Finding DMR Frequencies in Your Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I created a spreadsheet over the past few days that can help you find undocumented DMR frequencies in your area. This first spreadsheet consists of all Fixed base frequencies with Emission 7K60FXE in the FCC Private Land Mobile Database. I'll add one, hopefully later today, for those in the Commercial Land Mobile Database. Tried to make it a Google Sheet, but it exceeded their 2,000,000 cell limit. :lol:

EM_Private_Query.zip

See the instructions at the top of the sheet. Warning: HUGE SHEET! Do not try to sort the columns, as it will just lock up Excel. Instead, use the Filter as I describe.

At my current location, there are nearly 1000 DMR licensed frequencies meeting the above criteria within a 20 mile range.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Pretty nice. Thanks Upman. Also thank you and the rest of the folks at Uniden for the DMR upgrade. I'll soon have the ability to carry 1 scanner instead of 4 radios. Right now I'm listening to 1 CS700, 1 EVX-354, and 1 Md-380, scanning 32 channels each. Also using a CS750 to monitor for new DMR use in my area.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I just updated the file (same link) to add Commercial Private Land Mobile (it is an additional Excel file in the zip). I also added a cell that would show you how many frequencies are found using the location/range set. Note that it counts all frequencies, including duplicates. But, it makes it easier to see whether your criteria resulted in 0 hits...which isn't very useful results. :)

SCPD

QRT
Quite a bit of data there. That might keep me scratching my head until the software release.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Must be nice to (a) be able to access the entire licensing database (Canada's got screwed up when they "upgraded" the web interface) and (2) have a licensing database where the emissions designations have half a hope in hell of being correct.

I still managed to make a small file for my little chunk of the world...

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I created a spreadsheet over the past few days that can help you find undocumented DMR frequencies in your area. This first spreadsheet consists of all Fixed base frequencies with Emission 7K60FXE in the FCC Private Land Mobile Database. I'll add one, hopefully later today, for those in the Commercial Land Mobile Database. Tried to make it a Google Sheet, but it exceeded their 2,000,000 cell limit. :lol:

EM_Private_Query.zip

See the instructions at the top of the sheet. Warning: HUGE SHEET! Do not try to sort the columns, as it will just lock up Excel. Instead, use the Filter as I describe.

At my current location, there are nearly 1000 DMR licensed frequencies meeting the above criteria within a 20 mile range.

You're not joking about a big file. It is still loading been 5 mints. Looks like it opens in Open Office which I have already :)

K4EET

Chaplain
How long before it loads? I've been waiting for ahour nothing happen.

An hour? :eek: Something seems to be amiss... Are you talking about the file loading into Excel? What version Excel do you have and what type of computer (processor, speed, RAM, etc.)?

73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
UPMan,

There seems to be an argument error in your EM_Commercial_Query spreadsheet. In cell "F8" for example, your computer's hard drive is referenced. See image below. I changed the range to 15 miles to get the #REF error.

The other spreadsheet for private licensees works great!

73, Dave K4EET

EM_Commercial_Query_Argument_Error.jpg

Last edited:

Jake68111

Question regarding the ZIP file.........

Can anyone elaborate on what the line that says, "Copy/paste these freqs to Results page, select them all and "Remove Duplicates." means?

Is this "Results page" not included in the zip?

Also, would I enter these freqs into Sentinel (when the time is right, of course) in a custom search? Would that be just copy/paste?

Sorry for the very NOOB question but I don't know one thing about Excel.

K4EET

Chaplain
Question regarding the ZIP file. <snip> Sorry for the very NOOB question but I don't know one thing about Excel.

Before I (or we) answer your main question, a few things first to make sure we are at the same point. I gather you have successfully unzipped both files. In the EM_Private_Query spreadsheet, first you need to press the "Enable Editing" button to get the spreadsheet out of Protected View. Then in cell "F7" where it says "Try" there is a little down-arrow on the right side of the cell. Press the down-arrow once. You will see a list of Frequencies that are all checked. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and you will see that "(Blanks)" is also checked. Uncheck that box and press OK. Now using the Coordinates that UPMan's spreadsheet came with, change the search area to 1 mile (to limit the results to 13) and press the Enter key on the keyboard. Did you get 13 results? If you did, then continue. If not, go back and see where you went wrong...

