• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Why does MOTOTRBO cause chopper/motorboat/jackhammer sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2FLO

Why is it that my MOTOTRBO radio appears to interfere with a bad speakermic causing my audio to have that sound but not with a /\/\ branded one? Same goes for the MD-380, but with a speakermic people recommended online as not having this problem?

In addition, why is it that this is only a problem for MOTOTRBO and not FM, AM, P25, and pretty much every other modulation?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
MotoTrbo and a few other modes, like P25 phase 2, use TDM, or Time Domain Multiplexing. This is where (in simple terms) the radio only transmits in certain timeslots, not 100% of the time. This results in the radio rapidly switching between transmit and receive very quickly. This pulsed energy comes across as the motorboat sound you hear. You can often hear this if you hold the radio close to a computer speaker and transmit. Your GSM phone will do the same thing.

Likely cause is there is an issue with the speaker mic, either not proper shielding or something missing/damaged that is allowing this pulsed RF energy to get into the speaker.

Cheap Chinese speaker mics may be an issue if they really are not designed for this sort of environment. Sounds like your Motorola mic is.

FM, AM, P25 phase 1, NXDN, etc. will all do this, but since it isn't TDM/pulsed RF, it'll usually only pop in a speaker when you first key up.

N4KVE

The $4 speaker mikes have no shielding, & are garbage. Running right by the antenna, it picks up the pulsing of the radio. Try the same garbage mike with an external antenna, & the noise won't happen. Just buy a proper speaker mike.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Still, personal attacks on an individual person are hitting below the belt.
Folks, Mars_P25 has received a temporary ban until other moderators can deal with his personal attacks in this thread.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread cleaned up.

People, instead of feeding the troll, report the post and move on. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing people engage him which leads to a much larger clean up job.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
People, instead of feeding the troll, report the post and move on.
Mike, I apologize for being one of those who fed the troll. Now that I know where the "Report" icon is located, I'll use it in the future.

I know quite well the amount of work involved, as I've been a Global Moderator at two of the world's largest "flight simulator forums" for almost twenty years... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.