Speech inversion board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackswan73

Does anybody know where to find the foil pattern for the descrambler below. I used to have it, but it got lost decades ago. If my memory is correct, it appeared in a Radio-Electronics issue years ago.
mail.blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/mil/scram/ne602_descrambler.png

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm not sure where you'd find it, but it might be scarce since its been illegal to market them for several years now. Don Noble Electronics made the DNE-12 which I had, & it was easy to repackage it inside a scanner or speaker. Ramsey Electronics made the SS-70 which was either fully assembled or in kit form but I never used one. However there is a Android app which works fairly well once you learn how it works. It called " Phantom I/O voice scrambler". There is also a pro version without ads. :wink: 73, n9zas

Blackswan73

As far as I understand, they were never illegal, unless it was a local jurisdiction law. The circuit and foil pattern was published either in RE, or EI don't remember which. Ramsey was still selling the SS70 last year before they went out of business, many ham radios have it built in. The DS49 is still available in kit form, or wired.

Edit: perhaps I should clarify. Ramsey did not go out of business, the discontinued their hobby kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

gewecke

Banned
True, the chinese import talkies sport inversion boards in them. Motorola Gmrs/frs radios have had them too. Perhaps the only reason I can see to have one. But indeed the inversion scrambling kits are now illegal to market thanks to the Fcc and its been the case for a few years now. :wink: 73, n9zas

ecps92

You must mean Descrambling kits
True, the chinese import talkies sport inversion boards in them. Motorola Gmrs/frs radios have had them too. Perhaps the only reason I can see to have one. But indeed the inversion scrambling kits are now illegal to market thanks to the Fcc and its been the case for a few years now. :wink: 73, n9zas

toastycookies

As far as I understand, they were never illegal, unless it was a local jurisdiction law. The circuit and foil pattern was published either in RE, or EI don't remember which. Ramsey was still selling the SS70 last year before they went out of business, many ham radios have it built in. The DS49 is still available in kit form, or wired.

Edit: perhaps I should clarify. Ramsey did not go out of business, the discontinued their hobby kits.

SS70C - Speech Scrambler/Descrambler Kit - Solder version

fredva

Feed Provider
Regarding the legality, I believe I've seen people make the case that descrambling/decoding radio transmissions that the owner of the system has made an effort to scramble may be the illegality, regardless of technology used. It's been awhile since I've seen that discussion though.

wbswetnam

Or I might just pick up a chinacom radio with the inversion feature. :). 73, n9zas

A couple of years ago I got a Puxing 777 which says in the Chinglish instruction manual that it has a "scrambler / descrambler", but... the feature doesn't work. Also you have to keep in mind that with analog voice inversion, there is a "pivot point" around which the speech inversion centers. To successfully descramble any signal, you have to be able to adjust the pivot point to match that of the signal you wish to descramble, otherwise you still have the Donald Duck sounding audio.

Now, to descramble your local PD, it's actually pretty easy. What you really need is... oh gosh look the mail just arrived.

schleeb

Scrambler/Descrambler

It's probably disabled since it is illegal in the US to scramble amateur radio broadcasts. You'd know this if you had a license.. or should. It's a big No No.

gewecke

Banned
Yep, been doing the descrambling bit for years. Every since the old cordless phones used inversion scrambling on some models. I still have a working Dne-12, and the Phantom app on my phone. :). 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.