perfectly legal.

Ah man thank you again, but looking around, those GMRS radios are so not good looking, where can I find something nice :) thanks again

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Define nice.

F221 is a pretty nice, modern radio design (even if it is a decade old). I ran the S model (8 channel) for a year before upgrading to the regular, full display. There are new Kenwood rigs that are typed but they'll set you back about $350.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

gabrod

Define nice.

F221 is a pretty nice, modern radio design (even if it is a decade old). I ran the S model (8 channel) for a year before upgrading to the regular, full display. There are new Kenwood rigs that are typed but they'll set you back about $350.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

You see, this is a nice one you recommended and they have it on ebay new for 175 and besides GMRS I can monitor local police and Fire and possible ham? (for when I pass the test). Can I get one of this as a "base" for the house and another as a "mobile"?

Is there something nice like this for portables?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You see, this is a nice one you recommended and they have it on ebay new for 175 and besides GMRS I can monitor local police and Fire and possible ham? (for when I pass the test). Can I get one of this as a "base" for the house and another as a "mobile"?

Is there something nice like this for portables?

For a base radio, you just add a 12 volt power supply capable of 15 amps or more.
You can purchase a power supply and mount the radio on top. There are companies that make a case that has the power supply built in and a slot for the radio.

As for portables, just look at the newer Icom portables. Two-Way Radios - 2-Way Radios - Radios for amateur, avionics, land mobile and marine use

Status
Not open for further replies.