Now to answer your question. Left-click in the first cell that a Frequency result appears and hold down the button. Drag the cursor down 13 cells to select all of the results and let go of the left mouse button. Now right-click on the 13 highlighted cells and select Copy. At the bottom of the spreadsheet, left-click on the "Sheet 1" which is what UPMan (Paul) calls the Results Page. Column A will already have a previous query in it. Left-click the "B" at the heading of Column B and the whole column should highlight. Now right-click in the highlighted area and paste the 13 frequencies from the first page that you copied. Be sure to select the correct paste function that allows you to see frequencies in Column B. In Excel 2013, it will be the second paste choice. Now (in Excel 2013 anyway) left-click Home > Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Duplicate Values. Then select the function to highlight duplicated values (or however you want to annotate your list to find unique frequencies).

The reason for the long drawn-out steps of removing duplicate values is to eliminate dupes to narrow down the list even further; in the above case, to 12 frequencies.

Let us know how you make out...

73, Dave K4EET

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Updated to fix the bad formula linking to my HD. Also added the Results tab on one sheet and renamed the tab to Results on the other.

Still the same d/l link.

K4EET

Chaplain
Updated to fix the bad formula linking to my HD. Also added the Results tab on one sheet and renamed the tab to Results on the other.

Still the same d/l link.

Paul,

Thanks for the fix and especially for taking the time to put together these spreadsheets! Makes searching for potential active frequencies much faster. I hope my long dissertation on using Excel to get started then to place the resulting data on the Results tab and remove duplicates was close enough to help those not familiar with Excel...

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
An hour? :eek: Something seems to be amiss... Are you talking about the file loading into Excel? What version Excel do you have and what type of computer (processor, speed, RAM, etc.)?

73, Dave K4EET

It seems to be working now.

Jake68111

Thanks Dave for the small tut! Unfortunately, I won't be able to mess with it till Monday or Tuesday but I will definitely post back of my learnings. 12 hour shifts are for the birds, but a bird I must be.

Thanks again!

nd5y

The file automatic opens in Open Office but sits there doesn't open.
Sometimes LibreOffice/OpenOffice can't handle certain MS Office files.
I tried with LibreOffice 5.1.3 64-bit and it choked and started using up all the memory. I had to kill it.

K4EET

Chaplain
Sometimes LibreOffice/OpenOffice can't handle certain MS Office files.
I tried with LibreOffice 5.1.3 64-bit and it choked and started using up all the memory. I had to kill it.

OpenOffice Calc (v)4.1.2 chokes trying to open the Private data file which is huge in size and has cell errors on the Commercial data file when opened. Therefore, OpenOffice Calc (v)4.1.2 cannot be used to obtain data from either file.

73, Dave K4EET

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, spent way too much time this weekend fixing location data. On my first pull, if a lookup failed for site location, a bad location (instead of no location) was going in. Now, you'll see a bunch of listings with the location "0,0". These are mostly Mobile freqs where the location is not given in the FCC database. For the most part, they are duplicates of a Fixed Base frequency.

Working on this hampered by the huge FCC dataset (nearly 1.5 million rows of data) requiring a lot of 8-core processing time on every attempt...but I think success, at last.

Anyway, both sheets are updated. Delete the old ones (if you ever got them to load).

EM_Private is still quite large and may require serious memory and CPU to open in any reasonable amount of time.

K4EET

Chaplain
Ok, spent way too much time this weekend fixing location data. On my first pull, if a lookup failed for site location, a bad location (instead of no location) was going in. Now, you'll see a bunch of listings with the location "0,0". These are mostly Mobile freqs where the location is not given in the FCC database. For the most part, they are duplicates of a Fixed Base frequency.

Working on this hampered by the huge FCC dataset (nearly 1.5 million rows of data) requiring a lot of 8-core processing time on every attempt...but I think success, at last.

Anyway, both sheets are updated. Delete the old ones (if you ever got them to load).

EM_Private is still quite large and may require serious memory and CPU to open in any reasonable amount of time.

Thank you very much for your time and efforts! They are not in vain because I for one am one that is using the spreadsheets. Thanks again, Paul!

73, Davve Hamm K4EET

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is what I used to create the Favorites List I used to make the video I posted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.