Antenna Suggestions For 325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolant113

I am looking to replace the stock antenna that came with the Uniden 325P2. I mainly use it for monitoring a P25 system, and it does not seem to get the best reception. I am hoping that a different antenna would help with reception issues. I would like it to be a wideband antenna. Any suggestions would be of help.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Dual band amateur antennas make very good wide band scanner antennas.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...adio-ht-antennas-713/dual-band-with-bnc-1114/

I prefer the Comet CH-32 for it's size (1.75 inches). I have 2 of them and have used them on handheld scanners for over 20 years. They are hard plastic and extremely durable. They may not be the best but they do the job. I like to carry my scanners on my belt or in a pocket.

The Diamond RH77CA is the most popular, if you don't mind carrying a small handheld around with a 15 inch antenna.

baayers

When you receive the signal does your scanner show 4-5 bars or does it show only 1 or 2? If you have a strong signal but still are suffering from poor audio you may be dealing with simulcast distortion. If the signal is weak then it is definitely the antenna.

When I am at home I use the RadioShack center loaded telescopic antenna.
https://www.radioshack.com/products...d-telescoping-whip-antenna?variant=5717063301

When I am out of the house I use the Watson W801 antenna. At only 8 inches tall it is definitely better suited for places such as the car.
W-801 Regular Gainer BNC Portable Antenna | Scanner Master

Coolant113

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I think I am going to with the W-801 that baayers suggested. I get between 1-3 bars on the system when I get poor audio quality. My old 436hp did not have this issue as bad as the 325 does. Hopefully this antenna will do the trick.

baayers

As a fellow owner of the 325 I can say that the P25 auto setting does not always do the best job for decoding. You can try adjusting the P25 threshold to see if it makes the signal any better. In order to access this option you will first need to powerdown your scanner. Once it is turned off hold down the hold button while pressing the power button. When the orange light goes off and text appears on the screen you can let go. Once the scanner finishes booting up you can now press the menu button scroll to settings and you will find a new option labeled P25 threshold. Hopefully that will help you get better audio. Just so you are aware when you power off the scanner the threshold setting will revert back to auto. If you find adjusting the threshold setting works you will have to remember to power the scanner up each time using the instructions above and going back into the menu and changing the setting back to what you found works the best.

The W801 definitely works a lot better than the antenna Uniden supplies with the scanner. I monitor frequencies from 40 MHz – 900 MHz and the 801 does a good job. On a sidenote I know your question was originally about wideband antennas but when it comes to monitoring weaker 700/800 MHz this antenna is probably one of the best out there.

REMTRONIX 800 MHz Portable BNC Antenna | Scanner Master

This antenna was formerly known as the RadioShack 800 MHz antenna. With the recent downturn of RS Remtronix the original manufacturer of the Santana has started selling it more through vendors such a scanner master and universal radio. It has a very long history of happy customers including myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.