• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using Amplified Speaker With Scanner -- Ground Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8WJG

I want to use a NSN6027A with a handheld scanner (BC125AT) as my sole mobile equipment. It works and has plenty of volume (blows you out of the car at max) but I have a ground loop problem. The antenna is a 1/4 VHF spike on a trunk-lip mount, and the hum/whine gets worse when I connect the antenna to the scanner. I notice changes in the noise when I open and close the trunk lid, so it's pretty obvious.

For what it's worth, for the DC power, I'm using a cigarette lighter plug (don't judge me...) The AF input is just a simple cord with a 1/8 mono plug. I knew before I even turned on the ignition that I would get a ground loop, because I had just one of the AF wires hooked up and was getting audio. It must be through the antenna, because when I disconnect the BNC, the noise is reduced. I tried using a mag mount -- it reduced the hum/whine, but it also cut the audio output in half.

What can I do to eliminate, or, at the very least, reduce the noise? What am I doing wrong?

Would bonding straps on the trunk lid do any good?

Must I resort to using expensive chokes or suppressors? That's not something I really want to do because the whole idea of this $60 scanner/$20 speaker was to keep costs down and keep things simple.

I realize that these speakers weren't designed to be used with handheld scanners, but I used one with mobile scanner for years and didn't have any ground loop issues.

n0nhp

The scanner is using a balanced audio output (gets more power to speaker with less voltage). In other words the "speaker ground" is not DC ground potential. The amplified speaker is using audio ground at DC ground potential so the audio amp in the scanner is not happy. An audio transformer with isolated input/output should cure the problem. A ground loop isolator from your local stereo shop or any audio transformer 8 to 40 ohms impedance on input and output will work. You can overcome impedance loss with your amplified speaker and a little loss may not be too bad anyhow.

Bruce

KC8WJG

Your explanation makes sense. I'm looking at GL isolators on eBay right now, and the only question I have at this point is are they mostly the same, price notwithstanding? I'm seeing some in the $10-$12 range with the 3.5 MM plug set up that look like they would meet my needs except that they all configured for stereo rather than mono. Will I have to convert them to mono or will it matter?

Thank you Bruce for your reply.

n0nhp

It should work fine with mono plugs. The other side of the transformer will just be shorted out to the barrel of the plug.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.