Maritime Public Safety Radio Network (MPSRN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
PEI's contract with Bell Aliant for their current trunk system (PICS) expires in 2016. On year 28 of their 30 year contract, the province is currently drafting plans to replace the outdated system. While there is no timeline given nor any official announcements by PEI officials, there is indeed a new emergency radio system in the works. This was mentioned in the PEI legislature last week (Nov.17-21) that the province needs a new emergency radio system and plans were being drafted. However, the PEI government wants the federal government to help pay for it and currently it doesn’t qualify for federal dollars. The topic is currently under discussion.

It is not know if PEI will join NS on their new system as reports suggest, or create their own system which would be linkable to the NS system. I expect the latter to happen. Back in 2009-10 when the plans for MRCI were being drafted it was to be a martime-wide "system". Actually is was to be 3 separate systems that could be all linked together. It makes me wonder if the province has gone back to their old plans for MRCI or have gone a completely different direction.

Either way, plans are in motion to replace PICS and it will be only a matter of time before an announcement is made.

Last edited:

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Sent an email to PEI Emergency Measures Organization requesting info on any plans to upgrade our current trunk system. To my surprise, this is the response I got.

Attachments

• pics.png
    pics.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,540

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
A few updates regarding a trunk system upgrade/replacement:

1. EHS added a talkgroup in their fleetmap called “AMB TRAV”. It was explained to me that this channel would be monitored by IEMS Ambulances when passing through Nova Scotia so they would have contact with EHS should they come across something along the way vs radioing to PEI and having PEI pick up the phone to call Nova Scotia.

2. A radio system upgrade and replacement providing complete radio interoperability in H, J and L Divisions (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island) is to be completed by Winter 2017.
[Quoted from: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/pubs/moncton/moncton-response-reponse-eng.htm]

Sources directly involved with TMR2 (Nova Scotia's 700 MHz P25 System) say PEI is "on board" with the TMR2. It is likely it will be a separate system linkable to TMR2.

No official announcement from PEI Government yet... But if they plan to have the system completed and operational by winter 2017, I'd expect an announcement early this year.

It makes me wonder if the plans for the failed MRCI have come back into effect...

Last edited:

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Sources directly involved with TMR2 (Nova Scotia's 700 MHz P25 System) say PEI is "on board" with the TMR2. It is likely it will be a separate system linkable to TMR2..

I think it is more likely that it will be the same system. We did our TMR 2 training for the FD the other night and the guy from Public Safety and Field Communications that did our training had no bones about say that coverage along the north shore of Nova Scotia is a problem area right now "but we hope that will be resolved once PEI comes online because the signal will easily carry across the water"

I asked him afterwards if PEI was a sure thing and he only stated that he was very hopeful they will be online at some point. Its all tied up in Govt.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I think it is more likely that it will be the same system. We did our TMR 2 training for the FD the other night and the guy from Public Safety and Field Communications that did our training had no bones about say that coverage along the north shore of Nova Scotia is a problem area right now "but we hope that will be resolved once PEI comes online because the signal will easily carry across the water"

I asked him afterwards if PEI was a sure thing and he only stated that he was very hopeful they will be online at some point. Its all tied up in Govt.

Thanks. That is great news. Like I mentioned above, if they plan on having PEI's side of the system operational by 2017, I'd expect an announcement early this year.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Finally an official document. I find it funny they didnt mention that it will be connected to the NS TMR 2 system. It will be one in the same with basically the PEI towers being an extension of the system. Every single TMR 2 radio currently in use right now in NS has to be physically touched by a Bell Technician due to a programming error prior to roll out so at this time, information to allow the radios to work while in PEI, IE....adding the frequencies of those new towers will be added to the radios.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Finally an official document. I find it funny they didnt mention that it will be connected to the NS TMR 2 system. It will be one in the same with basically the PEI towers being an extension of the system. Every single TMR 2 radio currently in use right now in NS has to be physically touched by a Bell Technician due to a programming error prior to roll out so at this time, information to allow the radios to work while in PEI, IE....adding the frequencies of those new towers will be added to the radios.

and I wonder why such a short migration time. Article says the system will be online by late fall 2015. So they got 7-9 months to change over all the radios, frequencies, towers, and dispatch equipment, and that ain't even mentioning if they plan on adding more towers, which is the main reason our current system has such crap reception.

