2015 Ford Super Duty Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowbandGuy

Remote Location Maritime Provinces, Canada
Seems like its been a while since posting any pictures. I recently did a presentation at an Amateur Radio Symposium in Amherst, Nova Scotia. The presentation was on Proper Installation of Mobile VHF/UHF Radios in Vehicles. From following this forum over the years opinions will vary, so I will start sharing a few pictures of the installation. In this truck the following radios were mounted: Motorola XPR5550, Yaseu FTM350AR and a Motorola PM1200 lowband.

Attachments

• IMG_00000245.jpg
    IMG_00000245.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,926

PACNWDude

Would like to see more. Nice set of radios to install. Remote heads should be fairly easy to install and look nice.

Full size Ford truck has a lot of room to stash radios and gear.

LowbandGuy

Thank you for the comment about the radios. This truck is an extended cab, so room was tight for mounting on the back cab wall. The procedure for removal of the seat back is available from the dealer, so it was no big problem to remove. One of the things I picked up following this forum was to use longer remote cables. One just has to run them under the edge of the floor mat, quite simple to do. Also makes it easier to uninstall when taking out the equipment. It's more fun to be doing an install! Here are a couple pictures showing the mounting locations.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,581
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,624

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
Looking good!

It is interesting to see how Ford changes some things in the construction of the cab but other items are not. For example, they went cheap on the back cover. My 2003 F350 crew has a full cover with no cut-outs that goes up an over the metal where the rear glass is at. Also, the backing of the rear seat is part of the seat.

I like where you put the grounding cable I am going to do the same. ;)

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Are we missing some pictures or have you just not uploaded them all yet? I only see the radios sitting in the truck bed and then the bodies of the radios behind the seat. How about the actual operating position? We're all anxious to see the full install. :D

LowbandGuy

Sorry about that I thought I had posted the location of the radio heads. I'm quite happy with the location of the 2 Motorola radios, not so happy about the location of the Yaesu it could be in the air bag deployment zone. I didn't want to give up too much of the console area and cup holders. I know some mount their radios inside the console but I wanted that for storage,

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3,893

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Looking good!

It is interesting to see how Ford changes some things in the construction of the cab but other items are not. For example, they went cheap on the back cover. My 2003 F350 crew has a full cover with no cut-outs that goes up an over the metal where the rear glass is at. Also, the backing of the rear seat is part of the seat.

I like where you put the grounding cable I am going to do the same. ;)

You mean like this? This is a 2013 F-150. My 2011 was the same.

EDIT: Well, the photo didn't make it. I'll try again

Attachments

• IMG_2892 copy.jpg
    IMG_2892 copy.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,518
Last edited:

LowbandGuy

And here is one from my last truck for comparison, a 2011 Ford F150 extended cab. The radios for this install was a Yaesu FTM350AR, Motorola CDM1250 VHF and a CDM1250 low band.

Attachments

• Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,398
Last edited:

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
You mean like this? This is a 2013 F-150. My 2011 was the same.
That is actually a really nice install K5BBC. If you dont already have your own thread you should. I like the rigrunner .. seems like everyone would be using them to me. But that is just me ..

;)

LowbandGuy

Are the top mounts custom? It looks like they over the top of the dash. Is that correct?

Yes they are custom mounts from ProClip specific to the Super Duty. The one on the left is fitted with an adjustable bracket used for an IPhone 6, the one on the right has a v style clip that the Yaesu fastens to. Only having a suction cup mount supplied with the FTM350 wasn't one of Yaesu's better ideas. I just used a mounting wing nut from a Motorola radio screwed into the back of the remote head to hold it into place. Same threads so no modification needed. It has crossed my mind quite a few times as to why the mic cord and the cable going to the radio body are placed the way they are. They should be reversed.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Here is how I mounted some in a 2015 super duty the department wanted everything accessible for service. Sound off remote siren Kenwood High power VHF and medium power UHF It is all under the fold up jump seat protected by an ABS plastic cover so nothing can be shoved under where all he fuses are.

Attachments

• 20160216_113959.jpg
    20160216_113959.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,581
  • 20160216_113959 (1).jpg
    20160216_113959 (1).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,760
  • 20160216_154739.jpg
    20160216_154739.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,592

LowbandGuy

Here is how I mounted some in a 2015 super duty the department wanted everything accessible for service. Sound off remote siren Kenwood High power VHF and medium power UHF It is all under the fold up jump seat protected by an ABS plastic cover so nothing can be shoved under where all he fuses are.

I have another install to complete and I've decided to place the remote bodies under the rear seat rather than on the back wall like I did in the Super Duty. The one I need to finish is in a crew cab so lots of space under the rear seats. The Super Duty is my work truck so maximizing space is important.

LowbandGuy

Every time I sit down to post a few more pictures I get called away, so here it goes. The next few pictures shows how I ran the power wires to the radios. 6 guage wire was used from the battery to the Blue Sea Fuse holder. The power wire is fused close to the battery and the ground goes from the fuse block to a bolt in the back of the cab. In the Ford trucks there is a rubber plug under the dash, there was a cut made into and the power wire fished through it. The power wire is then run under the plastic moulding along the floor. The fuse block is mounted to a bracket the back seat rests on.

Attachments

• 24-1.jpg
    24-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,096
  • 24-2.jpg
    24-2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,010
  • 24-3.jpg
    24-3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 24-4.jpg
    24-4.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,933

PACNWDude

Very nice installation. Thank you for sharing pictures.

The remote control heads look nice up front, and you still kept the cup holders too.

Status
Not open for further replies.