Pinellas P25 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngel

I have a pro-668 and up until recently i have been able to monitor Site 5 with very minor issues. Lately i am have very garbled and missed transmissions, simulcast distortion maybe? Especially yesterday during storms. I am getting 4-5 bars while monitoring site 5 from Pasco with a Radio Shack 800 antenna and also a Motorola 800mhz rubber ducky portable antenna from an actual radio.

What i am asking for is help with some setting advice. Should the trunking tables be set to custom, standard or autofill? What are the best setting numbers for Dig threshold, DAC, etc... Are you setting the trunking system to Fm or NFM, and do you use AGC?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Just a note I was using my PSR800 on mobile last weekend with mobile antenna and setting of DSP Adap 78, Global AGC to enabled, ADC Gain plus 1, DAC gain plus 1 changed from FM to NFM, also set to autofill. I didn't change Dig threshold at all. This is the second time I tried these and was very impressed on mobile. Only set to site 5.
Hope this helps Ed.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
If simulcast distortion is your problem then it's all about the antenna.

I would try pointing an 800mhz Yagi to the nearest tower site to you.

I don't mess with any of the other settings (other than decode level option in the Uniden scanners).

ngel

Pinellas system

Thinking about it I never had a problem picking up Pinellas until recently. I just had direct tv and a new brighthouse router installed maybe that is affecting my signal idk?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Could be? Might be worth shutting off all electrical appliances and turning them back on one by one. There's lots of appliances that may interfere with a scanner. Especially older ones.

Otherwise there's lots of factors that can cause a difference in reception. Some beyond your control. That's why an outdoor Yagi with a band pass filter is my go-to in reducing interference and simulcast issues.

Eznuff575

Premium Subscriber
I have the RS PRO-651 and I sit here on the 5th floor of a building in the area of Tropicana Field, I get NOTHING? If i listen to the control channel 853.6250 MHz I get a 99% signal strength but absolutely here nothing. And even when I drive through Pinellas County for work with my scanner ( I am using a 2 month old 800 MHz antenna from Rat Shack) I hear nothing. Sarasota, Manatee, Hillsborough, Polk, Orange, Pasco, you get the idea, all function properly. Can someone shed some light on what it might be, Thanks!

Doug

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
That's a Site 2 (North) cc, which carries very little traffic. Use Site 5 (Countywide) for all traffic, or Site 4 (St. Petersburg).

tmcmath

Premium Subscriber
I live in Pasco County. I get no activity on anything. I have a bc436hp. In discovery mode the only site I pick up is site 2. Is there a particular band plan I need to program for Pinellas County?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
No, the control channel provides the scanner with the band plan. Site 2 only carries a limited amount of traffic compared to Site 5, but you should hear *some* activity from site 2. You might need a better antenna.

You should be able to hear the 4 PCSO dispatch TGs and the 3 SPPD dispatch TGs on Site 2. No FR or anything else at this time, as far as I know.

Last edited:

ngel

Distortion

So i have tried many , many settings and changes and still having problems picking up Pinellas P25 site 5. The tower is give or take 5-7 miles from me. I am getting 5 bars on the 851.2000 control channel.

Weird thing that makes me feel its a band plan issue , is that on the frequencies above 856 MHz i get complete 100% decoding , however on any frequencies below 856 MHz i get a lot of distortion and problems decoding except the control channel which comes in at 5 bars. It's strange because seemed like it happened about a couple of months ago but i know of no new antenna's transmitting in the area.

Below is a video of the problem i am having. Sorry for the shaking in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVGGKVPBoZw

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I am getting 5 bars on the 851.2000 control channel.

The signal strength meter is next to useless on these digital modes. It reports the RF signal strength as received by the scanner, but what's really important is the bit-error rate which can be affected by a number of things that are not reported by the scanner. So you're back to trial and error to find the best decode performance.

kayleesdad

I can't seem to find Site 4 today. I take it ya'll are picking it up okay? What's the Site 4 control channel? Thanks,

kayleesdad

I can't seem to find Site 4 today. I take it ya'll are picking it up okay? What's the Site 4 control channel? Thanks,

Still can't find it. Searched around for the CC with a 396T and found a couple other System CC's, but not Site 4. Had to switch to Site 5 for sppd.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The site could be offline. It is not showing up as a peer on Unitrunker or ProCom96, just 2 and 12.

KD6IHY

I live in East Largo. I am new to scanning but have learned a lot about the different CC's. I programmed, individually, each CC and found the only one that seems to give me all Talk Groups is Site 5, 851.200MHz. The others didn't get all the Talk Groups if anything at all. I had 4 of the sites with over 80% Quality (WS1040/GRE-500) with a Discone 25 feet up. I now only use that one CC and my scanner is happy about it. Try it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.