Currently there are no tenders for towers, and no new frequencies licensed.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
...and no new frequencies licensed.

I would be checking spectrum direct daily. IF they show up they may not be there long as they will likely get protected status.

As far as tower tender, they may just use existing Bell Mobility towers, in conjunction with the existing PICS towers. Depending on coverage requirements the system, and locations of PICs and Bell Mobility towers, there is the possibility that they will not need to construct new sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I would be checking spectrum direct daily. IF they show up they may not be there long as they will likely get protected status.

I don't see why they would be protected. Our current system frequencies are listed and so are Nova Scotia's new system.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I don't see why they would be protected. Our current system frequencies are listed and so are Nova Scotia's new system.

While I will admit, I know little about PICS, or the NS system, AFRRCS in Alberta started out listed, but eventually went protected.

I am actually surprised the NS system is not protected considering RCMP is on it... Nothing they use in western Canada is visible in Spectrum Direct. Heck even Alberta Health Services is protected in Alberta. In BC, AB, and YT any radio system the RCMP uses is protected.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
While I will admit, I know little about PICS, or the NS system, AFRRCS in Alberta started out listed, but eventually went protected.

I am actually surprised the NS system is not protected considering RCMP is on it... Nothing they use in western Canada is visible in Spectrum Direct. Heck even Alberta Health Services is protected in Alberta. In BC, AB, and YT any radio system the RCMP uses is protected.

Oh, thanks.. Good to know!

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
More info on the system, as written in The Guardian newspaper. P.E.I.'s emergency radio system upgraded - Local - The Guardian

This new P.E.I.-only integrated radio system is significantly less expensive, but will cost the province $3 million for the actual hardware and an additional $1 million per year in operating costs on top of the existing $1 million in annual operational expenses.

The province is working with Bell Mobility to implement this new radio system. This means new towers will not need to be built, as Bell will utilize its existing towers in P.E.I., increasing the number of towers used for emergency frequencies from six to 15.

"The coverage is improved to almost 95 per cent of our province versus about 65 per cent (currently)," said Pat Kelly, a 911 provincial co-ordinator for the P.E.I. Office of Public Safety.

He added this new system would also allow Island first responders to communicate with their counterparts if they are assisting on a call in Nova Scotia.

This project did not go to tender, Kelly said, explaining it is an extension of an existing contract with Bell for similar services.

The province hopes to have the new radio system up and running by late fall of 2015.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
all communication between law enforcement officials, dispatchers, paramedics and firefighters will be secured from eavesdropping residents and journalists who own a police scanner.

Except no....thats not true. Police will be encrypted but when they talk to fire or EHS it will happen on MA Channels and be unencrypted...just like it is today with the RCMP

caper4g

Premium Subscriber
I suppose it may have been some budgeting constraints. This has been the case for several years when they began considering a more secure way to communicate.

This I do know....With the RCMP, EHS and now Municipal police force going encrypted, it spells the end for home and portable scanners. Even if manufacturere could find a means to decode to frequencies, it would just turn into a cat and mouse game that would only spell large amounts of dollars out of pocket for everyone.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
.....EHS is not going encrypted, nor is the fire department. The article in the CB Post was poorly written. CBRM Police may be going encrypted but EHS and Fire are not. Encryption is EXTREMELY cost prohibitive. Dont stress...still lots to listen to.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
EHS is not going encrypted, nor is the fire department

I don't mean to go off topic, but been hearing reports that Island EMS want encryption on the new system... I can't see this happening though.

Status
Not open for further replies.