Trx 1 and 2 first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Met Wendy and peers at hamvention today. I had brief hands on with both the new handheld and mobile. I listened to them monitoring a local dmr system. They seemed to do so quite well. If I understand Wendy correctly the radios are in shipping transit to dealers.

Overall, the units seem to work as advertised. Be excited. I hope to upload pics when back at hotel.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Pics from Whistler Booth@Hamvention

Staff and TRX 1 and 2. Hamvention 2016. If I understood Wendy correctly the rear of the handheld will have some type of color panel that is
changeable.

Attachments

• 20160520_143146_resized.jpg
    20160520_143146_resized.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5,172
  • 20160520_143205_resized.jpg
    20160520_143205_resized.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4,300
  • 20160520_143355_resized.jpg
    20160520_143355_resized.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,752

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Trx 1 and Trx 2 first Impressions

Nice pictures. Thanks for the effort. Nice to see who we're dealing with and talking to when we contact Whistler too. The screen is one of the reasons I chose the Whistler over the Uniden. To me it's much easier to read. Thanks to Whistler for giving us an upgrade to DMR for the WS1080/88 and WS1095/98 owners. New Scanners are always welcome. I still remember the days of 4 crystal slots and a pair of tweezers with the Radio Shack hand held.

Nasby

Great pics!! Thanks for posting them.

I like the interchangeable back colors.

Boatanchor

Nice to see the new models and Whistler Wendy. Great to put a face to the name/posts 😉

Boatanchor

Wendy, can you provide more info on the front end/filtering improvements on these new models?

All of my DMR monitoring is on VHF and all done with external base/mobile antennas.
Currently, my 'WS' models suffer from moderate to severe FM broadcast interference on this band.
Are the new models going to be any better?

Thanks.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Wendy, can you provide more info on the front end/filtering improvements on these new models?

All of my DMR monitoring is on VHF and all done with external base/mobile antennas.
Currently, my 'WS' models suffer from moderate to severe FM broadcast interference on this band.
Are the new models going to be any better?

Thanks.

The TRX-1 and 2 have improvements in the front end for improved FM radio suppression and extra firmware space for future improvements.

gcr33

Well it certainly is not vaporware. The TRX1 and TRX2 were there to be played with.

They people there from Whistler including Wendy and friends were very nice to meet with and met with Mike Oxlong also.

NXDN will be available towards the end of the year on the 1 & 2
That is the only one that will do NXDN not the 1088.

Once again thanks to Wendy and crew for their pleasant conversation amid a crush of curious scanner folk.
No guarantee on the other GRE PSR800 or RS 668 models having the ability to upgrade.
Just the facts. Enjoy from Dayton.

prcguy

I also dropped by the Whistler booth and had the same topics answered. I'll be ordering one of the new scanners as soon as they are available. The highlight of my Dayton trip was posing for a picture with Wendy and I didn't realize Mike O was there.
prcguy

Well it certainly is not vaporware. The TRX1 and TRX2 were there to be played with.

They people there from Whistler including Wendy and friends were very nice to meet with and met with Mike Oxlong also.

NXDN will be available towards the end of the year on the 1 & 2
That is the only one that will do NXDN not the 1088.

Once again thanks to Wendy and crew for their pleasant conversation amid a crush of curious scanner folk.
No guarantee on the other GRE PSR800 or RS 668 models having the ability to upgrade.
Just the facts. Enjoy from Dayton.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Staff and TRX 1 and 2. Hamvention 2016. If I understood Wendy correctly the rear of the handheld will have some type of color panel that is
changeable.

Great shots and smiling faces. Nice work.

Could have sworn I saw hello kitty in there somewhere..

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
changeable.

I see P & R Communications was being monitored. A DMR Motorola Connect Plus (TRBO) system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7764

Did you (or anyone else) notice how it performed or what was displayed? It appears the TGID wildcard was working on it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
DonS will remote control of the new scanners with software be released like it was with the PSR600 scanners. That is a feature I like very much.

Are you talking about the Win500 Remote Monitoring Client, or an Android/iOS app?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Maybe we need to lean on Wendy, Don, and Mike to get the protocol released so third parties can develop android and iOS apps? That sounds promising at least. This means the TRX (Tyrannosaurus Rex) may have a few more feature sets than the previous Ws models..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.